+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law sponsorship

S.Clancy

Apr 30, 2012
Hi,
My Canadian boyfriend and I are currently applying for the common law sponsorship. I was just wondering what to write on the form. I'm Irish so I will be applying to the UK because it will be quicker than applying within Canada. While we wait on the application I will go to Canada on a tourist visa. So, should I write on the application form my status before going to Canada or that I intend waiting in Canada while the application is being processed?
I appreciate any help at all.
Thanks so much

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
If you are in Ireland when the forms are sent in, I would just write your Irish address. Mention, however, that you plan to stay with your partner in Canada as a visitor while waiting.
If you are already in Canada as a visitor, then you can write your Irish address as your permanent address, and state somewhere that you are staying with your common-law partner in Canada at his address. In both cases you can use the Canadian address as your mailing address.

However, many people on this forum have just used the Canadian address as their address, even though they were just here on a visitor basis. No one has had any problems doing so. In fact, since you are applying common-law, the fact you are living together is important.

So writing your address where you are living as either the Irish one or the Canadian one are both OK. Make sure it is clear that you will be staying with your partner in Canada while waiting if you use the first option.

S.Clancy

Apr 30, 2012
Hi, I was also wondering if anyone knows if I need a medical check to visit Canada. I'm an Irish citizen but I have lived in Korea for the past two years. Also, I need a medical for the common law sponsorship, is it possible to do that and attach it to the application before being called to do it? Thank you so much everyone.

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
As far as the medical for the common law sponsorship, you should do it before you send the application in and then send it with the application. You should not wait to be called to do it.

missmymexi

Feb 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-17-2012
Doc's Request.
11-26-12 - Common law declaration/PRG/SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa - 09-11-12 / DF 11-26-12
File Transfer...
09-17-12
Med's Done....
02-29-12
As far as I know you will not need the medical to visit, especially if from a visa exempt country, I am sure you are required to have travel medical insurance though. See quote from gov website ( http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/visas/index.aspx?view=d):

The Visa Section of the High Commission of Canada to the United Kingdom is responsible for processing visa applications for citizens and residents of Ireland.

Citizens of Ireland do not require a visa to enter Canada as a visitor. If you are a citizen of another country, check the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website to see if you require a visa to enter Canada.

As for the sponsorship you will need to send in a medical with your intial application. here is the link to the manual that you will need for Ireland and the medical form and instruction:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf

Here is a list of approved doctors in Ireland:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medicalinfo.aspx?CountryID=1896&CountryName=Ireland,%20Republic%20of