+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Partner Work Permit...

haru22

Sep 30, 2018
Hi there,

We applied for inland PR in October, and received our AOR a few months later. My Common Law Partner just received a two year open work permit in the mail! Does this usually indicate that her PR will be accepted?? She has already received a request to do a medical exam and she passed the exam. However, when I look on Ecas it does not say if I have been accepted as a sponsor, and on her profile it does not say if her PR has been accepted.

The reason we are wondering is because we would like to move in to a new apartment, but I don't want to be on the hook for a long term contract if we need to go back to her country.

Does getting a 2 year open work permit generally mean her bid for PR will be accepted?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

We applied for inland PR in October, and received our AOR a few months later. My Common Law Partner just received a two year open work permit in the mail! Does this usually indicate that her PR will be accepted?? She has already received a request to do a medical exam and she passed the exam. However, when I look on Ecas it does not say if I have been accepted as a sponsor, and on her profile it does not say if her PR has been accepted.

The reason we are wondering is because we would like to move in to a new apartment, but I don't want to be on the hook for a long term contract if we need to go back to her country.

Does getting a 2 year open work permit generally mean her bid for PR will be accepted?
The open work permit does not guarantee the application will be approved. However it does confirm that your application was complete and was accepted by IRCC.

haru22

Sep 30, 2018
The open work permit does not guarantee the application will be approved. However it does confirm that your application was complete and was accepted by IRCC.
I see, so it has no bearing whatsoever? If her application gets rejected, would her work permit be revoked? Or she could work in Canada until its completion? It is hard to plan for the future with so much uncertainty haha

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I see, so it has no bearing whatsoever? If her application gets rejected, would her work permit be revoked? Or she could work in Canada until its completion? It is hard to plan for the future with so much uncertainty haha
Zero bearing.

The OWP remains valid.

Reactions: scylla