+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CSQ spouse sponsorship inland timeline 2024

SkyEarth

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
Very helpful, thanks!

I thought I already got the Sponsor Approval/Eligibility letter back in February - I needed it to submit the application to MIFI. It says "We are pleased to inform that you have met the federal eligibility requirements as a sponsor." My partner is a Canadian citizen so I didn't expect any issue with that part. Is there another eligibility step?

Edit: I looked through the timeline in your signature and found IRCC SA1 before the CSQ and IRCC SA2 after. I think that answers my question. Thanks for putting so much detail there :)
lol you're welcome! I'm glad my timeline helped!

Yeah, the invitation to apply to MIFI usually indicates you've already met the federal eligibility requirements, but they can't put the official stamp on it until Quebec also approves. So that's why they need that proof of approval from MIFI before they can send out the AIP,SA, or Pre-Arrival Services letters. You can see in my timeline that once I submitted the CSQ approval things from MIFI via webform it only took about 3 weeks to get the Approved In Principle letter from IRCC :)

mys1138

Jun 17, 2016
Hi! I'm happy to help bring transparency where I can and answer any questions. The Open Work Permit that I received is valid for two years from the point that is was approved. So I got the approval on Jan 22, 2024, and the expiry is Jan 22, 2026. Most OWPs are going to be valid for 2 years. If you receive your PR card before the OWP's expiry date, you will not need to renew the work permit.

For some context as well, I've been monitoring things pretty closely with regard to QC processing times for PR (Inland was at 24 months in QC when I applied in Nov 2023), and I am seeing that the people who applied around Nov 2022 are starting to receive their PR Cards about now. With luck, I hope that this will be the case (or sooner) for my group, too, which would hopefully mean that I could receive PR in around 18-20 months instead of 24 -- if that holds true, then I would receive my PR card around May - July 2025 and I would not have to worry about renewing my OWP :)

Hopefully this answer helps! ^^
This is very helpful, thank you so much for the answer!

qcacz

Aug 16, 2024
Hello @SkyEarth I am sort of confused by reading all the posts in the different forums. Some information is not the same as on IRCC and MIFI websites.

I am sponsoring my husband who is from Czech Republic. We sent the inland spousal sponsorship application on July 18 and still waiting on AOR. Per my understanding, we could apply to QC upon receipt of my AOR (spouse) and we could apply for the SOWP upon receipt of my husband’s AOR (PA), this is clearly stated on IRCC’s website. But when reading the comments here, people seem to apply to both QC and SOWP with the sponsor’s AOR. Can someone confirm?

Also, on MIFI’s website, it states that when we submit our documents and they approve the sponsorship, MIFI coordinates with IRCC. But this is not what I am reading here.. the whole CSQ thing has got me confused.

Any clarifications would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Last edited:

SkyEarth

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
Hello @SkyEarth I am sort of confused by reading all the posts in the different forums. Some information is not the same as on IRCC and MIFI websites.

I am sponsoring my husband who is from Czech Republic. We sent the inland spousal sponsorship application on July 18 and still waiting on AOR. Per my understanding, we could apply to QC upon receipt of my AOR (spouse) and we could apply for the SOWP upon receipt of my husband’s AOR (PA), this is clearly stated on IRCC’s website. But when reading the comments here, people seem to apply to both QC and SOWP with the sponsor’s AOR. Can someone confirm?

Also, on MIFI’s website, it states that when we submit our documents and they approve the sponsorship, MIFI coordinates with IRCC. But this is not what I am reading here.. the whole CSQ thing has got me confused.

Any clarifications would be much appreciated, thanks :)
Hi! I apologize if this is very tl;dr. Hopefully all of this information helps clarify things and doesn't further confuse! I know going the DIY route for spousal sponsorship can be a bit confusing and overwhelming, but it's very doable!

So at least for me, I got the AOR 22 days after I submitted my PR application and the average is about 1 month. My spouse and I were VERY thorough with ours. If you don't hear anything soon, it's possible that your application might have been incomplete, and if that's the case then they will return it to you which will cause a bit of a delay for you -- but hopefully that's not the case and the AOR will come very soon!

Step 1: Get the AOR. The AOR is an email message that will be sent to the Sponsor's email (yours). It will be addressed to you, as the Sponsor. Once you have the AOR (Acknowledgement of Receipt) email, your husband (PA) can then apply for the OWP (Open Work Permit).

The OWP and the SOWP are two different things. SOWP (Spousal Open Work Permit) is for spouses of persons who are in Canada for other reasons (most often this is usually for when the person is in Canada on a work visa and brought their spouse with them, or for a person who is in Canada on a study permit and brought their spouse with them). The OWP is better than the SOWP because the SOWP is an accompanying permit that is reliant on the validity of the spouse's work or study permit, whereas the OWP is a permit that's really only granted to refugees and spousal PR applicants because it gives you the ability to work almost anywhere.

OWP is optional, but I recommend that your husband gets the OWP since you are doing spousal sponsorship in QC. The OWP will give your husband valid status as a Worker for 2 years from the date the OWP is approved (and since it takes about 24 months -- aka 2 years -- to get PR in QC, this will give your husband valid status as a Worker for most -- if not all -- of the waiting time while the PR application is processing). And usually it takes about 1-3 months for an OWP application to be approved.

Step 2: Apply for OWP. This is a great resource for navigating the OWP application:

Keep the AOR email handy and safe because your husband will need to provide a digital copy of it to IRCC for the OWP, but it will not be sent to MIFI immediately after you get the AOR. You will have to wait.

While you are working on completing things for the OWP, IRCC will continue reviewing the PR Application. The first thing IRCC checks out is the Eligibility of the PA. Once IRCC realizes that you are applying for PR in QC, they will pause your application during this review because IRCC can not process applications to QC that are not yet authorized by QC. To get that authorization, you will need a CSQ (for PA) and approval from QC to serve as a Sponsor (for sponsor).

Usually, if there are no obvious issues with your Eligibility, IRCC will send you the Invitation to Submit an Undertaking/Invitation to Apply for CSQ. It will be addressed to the Sponsor and sent to the Sponsor's email. This letter will look very similar to the AOR except it will be a pdf document attachment instead of in the body of the email itself. You can not apply for Undertaking/CSQ with MIFI until you get this letter because a photocopy or print-out of it has to be included with your Undertaking/CSQ application paperwork.

Step 3: Apply for CSQ + Undertaking. Once you receive the Invitation letter, you can then send your Undertaking Application (Sponsor) and CSQ Application (PA) to MIFI.

The Invitation letter will specify that you have 30 days to send IRCC evidence that you have applied with MIFI -- what IRCC wants you to send them is the Confirmation of Receipt letter (which is also sometimes referred to as a different AOR) from MIFI. However, MIFI is a bit... slow, and most people don't receive their Confirmation letter within the 30-day timeframe. Instead of giving IRCC the Confirmation letter, you can use the Web Form to send IRCC a digital scan of your mailing receipt from the post office to prove that you have submitted your Undertaking and CSQ application to MIFI so that your PR application is not delayed.

There is no online way to submit the Undertaking/CSQ application and, as such, there isn't a good way to track the application after it is sent via postal mail to MIFI.

Once you receive the Confirmation letter from MIFI indicating that they have accepted your application for review, I recommend sending the Confirmation letter to IRCC via Web Form at that point even if it is after the initial 30 days. It just keeps IRCC up-to-date on what's happening with your application and MIFI will not send this letter to IRCC, so it's good for you to be proactive with it.

It usually takes 1-3 months for an application to MIFI to be approved and for the CSQ + Undertaking Approval to be received in your postal mailbox. I applied around the same time as 3 other people and we all had to send ours twice for various reasons. So do not be alarmed if you end up getting your application returned as Incomplete the first time (mine was returned because my credit card declined, so I 100% recommend adding a Postal Mail Order with your application for the payment -- it was SO much easier for me). This application is also French-only (I think they are working on an English version of the forms, but it wasn't available yet when I applied).

Step 4: Send the CSQ and Undertaking/Sponsor Approval Letter to IRCC via the Web Form. Since I've mentioned it a few times, here is the link to the Web Form you'll want to use throughout this process: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/ClientContact/en/Application/Form/72

When your CSQ + Undertaking Application is approved, you will receive an envelope in your postal mailbox that will include 1 stamped copy of your approved application, 1 letter of Sponsor Undertaking Approval, 1 Letter of PA Eligibility Approval, and 2 copies of the CSQ.

Now, MIFI is supposed to be responsible for sending these approvals to IRCC, and they will eventually send them (assuming they don't lose track of the paperwork, which does happen sometimes). But since IRCC can not move forward with the PR application until these documents are given to them, it helps move your application along a little bit quicker (not a lot quicker, but a little bit) if you don't wait on MIFI to send the approvals over to IRCC and to, instead, scan the CSQ and the Undertaking Approval (front and back) and send them to IRCC yourself with the Web Form.

Aaaand with that, if you have any other questions, please let me know! I am happy to help or share any info I can from my own experience :)

qcacz

Aug 16, 2024
Hi! I apologize if this is very tl;dr. Hopefully all of this information helps clarify things and doesn't further confuse! I know going the DIY route for spousal sponsorship can be a bit confusing and overwhelming, but it's very doable!

So at least for me, I got the AOR 22 days after I submitted my PR application and the average is about 1 month. My spouse and I were VERY thorough with ours. If you don't hear anything soon, it's possible that your application might have been incomplete, and if that's the case then they will return it to you which will cause a bit of a delay for you -- but hopefully that's not the case and the AOR will come very soon!

Step 1: Get the AOR. The AOR is an email message that will be sent to the Sponsor's email (yours). It will be addressed to you, as the Sponsor. Once you have the AOR (Acknowledgement of Receipt) email, your husband (PA) can then apply for the OWP (Open Work Permit).

The OWP and the SOWP are two different things. SOWP (Spousal Open Work Permit) is for spouses of persons who are in Canada for other reasons (most often this is usually for when the person is in Canada on a work visa and brought their spouse with them, or for a person who is in Canada on a study permit and brought their spouse with them). The OWP is better than the SOWP because the SOWP is an accompanying permit that is reliant on the validity of the spouse's work or study permit, whereas the OWP is a permit that's really only granted to refugees and spousal PR applicants because it gives you the ability to work almost anywhere.

OWP is optional, but I recommend that your husband gets the OWP since you are doing spousal sponsorship in QC. The OWP will give your husband valid status as a Worker for 2 years from the date the OWP is approved (and since it takes about 24 months -- aka 2 years -- to get PR in QC, this will give your husband valid status as a Worker for most -- if not all -- of the waiting time while the PR application is processing). And usually it takes about 1-3 months for an OWP application to be approved.

Step 2: Apply for OWP. This is a great resource for navigating the OWP application:

Keep the AOR email handy and safe because your husband will need to provide a digital copy of it to IRCC for the OWP, but it will not be sent to MIFI immediately after you get the AOR. You will have to wait.

While you are working on completing things for the OWP, IRCC will continue reviewing the PR Application. The first thing IRCC checks out is the Eligibility of the PA. Once IRCC realizes that you are applying for PR in QC, they will pause your application during this review because IRCC can not process applications to QC that are not yet authorized by QC. To get that authorization, you will need a CSQ (for PA) and approval from QC to serve as a Sponsor (for sponsor).

Usually, if there are no obvious issues with your Eligibility, IRCC will send you the Invitation to Submit an Undertaking/Invitation to Apply for CSQ. It will be addressed to the Sponsor and sent to the Sponsor's email. This letter will look very similar to the AOR except it will be a pdf document attachment instead of in the body of the email itself. You can not apply for Undertaking/CSQ with MIFI until you get this letter because a photocopy or print-out of it has to be included with your Undertaking/CSQ application paperwork.

Step 3: Apply for CSQ + Undertaking. Once you receive the Invitation letter, you can then send your Undertaking Application (Sponsor) and CSQ Application (PA) to MIFI.

The Invitation letter will specify that you have 30 days to send IRCC evidence that you have applied with MIFI -- what IRCC wants you to send them is the Confirmation of Receipt letter (which is also sometimes referred to as a different AOR) from MIFI. However, MIFI is a bit... slow, and most people don't receive their Confirmation letter within the 30-day timeframe. Instead of giving IRCC the Confirmation letter, you can use the Web Form to send IRCC a digital scan of your mailing receipt from the post office to prove that you have submitted your Undertaking and CSQ application to MIFI so that your PR application is not delayed.

There is no online way to submit the Undertaking/CSQ application and, as such, there isn't a good way to track the application after it is sent via postal mail to MIFI.

Once you receive the Confirmation letter from MIFI indicating that they have accepted your application for review, I recommend sending the Confirmation letter to IRCC via Web Form at that point even if it is after the initial 30 days. It just keeps IRCC up-to-date on what's happening with your application and MIFI will not send this letter to IRCC, so it's good for you to be proactive with it.

It usually takes 1-3 months for an application to MIFI to be approved and for the CSQ + Undertaking Approval to be received in your postal mailbox. I applied around the same time as 3 other people and we all had to send ours twice for various reasons. So do not be alarmed if you end up getting your application returned as Incomplete the first time (mine was returned because my credit card declined, so I 100% recommend adding a Postal Mail Order with your application for the payment -- it was SO much easier for me). This application is also French-only (I think they are working on an English version of the forms, but it wasn't available yet when I applied).

Step 4: Send the CSQ and Undertaking/Sponsor Approval Letter to IRCC via the Web Form. Since I've mentioned it a few times, here is the link to the Web Form you'll want to use throughout this process: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/ClientContact/en/Application/Form/72

When your CSQ + Undertaking Application is approved, you will receive an envelope in your postal mailbox that will include 1 stamped copy of your approved application, 1 letter of Sponsor Undertaking Approval, 1 Letter of PA Eligibility Approval, and 2 copies of the CSQ.

Now, MIFI is supposed to be responsible for sending these approvals to IRCC, and they will eventually send them (assuming they don't lose track of the paperwork, which does happen sometimes). But since IRCC can not move forward with the PR application until these documents are given to them, it helps move your application along a little bit quicker (not a lot quicker, but a little bit) if you don't wait on MIFI to send the approvals over to IRCC and to, instead, scan the CSQ and the Undertaking Approval (front and back) and send them to IRCC yourself with the Web Form.

Aaaand with that, if you have any other questions, please let me know! I am happy to help or share any info I can from my own experience :)

Wow! Thank you for this very detailed explanation, it is exactly what I needed. We were very thorough with our application as well, reviewed it many times before hitting Send, so hopefully we’re all good Do you know if it’s worth sending the scan of the mailing receipt via Web form to IRCC as soon as we submit the Undertaking forms or we should wait the 30-day period?

SkyEarth

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
Wow! Thank you for this very detailed explanation, it is exactly what I needed. We were very thorough with our application as well, reviewed it many times before hitting Send, so hopefully we’re all good Do you know if it’s worth sending the scan of the mailing receipt via Web form to IRCC as soon as we submit the Undertaking forms or we should wait the 30-day period?
I'm so glad it helped! :D

I recommend sending it sooner rather than later because anything sent via Web Form usually takes between a couple days to 2 weeks for IRCC to get the submission and add it to your file.

My timeline was happening around the Christmas holiday and New Year's, so it delayed my availability to get over to a post office. But this is what it looked like for me:

Day 1: Invitation to Apply received [30 Days begins] (Dec 18, 2023)
Day 5: Application Mailed (Dec 22, 2023)
Day 10: Application Delivered to MIFI (Dec 27, 2023)
Day 16: Evidence [Canada Post Receipt] submitted via Web Form (Jan 2, 2024)
Day 24: Evidence Received by IRCC (Jan 10, 2024)
Day 30: MIFI attempted to process payment (Jan 16, 2024)

Now, for my application -- as you can see -- they didn't even open the application to charge my credit card until Day 30. And when my bank informed me about the card getting declined, I went to the post office a couple days later to try and get ahead of any potential delays that might result from it. I did not re-send Evidence to IRCC when I submitted my 2nd CSQ application because I knew it usually takes 1-3 months for MIFI to review applications, but I sent them the Confirmation Letter via Web Form as soon as I received it.

If we condense the timeline to include my second application and continue from when Payment was accepted on my 2nd application, then the continuation would look like this:

Day 30: Payment accepted by MIFI (Feb 7, 2024)
Day 36: Confirmation Letter Received + submitted to IRCC via Web Form (Feb 13, 2024)
Day 42: Confirmation Letter Received by IRCC (Feb 19, 2024)
Day 70: Application Approved (March 18, 2024)
Day 74: CSQ & Undertaking Sponsor Approval Received via postal mail + submitted to IRCC via Web Form (March 22, 2024)
Day 77: CSQ & Undertaking Sponsor Approval received by IRCC (March 25, 2024)

Overall, from the day the application was mailed to the day that the CSQ + Undertaking Approval showed up in my mailbox, application #1 would have taken about 70 days to fully process and application #2 took about 63 days.

The biggest word of caution I have on this is that IRCC and MIFI are in a hot debate right now regarding who has final say on accepting immigrants into the province of QC. And the point of contention is largely regarding the immigration caps and the CSQ. So this could potentially impact your processing times for your CSQ -- hopefully it won't, but it's good to be prepared, just in case!

Here's a couple of articles on the topic from this year:

March 2024: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/family-reunification-federal-minister-quebec-1.7132823

July 2024: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/spousal-sponsorship-processing-time-quebec-1.7251526

qcacz

Aug 16, 2024
I'm so glad it helped! :D

I recommend sending it sooner rather than later because anything sent via Web Form usually takes between a couple days to 2 weeks for IRCC to get the submission and add it to your file.

My timeline was happening around the Christmas holiday and New Year's, so it delayed my availability to get over to a post office. But this is what it looked like for me:

Day 1: Invitation to Apply received [30 Days begins] (Dec 18, 2023)
Day 5: Application Mailed (Dec 22, 2023)
Day 10: Application Delivered to MIFI (Dec 27, 2023)
Day 16: Evidence [Canada Post Receipt] submitted via Web Form (Jan 2, 2024)
Day 24: Evidence Received by IRCC (Jan 10, 2024)
Day 30: MIFI attempted to process payment (Jan 16, 2024)

Now, for my application -- as you can see -- they didn't even open the application to charge my credit card until Day 30. And when my bank informed me about the card getting declined, I went to the post office a couple days later to try and get ahead of any potential delays that might result from it. I did not re-send Evidence to IRCC when I submitted my 2nd CSQ application because I knew it usually takes 1-3 months for MIFI to review applications, but I sent them the Confirmation Letter via Web Form as soon as I received it.

If we condense the timeline to include my second application and continue from when Payment was accepted on my 2nd application, then the continuation would look like this:

Day 30: Payment accepted by MIFI (Feb 7, 2024)
Day 36: Confirmation Letter Received + submitted to IRCC via Web Form (Feb 13, 2024)
Day 42: Confirmation Letter Received by IRCC (Feb 19, 2024)
Day 70: Application Approved (March 18, 2024)
Day 74: CSQ & Undertaking Sponsor Approval Received via postal mail + submitted to IRCC via Web Form (March 22, 2024)
Day 77: CSQ & Undertaking Sponsor Approval received by IRCC (March 25, 2024)

Overall, from the day the application was mailed to the day that the CSQ + Undertaking Approval showed up in my mailbox, application #1 would have taken about 70 days to fully process and application #2 took about 63 days.

The biggest word of caution I have on this is that IRCC and MIFI are in a hot debate right now regarding who has final say on accepting immigrants into the province of QC. And the point of contention is largely regarding the immigration caps and the CSQ. So this could potentially impact your processing times for your CSQ -- hopefully it won't, but it's good to be prepared, just in case!

Here's a couple of articles on the topic from this year:

March 2024: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/family-reunification-federal-minister-quebec-1.7132823

July 2024: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/spousal-sponsorship-processing-time-quebec-1.7251526
Thank you so so much!! Yes, we are aware of this new cap for the next 2 years, hopefully we will get in before the cap is reached I am starting to worry that we didn’t get the AOR yet. I will call this week if we don’t get anything.

tanuj1323

Jan 17, 2024
Hello members. I recently received CSQ for my wife in August. I wanted to see how much time does it take by federal government to process the sponsorship after they receive CSQ? Any insights will be helpful

damientian

Dec 19, 2023
Hello members. I recently received CSQ for my wife in August. I wanted to see how much time does it take by federal government to process the sponsorship after they receive CSQ? Any insights will be helpful
Hello, Congratulations ! I see currently some inland applicants submitted near Jan-march 2023 are in the final step. Hope it will be faster !

SkyEarth

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
You have a long road of silence and waiting ahead, my friend.

For me, I applied for Inland Spousal Sponsorship on Nov 9, 2023 and received my CSQ on March 22, 2024. I am still waiting for my Background Check to process, but Eligibility, Biometrics, and Medical are all Complete.

The most recent timeline that I am aware of was from an applicant who applied for PR on Jan 31, 2023, got their CSQ on March 29, 2023, and received their Final Decision on Aug 23, 2024.

SkyEarth

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
You have a long road of silence and waiting ahead, my friend.

For me, I applied for Inland Spousal Sponsorship on Nov 9, 2023 and received my CSQ on March 22, 2024. I am still waiting for my Background Check to process, but Eligibility, Biometrics, and Medical are all Complete.

The most recent timeline that I am aware of was from an applicant who applied for PR on Jan 31, 2023, got their CSQ on March 29, 2023, and received their Final Decision on Aug 23, 2024.
I noticed today that the person with the timeline I mentioned also just got their COPR on September 17, 2024! Lucky duck lol We'll get there one day everyone ;)

Reactions: tanuj1323