+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR and coronavirus

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
Hi,
Above, everyone is talking about COPR but i have been directed to add my question here: I am a Pakistani from Islamabad and I was invited to apply for PR in the draw of 4th March 2020. When the pandemic hit us all, IRCC raised the days for submission of documents from 60 to 90 days. I do not know how long this situation is going to last but I checked that medical centres in Pakistan are off till further notice and so are offices and places from where I need to collect affidavits / bank statements etc. Also practising social distancing so I am staying at home. Is there anyone from the same draw who I can be in touch with to know how have you decided to handle the situation and complete all documentation?

I have also heard the medical centres are offering date of medical in 2021. Has anyone experienced this? If so, how are you justifying this when submitting documents?

Thank You
IRCC has tweeted the following multiple times...
"
2/2 No application in progress will be closed or refused due to a lack of documentation or inability to complete the application process in time, such as giving biometrics or completing an immigration medical exam, when travel reopens.
"

Do not worry!!!

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
IRCC has tweeted the following multiple times...
"
2/2 No application in progress will be closed or refused due to a lack of documentation or inability to complete the application process in time, such as giving biometrics or completing an immigration medical exam, when travel reopens.
"

Do not worry!!!

I wish they were this explicit about COPR holders!!!!

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
I called CBSA yesterday, the guy said if you are coming for the first time here as a new immigrant, you won't have a place for quarantine and we wouldn't admit you in unless you prove otherwise. He said, we are recommending folks to delay arrival and ask IRCC for COPR extension.

With the increase in Cases within Canada itself, I think the situation has changed!
In that case ircc must announce some policy regarding copr extension.Why are they keeping us all in stress.When they themselves are discouraging us from entering right now.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
For those that want to travel and land, just make a booking for a place for 2 weeks as proof that you have a place to self isolate.

I will say, I don't think it's worth the risk for most of you. This virus is out of control and young people are getting infected and dying. It's not just the elderly at risk.

Just send your web form early stating you can't travel, or do not wish to travel because of the risks and let them confirm they will consider an extension for you.

Reactions: Sweta_mahi

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
In that case ircc must announce some policy regarding copr extension.Why are they keeping us all in stress.When they themselves are discouraging us from entering right now.
True that!
Blanket extension e.g."150 days from COPR expiry date or 30 August - whichever comes first".
Job done!
This would be:
- easiest to implement,
- faster to decide
- save tax payers money
-Easy to comprehend by both us applicants and Visa Officers (VO) alike
- Simple to analyse and use in the systems/ software/ instruction manuals etc

And above all would drastically help reducing the super high VO workload caused due to:
a) delayed applications in queue
b) revised medical instructions and processing of those medical results
c) additional PPRs processing by numerous local VOs.
d) additional health risk for applicants by visiting clinics/hospitals ,who might already be dealing with COVID waves and long wait period for such low priority item as visa medical tests.

Of course, it might likely increase the risk of new undetected medical issues after a 12 month period of original medicals. A fact. But then: who is to say 12 months are enough...why not 10 or 6 months?

Thus balancing the huge efforts and workload for Visa Offices vs the minor risk potential I would humbly suggest quick decision and announcement with a blanket extension will help IRCC clients.

(LOL as if IRCC has the time to read forums - hey one can dream! :cool:).

Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

wick_sran

Mar 5, 2012
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-06-2019
IELTS Request
01-02-2019
True that!
Blanket extension e.g."150 days from COPR expiry date or 30 August - whichever comes first".
Job done!
This would be:
- easiest to implement,
- faster to decide
- save tax payers money

And above all would drastically help reducing the super high VO workload caused due to:
d) additional health risk for applicants by visiting clinics/hospitals ,who might already be dealing with COVID waves and long wait period for such low priority item as visa medical tests.

Of course, it might likely increase the risk of new undetected medical issues after a 12 month period of original medicals. A fact. But then: who is to say 12 months are enough...why not 10 or 6 months?

Thus balancing the huge efforts and workload for Visa Offices vs the minor risk potential I would humbly suggest quick decision and announcement with a blanket extension will help IRCC clients.

Maybe we should try to explain these points to CIC on Facebook, Twitter etc.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
True that!
Job done!
This would be:
- easiest to implement,
- faster to decide
- save tax payers money

The chances that a healthy person in their prime will develop a serious medical issue in the 12 months after their medical exam is very low. It's a waste of everyone's time to make them do another medical. The only thing that is worthwhile is screening them for covid-19. Even the criminality and security checks are superfluous, but at least they can be done quickly in most cases, and most people's checks will still be valid anyway.

I'm hoping they will realize this, and just extend everyone's COPR.

Dia89

Mar 16, 2020
Airindia has said they are waiting for PMs announcement; if they dont extend AirIndia will let people book flights the same day. Moreover, they have not yet cancelled any flights already booked till 30th. So it all depends on the decision by PM.
I wish IRCC was helping us the way they are helping new PR applicants, citizenship applicants and Canadians stuck in other countries. I mean we have already been through the waiting time, spent money, left jobs. I wish IRCC starts thinking about us now.

ankurgupta325

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
OINP
I am so glad I found this forum. Was frantically searching for one since all hell broke loose! Got so much of clarification and relief after reading so much of useful information and links. Thank you so much to all. I know we all are more or less in the same boat, some more due to their visas expiring like really soon.
I have one query left though. Most of them got solved after reading the responses on this page. So I received my COPR on 7th march 2020. My visa is expiring on 6th June 2020, as that is when my medicals are expiring. Anyway my country (India) is on lockdown and no outbound flights are flying anyway, so obviously we might get an extension, as per responses on this forum. My query is, incase post 14th April (last day of lockdown as of now in India), the travel ban on international flights if lifted from India, and Canada has anyway made an exception for applicants who received COPR before 18th March 2020 can travel. So in such case, if I still apply for an extension say in Mid May, will i still get it? Main concern is, 14 day isolation which they have stated as mandatory, we will have to do it all by ourselves on our expenses. have no family in Alberta (like most of us). And my relatives wont be able to travel from Ontario to help me out as well, for obvious reasons. Hence how wise it is to travel amidst all this? if travel is allowed from both countries? or will they not give extension and ask us to travel if no travel bans are imposed anymore?
Just wanted some advice? Anyone attempting to do so or have done so, please do share your experience, Also recession is going to get kicked in, and it would be much difficult to find a job. What is the point in travelling amidst all this chaos and not able to make a living for ourselves and instead spending more money on isolation and daily expenses, without finding a job. Retracted my resignation also here in india, as dont want to be unemployed if this gets extended. So again have to serve notice if have to travel urgently as per rules over time. All of this is such a mess. Also if anyone has any idea of the blanket that will be there if any extension is granted. Just wanted a rough idea. My rant is over. Thank you so much in advance. Would appreciate any advice on the query.
It's very clearly mentioned by IRCC that to put in an extension request you must show that you were "unable to travel". Nowhere does it say that "you choose not to travel because of risks".

So if there is no travel ban by Canada and India and your CoPR is valid for a good amount of time from the day restrictions were lifted then you must travel. It's highly unlikely you will get an extension in this case. ( Check first page of this thread where similar extension request for someone was rejected ).

There's this one scenario when travel restrictions get lifted ,let's say, a week before your CoPR expires but you don't get a flight in that window then you can ask for extension but it will be tricky to prove your inability to travel. So it will be upto IRCC almighty to give extension or not. So, again it will be wise to just try your best to travel if you can.

Molino de Viente

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018
Kazakhstan
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26/04/2019
Med's Done....
06/06/2019
Passport Req..
31/10/2019
I called CBSA yesterday, the guy said if you are coming for the first time here as a new immigrant, you won't have a place for quarantine and we wouldn't admit you in unless you prove otherwise. He said, we are recommending folks to delay arrival and ask IRCC for COPR extension.

With the increase in Cases within Canada itself, I think the situation has changed!
Oh, that is bad news for me because I already booked my return flights right the next day after arrival. So if I show my return ticket for next day I may be refused PR???

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
For those that want to travel and land, just make a booking for a place for 2 weeks as proof that you have a place to self isolate.

I will say, I don't think it's worth the risk for most of you. This virus is out of control and young people are getting infected and dying. It's not just the elderly at risk.

Just send your web form early stating you can't travel, or do not wish to travel because of the risks and let them confirm they will consider an extension for you.
do you think they accept hotel reservation for 14 days?

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
It's very clearly mentioned by IRCC that to put in an extension request you must show that you were "unable to travel". Nowhere does it say that "you choose not to travel because of risks".

So if there is no travel ban by Canada and India and your CoPR is valid for a good amount of time from the day restrictions were lifted then you must travel. It's highly unlikely you will get an extension in this case. ( Check first page of this thread where similar extension request for someone was rejected ).

There's this one scenario when travel restrictions get lifted ,let's say, a week before your CoPR expires but you don't get a flight in that window then you can ask for extension but it will be tricky to prove your inability to travel. So it will be upto IRCC almighty to give extension or not. So, again it will be wise to just try your best to travel if you can.
I think this is what they want to assess.Whether the applicants request is valid or not.Some CAN NOT travel.Some DO NOT WANT to travel There is a big diff though reason is same.So its high time now they must declare overall policy about extension whether it will be provided to 1st cat or 2nd or both.Blanket announcement would reduce their headache.Atleast they can give open extension to coprs expired during lockdown period in Canada and India.That's crystal clear that those ppl can not travel .Guys lets put the requests on twitter See pr and citizens have put lot of req on Twitter and they are getting response.We should also start raising our voice.