+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed Work Permit ( Alberta PNP / PR Application )

abhinav218

Nov 17, 2014
Just a quick question guys, I have a closed work permit working for a company since march 2013 till now. My PR application status says ( in process, started application on September 17th, 2014 ). If I get terminated / Fired for some reason, with a closed work permit what happenes to my P.R application ( I am Alberta AINP Nominated )? I have applied for closed work permit through Alberta AINP. Please help ?

joshy008

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
SEPTEMBER 5 2013
Nomination.....
july 10
AOR Received.
OCTOBER 9
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
0CTOBER 9
Med's Done....
OCTOBER 29
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
NOVEMBER 4 2014
VISA ISSUED...
nov 21 2014
LANDED..........
DECEMBER 11 2014
if you are terminated /resigned,most probably AINP will contact you for investigation.They will send some questions by email and you have to answer.same time they will contact cic to hold the processing of your file for temporary until the investigation is over.They can withdraw your nomination.But same time you are on open permit,for example BOWP and you are not satisfied with the employer and you got a new job offer you can move .but only in Alberta. Basically they wants to know you have the sufficient income to support yourself .

abhinav218

Nov 17, 2014
Thanks josh. But I have a closed work permit. What does BOWP stand for ? So I feel that my PR application is in the final stage I beleive as of now? I am in a precarious position ? Any thing you can provide as an helpful advice for me to get out of this situation. Very much appreciated?

joshy008

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
SEPTEMBER 5 2013
Nomination.....
july 10
AOR Received.
OCTOBER 9
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
0CTOBER 9
Med's Done....
OCTOBER 29
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
NOVEMBER 4 2014
VISA ISSUED...
nov 21 2014
LANDED..........
DECEMBER 11 2014
Hi abhinav218

I applied for pr application under AINP employer driven stream.But after that it was really difficult for me to stay with employer.i stayed for 3-4 months then applied for bridging open work permit as my work permit was about to expire .But as i said before AINP contacted me and asked all questions .But i had a strong reason and i had already filed a complaint about my employer in temporary foreign worker help desk .my advise is stay with them if you are in process ,most probably you will get ppr in 2 months.mine was in process in august and i received decision made and passport request 2 weeks before
what is the expiry date of your work permit

joshy008

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
SEPTEMBER 5 2013
Nomination.....
july 10
AOR Received.
OCTOBER 9
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
0CTOBER 9
Med's Done....
OCTOBER 29
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
NOVEMBER 4 2014
VISA ISSUED...
nov 21 2014
LANDED..........
DECEMBER 11 2014
so the best option will be stick with them for 2 months more...options like take a leave ..vac cation...some how manage 2-3 months you will get it soon..

abhinav218

Nov 17, 2014
Thanks a lot! But the PR processing times differs for different applications right! Which field did u apply in ?

liisa227

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
not required
Med's Request
27-08-2014
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Your PR application is based on the employment information which was set in your PNP application. This is also why you have a closed work permit right now. Basically your employment, which AINP deemed worthy enough of nomination, is your "permission" to apply for PR. Without that permission you're not allowed to apply for PR.

If you change jobs, the basis of your permission is invalidated. You're obligated to tell AINP that your employment has changed, and they will investigate your new job and determine whether or not that still qualifies you for a nomination. If you keep on doing the exact same work but just with a different employer, it might be OK with AINP. But it's not safe to assume so (and do NOT even think about not telling AINP - if and when you're caught, you can be denied entry to Canada for misrepresentation). If AINP decides that your new job does not qualify, they will withdraw your nomination and inform CIC that your PR application has become invalid. Then, because your PR application has been invalidated, technically your temporary work permit is invalidated as well, because you received it on the basis of being approved for AINP and PR processing.

So yeah, it's a bit of a harsh game.

When you have less than 4 months left of your current work permit, you can apply for BOWP (Bridging open work permit). You are allowed to use it with another employer, BUT you still need to maintain your AINP employment terms. So if your nomination is based on full-time employment at certain tasks in your current company, you must keep on doing that (and have proof of doing so too, through paystubs, company records etc.).

So basically what BOWP with an employment-driven PNP does is, it allows you to get a second job in addition to your original job, if that's what you want to do (to get more money, or more experience, or whatever). But again, you have to be able to prove that you're still complying with the original AINP terms. And obviously you still have to stay in Alberta for both jobs.

My advice is, if possible, don't change jobs until you get PR. If you're under threat to be fired, you can try to talk to your HR manager and ask for their understanding to keep you until your PR comes. Be super crazy nice and productive to show them you're worthy. If you hate your job, just suck it up and pretend to love it for a little while longer. Otherwise your entire process may have been for nothing. Once your PR goes through you can do whatever you want, and it'll be worth it.

Also, don't follow other people's timelines too closely. CIC is under lots of changes right now (mainly because of Express Entry) and they're not operating in the same pace and schedule that they were last year or earlier this year. And there's an enormous amount of fluctuation between individual applications as well.

That said, if you've been in process since September (I assume you applied sometime early this year), like joshy said you shouldn't be too far off. Just don't make any plans where you're suddenly left without valid status or disqualified from AINP.