--
Passport Req..
--
VISA ISSUED...
--
LANDED..........
--
mexicanito said:
I live in Edmonton and I am almost crying while I contemplate how close winter is... I was born in Los Angeles but raised in mexico city, and then went back to L.A. ... so the food and the weather here are very very bad for me... I haven't fund ONE real mexican restaurant and it took me about 5 months to find a place selling tortillas (several pounds gained since...) and actually if CIC would deny me PR I would just make a party because it would mean we would go back to the states... but Canada has many things that are cool... so... honestly, I surrender to His divine plan...
When we got my husbands passport request I was like "oh yay! Finally almost done! So exciting" and he was like "ok. So I can get a job now? cool." Pretty underwhelmed. haha. Good Mexican food is damn near impossible to find up here. We drive to the states because we're really close to the border for decent Mexican... which is only decent not great, like Mexico or California but it's definitely better than Canada's. We finally just found a place that sells corn tortillas up here like 2 weeks ago.

Charlamag

Aug 31, 2011
You won't find great Mexican food in Canada because it doesn't have a lot of Mexican influence. Simple. Just like you won't find poutine in most States, nor white vinegar or gravy on your fries and when you ask for tea you have to make sure you tell them hot because they usually sell it iced.
My husband is American and having lived in California for years, we solved the issue of Mexican food by making our own. You can buy the stuff to make your own and introduce the flavours to everyone around you. Easy. We've made great giant stuffed burritos and churros...it can be done and it's fun!
What would he say about his move to Canada after living in warm California? He says it all the time - love of a woman brought him to Canada and has given him not only more family, but opportunity to experience a different culture, way of life, food and to understand the history of a great country. It wasn't that he didn't give a cr@p about Canada - he, being American, just didn't think about it. Now he lives in it, he is in love with all that it is, a vast, magnificent, culturally diverse and historically rich country, filled with generous, articulate and friendly people and yes, that includes the winters. He loves the sense of community of spirit that he finds here - the idea that most Canadians have no problem with paying taxes to ensure that all their citizens have access to health care and that seniors are taken care. Sometimes we think about how nice it would be to sit outside a cafe in Cali in January -but it's a fleeting moment in time all things considered. He is counting the days down to citizenship and we are enjoying the beauty of a fall day without the snow that the family back in Colorado just got or the drought our friends in Texas just endured.....I'm glad we are together and he has fallen in love with his new country without complaint. It's an amazing time!

achkorea

Star Member
Mar 3, 2010
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2011
AOR Received.
22-06-2011
File Transfer...
09-06-2011
Med's Request
Medical received 31-10-2011 (Medical exp., new med request) May/2012
Med's Done....
11-04-2011 (2nd Med compl May/2012)
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
Passport biopage and mailing address req. 17-8-12
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2012
LANDED..........
24-12-2012
I for one love the fact that I'm from a country that allows me the opportunity to marry the man I love, yes I too am a man. Most countries like to pretend we don't exist or at least wish we didnt exist. There is a process to immigrate to any country, no system is better than the next. If you don't want to be in Canada for yourself, then don't come and allow the people who truly want to live in what has long been considered the greatest country in the world to live. There are literally millions of people who dream of one day becoming residents of Canada. Maybe I'm more patient than most because I know the end result is worth it. We've been preparing for two years and it has been worth every moment. For those who are growing tired of waiting: stay patient and stay positive. Good luck to all of you who truly want to become PR's and maybe even citizens.

sahm2boys

Star Member
Aug 9, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2011
AOR Received.
28-12-2011
File Transfer...
16-11-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2012
LANDED..........
05-04-2012
rjessome said:
I really shouldn't do this but I will.

Dear Applicant,

I'm trying. There are so many of you! I've tried my best to make the process as straightforward as possible but I know there are flaws. At least I don't "make" you hire someone to help you, unlike other countries that will remain unnamed. But some of you really should get help because you keep messing up my beautiful application forms and not providing me with the information I asked for. Anyhoo, I hope you realize that I've had to decrease my budget by 5% each of the last two years. While I didn't experience the full brunt of the recession I still had some major pains.

It would also be nice if the weirdos and creeps would stop taking advantage of my children. When my kids go and fall in love with these people only to realize they were just being used, who do you think they come crying to? ME! Like I'm supposed to just know that the person you claimed was the "love of your life" in your application and who you begged me to let in, even when I sometimes tried to show you they were not true, was really the scum of the earth and just wanted to take advantage of me and you? I'm sorry but I'm no fortune teller and I can't read people's minds. Besides, you are supposed to know them much better than I can. Yes, I called you "children" but really, I'm not your mother.

And since we are at it, could you remind folks not to send me fake stuff? That might speed things up if I could actually trust that what you send me is real. You know who you are.

I won't compromise on making it easier for those with a criminal history or who may be a danger to others. You reap what you sow and I'm sorry but I don't want you. It took a lot of hard work to make this a great country. I'm not going to let anyone mess it up.

To all of you other wonderful people, stay strong and be patient. Be confident that if you've been honest with me and given me everything I need to know, then you will be treated fairly. I am happy to welcome all those who want to be reunited with their partners and to work together to make me strong.

Not to brag or anything but while I'm far from perfect, I think I'm worth the wait. Hopefully we will live a long and happy life together.

Sincerely,

Canada
The True North Strong and Free (and proud of it)
Very, very nicely said! Thank you for this :)

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
HAHA this is a cool thread, my wife is also an American, she's from Houston, she's always lived in the southern USA.

However, (and this did shock me a bit) she's adjusted well to the whole climate thing. We got some pretty cold days here in November in Calgary, where for about 3 days it went down to -25 C (with the wind chill).

She was ok with it, (she has top of the line winter cloths and boots), she told me "as long as I have good winter cloths on I don't really feel it".

She also said "Id rather have this than the Houston July humidity, there is only so many cloths you can take of in the summer".

I was a little surprised, but I do understand. I went to Houston in June and almost died from the heat and humidity it made me more miserable than the winters up here.

My wife is a proud American and loves Houston, but she admitted to me she could never go back. She's shocked by the peaceful life up here, cleanliness and low crime rate. (Growing up in Houston she has seen and heard of a lot of crime, despite living in a nice suburb).

Well it sucks but we'll wait, I sure as hell don't want to go live in the States.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
CharlieD10 said:
Haha, nice!

Mine would read something like:

Dear Canada,

Even though we've never met, I feel I know you already. This is because I love and cherish one of your sons, and daily I hear from him how wonderful you are and how much there is to be learned from you.

You're worried that if I meet you as a visitor, I may never want to leave, even if you ask me to. However, if you would consult with your neighbour to the south, you would hear only good things about my habits as a visitor, and they would even tell you that I am welcome to return to their abode to visit at any time over the next 8 years or so.

However, since you won't let me visit, we have decided to ask for me to remain permanently instead. I realise I'm one of millions, and therefore undeserving of any special attention, but it would be really nice if your employees at least acknowledged that they had received this request of ours, and didn't make us feel like beggars at the door, including your very own son.

Looking forward (in hope) to meeting you soon,

Charlie.
Charlie: Are you saying you have a 10-year visa to the USA but Canada has refused you a temporary visa? Ridiculous!!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
toby said:
Charlie: Are you saying you have a 10-year visa to the USA but Canada has refused you a temporary visa? Ridiculous!!
Haha, toby, yes.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
CharlieD10 said:
Haha, toby, yes.
I have heard from several people who migrated from China to other countries (e.g. USA, England, etc) that Canada is the most stringent (or its that "fussy"?) in giving out visas.

Why would this be? Is Canada considered to be more desirable? I can't see why.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
I have heard from several people who migrated from China to other countries (e.g. USA, England, etc) that Canada is the most stringent (or its that "fussy"?) in giving out visas.

Why would this be? Is Canada considered to be more desirable? I can't see why.
Yep, number 1 immigration destination on the planet. Apparently, if they could, 1 BILLION people would immigrate here. How's THAT for popular?? :p

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
rjessome said:
Yep, number 1 immigration destination on the planet. Apparently, if they could, 1 BILLION people would immigrate here. How's THAT for popular?? :p
I hear (or rather my wife overhears) Chinese people talking about all the government freebies one gets upon landing in Canada. I don't think there are so many freebies. No CPP for people who haven't worked years i Canada. No Old Age Security either, I believe.

About the only thing a new immigrant could expect would be welfare, and CIC screens for financial stability before giving an immigrant a visa.

Nonetheless, that is the common belief, which might explain Canada's popularity. We are seen as a giant source of money, ready to be bilked by immigrants. If the government made sure that would-be immigrants knew the truth, that billion would reduce itself quickly, I expect, and save CIC a lot of time processing unnecessary applications.

Editsniper

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-10-2011
Doc's Request.
17-01-2012
File Transfer...
28-12-2011
Med's Done....
14-09-2011
Interview........
Not Needed
Passport Req..
17-01-2012 (Letter received 30-01-2012-Passport arrived CEM 10-02-2012)
VISA ISSUED...
14-03-2012
LANDED..........
soon...
yes i agree its the fraudsters fault for ruining our Visa process and taking forever, if it wasnt for them we would be accepted sponsorship in 2 weeks and Manila office would only be 3 to 4 months, because its crazy that we meet that someone we love so much and enter into marriage and then the government looks at u like ur a criminal and that ur love or marriage is not genuine. I can understand their point when the couple only knew each other for couple days or a week, it does raise suspicion but when u have known ur wife for 4 years talking online and on phone and spending 4 months with her in total in her country, this should not raise suspicion and shouldnt be looked at of not being genuine.

I LOVE MY WIFE SO MUCH AND WANT HER HERE :'(

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
I hear (or rather my wife overhears) Chinese people talking about all the government freebies one gets upon landing in Canada. I don't think there are so many freebies. No CPP for people who haven't worked years i Canada. No Old Age Security either, I believe.

About the only thing a new immigrant could expect would be welfare, and CIC screens for financial stability before giving an immigrant a visa.

Nonetheless, that is the common belief, which might explain Canada's popularity. We are seen as a giant source of money, ready to be bilked by immigrants. If the government made sure that would-be immigrants knew the truth, that billion would reduce itself quickly, I expect, and save CIC a lot of time processing unnecessary applications.
Yes, there are definitely falacies out there. But you realize that Canada also offers freedoms and human rights not available in many countries as well as opportunities and a healthy economy. There are lots of bright, entreprenurial people out there in the world that want to be able to start businesses without having to go through mountains of red tape. It's pretty easy to start a business in Canada. I've owned two that have both been successful and had no family money to back me, just a lot of hard work and determination. I know in some other countries I would have never been able to get off the ground. I talk to immigrants all the time and a pretty common theme is that they just want a chance to be rewarded for hard work and talent. Lots are so full of energy and ideas but their own countries bury them in politics and poor government. They also get stifled by the common belief amongst the people that there is no hope. I've seen that with my own eyes. Of course this isn't every immigrant. And there are plenty of Canadians born and raised who foster negative beliefs and lack drive and ambition. Just saying that there is some great talent out there with a willingness to work their butts off here in Canada.

USA offers pretty much the same thing in many ways but with a struggling economy and several years of a right wing agenda, it's lost some of its luster. It will get it back.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I agree with everything you say about being able to thrive on hard work and inspiration, etc etc, but the Chinese conversations my wife overheard definitely weren't referring to that; they were referring to government handouts, practically at the airport upon landing. That is a different expectation that Canada would do well to squelch -- in several ways but chiefly by means of a warning in bold letters, in every visa application, that immigrants are not entitled to freebies at the expense of Canadian taxpayers.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
I agree with everything you say about being able to thrive on hard work and inspiration, etc etc, but the Chinese conversations my wife overheard definitely weren't referring to that; they were referring to government handouts, practically at the airport upon landing. That is a different expectation that Canada would do well to squelch -- in several ways but chiefly by means of a warning in bold letters, in every visa application, that immigrants are not entitled to freebies at the expense of Canadian taxpayers.
Canada is a multicultural society and we all supports multiculturalism. There is no question about that, although the government is decreasing its funding in some newcomers programs.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Canada is a multicultural society and we all supports multiculturalism. There is no question about that, although the government is decreasing its funding in some newcomers programs.
I don't think what toby is referring to has anything to do with multiculturalism. He's talking about this false belief system that Canada hands out freebies at the door. Very far from the truth but hey, if folks want to believe it, let 'em. The truth will smack them extra hard when they arrive. And the decreased funding in settlement funds is mostly to Ontario which makes sense because fewer immigrants are going there. Saskatchewan and Manitoba are the places to be these days.