+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Sponsorship - Proof of Cohabitation

collagenfibre

Sep 3, 2024
Hi so I’ve been in a common law officially from May 2023 and now its 2024, so my relationship living w my partner started in May 2022. Do I need proof of cohabitation from May 2022? I realized we really don’t have any bc I was living at his family home but had my address at my dorm and only changed in my bank at Sept 2022 and I have amazon invoices from June 2022. I’m thinking of writting an LOE explaining the situation. But it’s been 2 years of cohabitation, would it be that serious, if I could provide text messages, letters from friends that include seeing me come and go from his place at May 2022 and his mom writting a letter? We don’t have a joint bank account and I didnt realised we needed it to be a year to actually count. Pls advise ! I’m the applicant and hes the sponsor! Hes a citizen and I’m under PGWP until 2026. I’m also stressed bc I know this application is going take so long to process.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi so I’ve been in a common law officially from May 2023 and now its 2024, so my relationship living w my partner started in May 2022. Do I need proof of cohabitation from May 2022? I realized we really don’t have any bc I was living at his family home but had my address at my dorm and only changed in my bank at Sept 2022 and I have amazon invoices from June 2022. I’m thinking of writting an LOE explaining the situation. But it’s been 2 years of cohabitation, would it be that serious, if I could provide text messages, letters from friends that include seeing me come and go from his place at May 2022 and his mom writting a letter? We don’t have a joint bank account and I didnt realised we needed it to be a year to actually count. Pls advise ! I’m the applicant and hes the sponsor! Hes a citizen and I’m under PGWP until 2026. I’m also stressed bc I know this application is going take so long to process.
You need proof of cohabiting from day one (or as close as possible) until you accrued one full year. That is what qualifies you as a Common-Law partner.
After that one year, the burden of proof is somewhat diminished, but you do need to show that your relationship is continuing.

Text messages won't really help, but letters (sworn statements) from people that can corroborate your story can certainly help. The LoE is a great idea.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
All of this is pretty weak, although perhaps all together. But by far best: a lease, of a place you live together, with both of you on the lease, and other official correspondence to each of you at that address.