+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law declaration? PR Renewal

granthorpe

Jan 28, 2024
Hi
Me and my now spouse got our individual PR before coming here and got married right before flying, but never registered it in either country. Legally i have been filing taxes together under common law and have property together and so on. Now when filing for renewal, i have two questions
- Since i am legally Common law so is declaring common law with a date 1 year from entry legally correct?
- should i do that as a part of a single application or should i create two different accounts for spouse and i?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi
Me and my now spouse got our individual PR before coming here and got married right before flying, but never registered it in either country. Legally i have been filing taxes together under common law and have property together and so on. Now when filing for renewal, i have two questions
- Since i am legally Common law so is declaring common law with a date 1 year from entry legally correct?
- should i do that as a part of a single application or should i create two different accounts for spouse and i?
I think this would all be easier if you read the instructions first:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-renew-replace-permanent-resident-card.html

From doesn't ask details of your relationship i.e. date since you became common law or married or wahtever.

Separate applications.

Where did you get married that 'never registering it' would make it not a marriage? I think you are probably legally married.

granthorpe

Jan 28, 2024
It does ask the relationship details and since when we got our PR we were single so it needs to be mentioned.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It does ask the relationship details and since when we got our PR we were single so it needs to be mentioned.
In the IMM5444 form, it asks you in box 2.12 your marital status - no details required.

You may be looking at box 5.6, which you ONLY need to fill out if you have not been in Canada the requisite number of days AND some of the time you need was because accompanying your citizen-spouse (does not apply to either of you) OR that time was with your PR-spouse who is employed by a Canadian business etc.

Are you certain this applies to you? If not, you leave that box blank, and no details about your relationship need to be submitted. (You can assume they will look at tax returns, but not really an issue).

MYYC

Dec 10, 2021
In the IMM5444 form, it asks you in box 2.12 your marital status - no details required.

You may be looking at box 5.6, which you ONLY need to fill out if you have not been in Canada the requisite number of days AND some of the time you need was because accompanying your citizen-spouse (does not apply to either of you) OR that time was with your PR-spouse who is employed by a Canadian business etc.

Are you certain this applies to you? If not, you leave that box blank, and no details about your relationship need to be submitted. (You can assume they will look at tax returns, but not really an issue).
Hi I am also renewing my PR card online. If the marital status select common law and it will as you the date you entered common law.

My partner just put me under his company health benefit last month. But he does not want to file tax as common law this year. And he asked me to put single for my PR card renewal application if we are not filing tax as common law this year.

But i am worried that it will be lying for my PR card renewal since he already put my name on his health benefit. (The insurance company shows we are in common law since last month).
Do you think i should still put common law as marital status?

Thanks advance!

MYYC

Dec 10, 2021
Yes. I think your partner's approach on the tax side is dumb, but that's a separate problem.
Thanks for the quick response. I think it is better to just apply citizenship. For the work and education activities sectio, i am not sure how the timeline.
For example, from 2021 Jan to 2021 Dec. student 2022 Jan to current is working. Do you think they consider there is a gap in between.

Or i have to put 2021 jan to 2021 Dec student and 2021 DEC to current working ?

Thanks again

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for the quick response. I think it is better to just apply citizenship. For the work and education activities sectio, i am not sure how the timeline.
For example, from 2021 Jan to 2021 Dec. student 2022 Jan to current is working. Do you think they consider there is a gap in between.

Or i have to put 2021 jan to 2021 Dec student and 2021 DEC to current working ?

Thanks again
I do not understand your question .