+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

Ronak529

Star Member
Dec 27, 2022
One quick question I have just got my ITN number for importing my car on 29th of this month and have already send email to US customs at Lewiston bridge.
1.Do I need to send my title ahead to USA Border at Lewiston bridge or I can carry my title with me. I understand they will be stamping my Title, and I have to take that to Canadian Border .
2. I am Filling up the RIV form online and will be submitting it . Do I need to do any thing else for canada Border check.
3. I have purchased few items like Couch, carpets , patio furniture etc which is not in my Good to follow list . Do I need to declare them at the border .
4. I will carrying my car back of my Uhaul truck in car carrier . is there enough place to park both so that the US border guys can do inspection of the car .
1) take title with you
2) no
3) yes because they will be pulling you over to check your uhaul
4) there is designated parking, officer will guide you

sridharn39

Sep 2, 2024
Hello,

I stay in Windsor and have a Vaild H1B expiring this sep 30. I‘ll be traveling to Detroit tomorrow for my extension. Can you please add me to the relevant group please ?

NJvv

Aug 27, 2020
Hey everyone, This blog has been really helpful and I would appreciate your insights on the following questions.

1. Is working on H-1B in Seattle, WA on weekdays and spending weekends (3 days) in Vancouver, BC ok to meet residency obligations for Canada PR?

2. Has anyone applied for their Canada citizenship while commuting daily/weekly/weekends between US & Canada?

3. Do you keep your primary address in Canada and secondary in the US?

4. How can one maintain strong ties to Canada except for a bank account, phone number, DL, & a rental lease?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hey everyone, This blog has been really helpful and I would appreciate your insights on the following questions.

1. Is working on H-1B in Seattle, WA on weekdays and spending weekends (3 days) in Vancouver, BC ok to meet residency obligations for Canada PR?

2. Has anyone applied for their Canada citizenship while commuting daily/weekly/weekends between US & Canada?

3. Do you keep your primary address in Canada and secondary in the US?

4. How can one maintain strong ties to Canada except for a bank account, phone number, DL, & a rental lease?
1. You need to do your math. Meeting RO is 730 days within rolling 5 years. To meet citizenship, you need 3 years.

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Is this even allowed? What is the address you will show on your payslips for tax returns? Since you don't have a residence in US? If that's the case can one work remotely as well?
The person will need to maintain to maintain a US address. Otherwise the company and the person will be soup at some time. Company, if caught - may have to heavy pentalties/fines (if the person doesnt have a valid US address. Second - if the person goes for a canada address, then the concept of H1b becomes invalid. Third - Company will have to some sort of taxes for using an overseas worker. Fourth - the person in question will be treated as Non resident in the US and will be taxed accordingly (30% flat). Fifth - the person will have to file taxes in both the US and Canada (ofcourse they can claim deduction based on what they file in each country).

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for your revert! So this frequent travel between US - Canada to meet Canada PR RO is considered ok, correct?
Yes and no. But how do you accumulate 3 years if you work in US during the week and only come back to Canada on weekends?
This is a rolling 5 years and if you want to "use the days you had accumulated before you started working in US and was living mostly in Canada", you will be "losing those days" later on.

You will also need support from your employer and the issue with H1-B if you don't live in US.

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
So my employer is ok with amendment for any location in the 50 states (remote working) in the US. With my canada PR, I want to travel from canada to the US for work and then go back to canada to maintain my PR. Employer will be paying me in USD in my US bank account. In this case, there should be no problem right? I mean I understand that I am liable to pay tax in both countries which will be adjusted eventually with DTAA. My understanding from reading previous comments is - nexus is required for convenient cross border travel. Also, I own a home in the US (Georgia) so my employer can deduct state tax as per that address? Please suggest. Or do I need to lease something in the city where I want to work (buffalo or detroit)? In this case, does US consider you a resident if you work traveling to the US?