+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Customs declaration card

nana300000

Apr 10, 2017
Hello,

On Sunday we're going to arrive to Toronto, my common-law partner and I (I will be an international graduate student at UofT) , and we have a question regarding customs.

We read at the CBSA website that we will have to fill a declaration card on the plane that we'll have to present to the customs officer once we land.

We didn't understand whether we should fill one card for both of us or one card for each.

In addition we wondered whether the 10000 CAD limitation for declaration is for each of us (so if we bring in total less than 20000 CAD we don't have to declare) or 10000 CAD for both (for instance if we have to fill the same form). We would like to bring as much money we can in order to have it for the start, but would be happy to avoid declaration and interrogation if possible.

And a last question- do you know if we (and I as a student) count as visitors or residents?

Thank you very much for the help!

Usama_qasim

Aug 22, 2017
It's 10,000 CAD per person and students count as temporary residents, as they are issued a temporary resident visa ( TRV).

N

newtoexpressentry

Hello,

On Sunday we're going to arrive to Toronto, my common-law partner and I (I will be an international graduate student at UofT) , and we have a question regarding customs.

We read at the CBSA website that we will have to fill a declaration card on the plane that we'll have to present to the customs officer once we land.

We didn't understand whether we should fill one card for both of us or one card for each.

In addition we wondered whether the 10000 CAD limitation for declaration is for each of us (so if we bring in total less than 20000 CAD we don't have to declare) or 10000 CAD for both (for instance if we have to fill the same form). We would like to bring as much money we can in order to have it for the start, but would be happy to avoid declaration and interrogation if possible.

And a last question- do you know if we (and I as a student) count as visitors or residents?

Thank you very much for the help!
then dont bring cash use travelers cheques which can be deposited in bank . bring under 10000 in cash and then bring rest in travelers cheques. I dont think its recommended to bring this much cash

nana300000

Apr 10, 2017
Thank you very much for the response.
From what I understand from the website it doesn't matter if it is traveler checks or cash, all type of money you carry on you is counted in the 10000 CAD.
We just didn't understand if it is per person or for both of us together.

Thank you for all the tips!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
See here http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.html

Each individual is responsible for declaring the cash on their person over 10000 CAN , that includes any currency that goes above that amount.

If you had less than 10k between you and at same address then only a single card would be required but my understanding is separate cards if declaring more than 10k on one or other person but I could be wrong as I would bank transfer that amount anyway.

End of day its not illegal and not such a big amount to cause any issues so just declare and be done, not declaring not advised even if a dollar over in any currency.

Also even if you get the forms wrong most CBSA officers are flexible and understanding enough with genuine mistakes but as said if in any doubt always declare is the advice and filling in 2 forms even if only one required not end of the world.

Last edited:

mbshez

Nov 30, 2015
Calgary
you can bring as much money as you want as long as you declare it and can prove that it is legitimately acquired. 10,000 is not a limit, its the amount you are allowed in without declaration.

nana300000

Apr 10, 2017
Thank you all again for all the information.
I understand it is not a limit, it just that we prefer not to declare just not to have to show the source of each part of the sum.
I just wanted to know if we are two people are we allow to bring 20000 in total without declaration, or 10000. It is a bit vague from the form and the website...