+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law sponsorship - difficult?

marie_lalala

Nov 14, 2018
Hi guys,

I am contemplating how hard it is actually the whole process of inland common-law sponsorship in Quebec?
I am considering a lawyer, but it's 5000$ , which is a lot. Is it something a normal person can do on their own?
My case is not complicated I think. I live with my boyfriend for over a year, we have a lease together, hydro payments, plane tickets to Europe, photos...

Thanks a lot!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

I am contemplating how hard it is actually the whole process of inland common-law sponsorship in Quebec?
I am considering a lawyer, but it's 5000$ , which is a lot. Is it something a normal person can do on their own?
My case is not complicated I think. I live with my boyfriend for over a year, we have a lease together, hydro payments, plane tickets to Europe, photos...

Thanks a lot!
There's no need for a lawyer. Almost everyone here has applied on their own. As long as you're willing to spend time to read and research the process, there's no issue doing it on your own.

marie_lalala

Nov 14, 2018
Thank you! Do you know any trusted sources where to gather all the info? Apart from the official Canada website, of course.
Merci!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you! Do you know any trusted sources where to gather all the info? Apart from the official Canada website, of course.
Merci!
The only trusted source is the IRCC web site. Don't use anything else. Forms are updated regularly, etc. Using anything other than the IRCC web site puts you at risk of doing something wrong.

Go here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Chutsk10

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
It's not too hard to put an application together as the government instructions and guides are pretty straight forward.

A lawyer/consultant isn't required but if you want some piece of mind and save some.... a lot of money you can prepare the application yourself and have a lawyer/consultant review it for a couple hours worth of their time.

bian07

May 19, 2017
if your case is simple then you should have no problem doing it by yourself, just make sure to read everything properly and go over it multiple times

alkchemizer

May 4, 2020
Canada
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot!
Hi marie_lalala,

We applied for PR as a common-law through spousal sponsorship without going through a lawyer (outside of hiring a consulting for a few hundred dollars to review our documents prior to submission). If the case is straight forward (you have been living together throughout the relationship and have sufficient documentation), then you probably don't need to spend the money as long as you are willing to put in the time, unless you want the peace of mind of hiring a professional as others suggest.

The IRCC website is the trusted source and it is important to check often since you will have to use the latest versions of the forms. The checklist is very useful and the IRCC website has improved since we applied and seems very straight forward now.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp
This forum is very good for supplemental information but there is no guarantee that information is accurate or up to date.

We just started making videos on YouTube sharing our experience, with more to come. Feel free to check them out on our channel at 'Alkchemizer by Mikaze and Charlie'.

Ms.kaka

Star Member
Jan 24, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As you said, your case is complicated and if you can afford it, hire a lawyer. In return, you can think that you have a better peace of mind compared to DIY application, spending time of asking different opinions, base on different cases of different people.

Frankly, I was once like you , I felt my case was complicated and during that time, I was applying for federal express entry.Like you, I was looking for a immigrant consultant, his professional fee was 5000 cad, not including the immigration fees.

it took me several weeks to contemplate, when I am about to decided to seek for professional help. I was luckily enough to discover this website. Then i spent a lot of time searching and asking questions .Then I realized, I was more well-informed and knowledgeable compared to my friends who hire a consultant for application.

To make the story short, this website helps me to became a immigrant and move here in Canada last 2012, and I gain friends and eventually meet them in Calgary and become friends for life since then.

I had my citizenship last 2016, this website also helps me a lot,

Here I am again for common law application in land, and yes my case still complicated.