+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law sponsorship

thomas23

Star Member
Mar 12, 2023
Hey everyone,

I’m pretty new to common-law sponsorship and I’m not very familiar with the process. My first question is, I moved in with my partner in May but the lease was in her name and I did not have my name on the lease. I did change my bank address and my phone bill to her address. Now in August we have moved in to a new place where my name is also on the lease.

I’m also planning to change my license to the new address too. Do I apply for common law sponsorship from May or is it not gonna be easy to prove till August where we have the official lease?

I also would like if anyone could share their experience with the application process. How tough was it?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey everyone,

I’m pretty new to common-law sponsorship and I’m not very familiar with the process. My first question is, I moved in with my partner in May but the lease was in her name and I did not have my name on the lease. I did change my bank address and my phone bill to her address. Now in August we have moved in to a new place where my name is also on the lease.

I’m also planning to change my license to the new address too. Do I apply for common law sponsorship from May or is it not gonna be easy to prove till August where we have the official lease?

I also would like if anyone could share their experience with the application process. How tough was it?
Have you accrued at least 365 days cohabiting together? If you moved in with your partner in May (for the first time) you are not eligible to apply until the anniversary date (next year) of when your living together began. A couple is deemed to be Common-law on the 366th day of living together.

The application is not difficult, just very time consuming. You will find this to be your new favorite website as there are many helpful members.

Good luck!

thomas23

Star Member
Mar 12, 2023
Have you accrued at least 365 days cohabiting together? If you moved in with your partner in May (for the first time) you are not eligible to apply until the anniversary date (next year) of when your living together began. A couple is deemed to be Common-law on the 366th day of living together.

The application is not difficult, just very time consuming. You will find this to be your new favorite website as there are many helpful members.

Good luck!
Thanks for your response! Yes I meant to ask should I wait for May next year when we actually started living together although I don’t have a lease to show for it? Or should I wait till August next year where I have a lease to show for it

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your response! Yes I meant to ask should I wait for May next year when we actually started living together although I don’t have a lease to show for it? Or should I wait till August next year where I have a lease to show for it
It's going to depend on the strength of your other evidence. You'll have to use your own judgment, others can only guess.