+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR got cancelled. How do I contact IRCC human agent?

Apr 14, 2021
Hi,

I am sponsoring my wife get PR, and she recently got COPR last week for the Inland application.

The COPR letter stated that if she is outside of Canada, we should send another email to contact them.
She actually left Canada half a year ago since she was pregnant, etc.
We have had notified IRCC numerous time through WebForm if it was ok to keep on the Inland application with this new situation. They NEVER replied.

Anyhow, back to the COPR letter. We sent them the email last week that she is not in Canada right now. And today I got a voice mail saying the COPR is cancelled, and she need to enter Canada to restart the process again??????????????

I'm trying to contact IRCC right now to 1-888-242-2100 , but it's impossible to make any contact with real human agent. It just goes through all these stupid automated messaging reply. And I definitely don't want to use WebForm again because it never spits out receipts and they do not ever work on resolving any complex situation.

Long story short, my main question are

a) how do I contact IRCC HUMAN agent through phone call?

b) I googled a bit. It seems like my wife is eligible to enter Canada as long as we have the proof document of immediate family? Is that true? She already has eta , and my new born son already has Canadian Passport.

c) Has this kind of situation ever happened to anyone?

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
b) I googled a bit. It seems like my wife is eligible to enter Canada as long as we have the proof document of immediate family? Is that true? She already has eta (South Korean passport), and my new born son already has Canadian Passport.
This part is true. There are other requirements to travel as well, of course - check carefully.

Reactions: DowntownZealot

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hi,

I am sponsoring my wife get PR, and she recently got COPR last week for the Inland application.

The COPR letter stated that if she is outside of Canada, we should send another email to contact them.
We have had notified IRCC numerous time through WebForm if it was ok to keep on the Inland application with this new situation. They NEVER replied.

Anyhow, back to the COPR letter. We sent them the email last week that she is not in Canada right now. And today I got a voice mail saying the COPR is cancelled, and she need to enter Canada to restart the process again??????????????

I'm trying to contact IRCC right now to 1-888-242-2100 , but it's impossible to make any contact with real human agent. It just goes through all these stupid automated messaging reply. And I definitely don't want to use WebForm again because it never spits out receipts and they do not ever work on resolving any complex situation.

b) I googled a bit. It seems like my wife is eligible to enter Canada as long as we have the proof document of immediate family? Is that true? She already has eta (South Korean passport), and my new born son already has Canadian Passport.

c) Has this kind of situation ever happened to anyone? I feel like I should've never replied the email saying she's currently outside. I feel like they would have never knew because they don't really check properly. They simply rely on my email reply to check the status in Canada? lmao. This is screwed up.
It doesn't matter if "they would never know" your wife was outside Canada. It was expected that your wife remain in Canada for the duration of the inland sponsorship and they may tolerant short "2-3 weeks" absence outside Canada. But in your case, the wife was outside Canada for more than 6 months a lot longer than 2-3 weeks. Technically when someone stayed outside Canada for longer than 6 months, that person is no longer residing in Canada, However you believe, right or wrong, IRCC rightly cancelled her COPR because she didn't follow the requirements of the inland sponsorship, which is to remain and reside inside Canada until landing.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't know what this means in terms of your application - but I believe you and they had no choice but to cancel the COPR. With the inland COPR (under current procedures) I believe she became a PR - and she would not be able to travel to Canada on her ETA. And no chance for a PRTD, since the COPR/PR grant was mistakenly issued on basis she was in Canada as an inland applicant.

(And honestly I'm not sure if her previous ETA will remain valid - it's possible it was cancelled - would recommend checking somehow before showing up at airport to board a flight. But this is only a guess)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

No need to contact IRCC since you know why the COPR was cancelled. She was not in Canada while filing for inland sponsorship. The onus is on you to follow the rules of inland sponsorship. Your wife qualifies to travel to Canada as the spouse of a PR or citizen if she has an ETA or TRV. If she plans on leaving again you should apply outland even if she is in Canada.

Reactions: mashulia_26

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

What exactly (word for word) did it say about returning to Canada to restart the process? It's difficult to know based on what you've said if this is just a reference to the COPR issuance step or the entire process.

Reactions: armoured
Apr 14, 2021
What exactly (word for word) did it say about returning to Canada to restart the process? It's difficult to know based on what you've said if this is just a reference to the COPR issuance step or the entire process.

That's what I'm trying to confirm. Not sure if the entire application process has to be restarted or only the COPR part is reversed.

If it's just COPR cancellation, it's fine. She could come to Canada anytime and finalize it.
However, cancelling the entire application is too much. We had been notifying them lot of times that she is not in Canada and asked if it was ok to continue the application. And we had not been getting any feedback regarding it until just now. That's why we are very confused.

I'm taking entire day off tomorrow to keep calling them. Hopefully I can get through to speak with an agent.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's what I'm trying to confirm. Not sure if the entire application process has to be restarted or only the COPR part is reversed.

If it's just COPR cancellation, it's fine. She could come to Canada anytime and finalize it.
However, cancelling the entire application is too much. We had been notifying them lot of times that she is not in Canada and asked if it was ok to continue the application. And we had not been getting any feedback regarding it until just now. That's why we are very confused.

I'm taking entire day off tomorrow to keep calling them. Hopefully I can get through to speak with an agent.
There would be no reason to cancel COPR yet allow the application to continue. It is always the responsibility of the applicant to follow the rules. You should have consulted with a lawyer or consultant about leaving the country who would have advised you to refile as outland if your wife wanted to leave. One of the requirements for inland processing is for your spouse to remain in Canada. It looks like in filing for your child’s citizenship documents IRCC may have realized that your wife has not been living in Canada.

Apr 14, 2021
There would be no reason to cancel COPR yet allow the application to continue. It is always the responsibility of the applicant to follow the rules. You should have consulted with a lawyer or consultant about leaving the country who would have advised you to refile as outland if your wife wanted to leave. One of the requirements for inland processing is for your spouse to remain in Canada. It looks like in filing for your child’s citizenship documents IRCC may have realized that your wife has not been living in Canada.
I understand the rule now. What I don't understand is why the very late feedback, ignoring all the previous questions I sent to them. It's hard to prove I sent those questions since WebForm doesn't provide receipt right away.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand the rule now. What I don't understand is why the very late feedback, ignoring all the previous questions I sent to them. It's hard to prove I sent those questions since WebForm doesn't provide receipt right away.
It is not up to IRCC to give you directions about whether you can leave the country or not. It is your responsibility to follow the rules of inland processing or to consult a lawyer or consultant if you have questions. It is pretty clearly Stated that you must be living in Canada to apply for inland processing.

malimu

Star Member
Mar 18, 2019
Ottawa
I understand the rule now. What I don't understand is why the very late feedback, ignoring all the previous questions I sent to them. It's hard to prove I sent those questions since Web Form doesn't provide receipt right away.

Considering huge back log created by the Covid IRCC looks is not obliged to respond to every query but to process as the minister said inland pending applications . Since looks like you have deviated from the basic principal of inland sponsorship i guess as per the above you may not have much recourse. Sympathies will not help. You need to sort out why you did what you did. call centers are just information folks not the agents. Good luck. Lately for even a simple errors the whole pkges are sent back..

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
They simply rely on my email reply to check the status in Canada? lmao. This is screwed up.

Ircc heavily relies on the self-reporting system. Im guessing because ircc doesnt have the manpower to track every applicant's movement 365 days/year againt cbsa records. Im guessing they do random checks in addition to the standard checks at certain point(s) during an application in process.
Basically if you break the rules, you report it yourself so that they can take action against you.
The system works because people think if they are honest, the system will reward them and be lenient...which may not be the case.

frange

May 25, 2018
They simply rely on my email reply to check the status in Canada? lmao. This is screwed up.

Ircc heavily relies on the self-reporting system. Im guessing because ircc doesnt have the manpower to track every applicant's movement 365 days/year againt cbsa records. Im guessing they do random checks in addition to the standard checks at certain point(s) during an application in process.
Basically if you break the rules, you report it yourself so that they can take action against you.
The system works because people think if they are honest, the system will reward them and be lenient...which may not be the case.
You are right... I always see people doing that on this forum.
Unfortunately "People don't get reward for your honesty; but punish for breaking the rules". Let's IRCC do its job and self report unless it is necessary or can jeopardize your application.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phalos