+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Close work Permit | Requesting 50 Points from Current employer

bosco2814

Jan 5, 2020
Answer remains the same.
I want to make sure I'm correct.

For example, one already has one-year working experience in Canada, and he is working with the employer under closed-work permit based on positive LMIA, which LMIA still valid after e-apr.

When he submitting the e-apr,
1. In "offer of employment" - he should upload the offer letter of his current job, which states full-time permanent or more than 2 years, and the positive LMIA doc.
It should meet the requirement,
  • your current employer made you an offer to give you a full-time job for at least one year if you’re accepted as a permanent resident

2. In "letter of employment" - he should upload a letter to prove that he is currently employed, and his current closed-work permit.
Then it should meet the requirements,
  • you’re working for an employer listed on your work permit
  • you’re authorized to work in Canada on the day you apply for a permanent resident visa, and when the visa is issued

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I want to make sure I'm correct.

For example, one already has one-year working experience in Canada, and he is working with the employer under closed-work permit based on positive LMIA, which LMIA still valid after e-apr.

When he submitting the e-apr,
1. In "offer of employment" - he should upload the offer letter of his current job, which states full-time permanent or more than 2 years, and the positive LMIA doc.
It should meet the requirement,
  • your current employer made you an offer to give you a full-time job for at least one year if you’re accepted as a permanent resident

2. In "letter of employment" - he should upload a letter to prove that he is currently employed, and his current closed-work permit.
Then it should meet the requirements,
  • you’re working for an employer listed on your work permit
  • you’re authorized to work in Canada on the day you apply for a permanent resident visa, and when the visa is issued
If you want the 50 points for a job offer, you need a letter that specifically states you will be employed full-time for at least one year after becoming a PR. Your original offer letter does not meet that requirement.

bosco2814

Jan 5, 2020
If you want the 50 points for a job offer, you need a letter that specifically states you will be employed full-time for at least one year after becoming a PR. Your original offer letter does not meet that requirement.
but from the IRCC website, It states that
  • by an employer with a new positive LMIA that approves the offer and names you and your position OR
The LMIA is dual intent, which means it’s not only support his closed work permit, but also support his PR application. It meets this requirement.

If one doesn’t hold a valid LMIA, then he needs to get the exact letter that u have mentioned.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
but from the IRCC website, It states that
  • by an employer with a new positive LMIA that approves the offer and names you and your position OR
The LMIA is dual intent, which means it’s not only support his closed work permit, but also support his PR application. It meets this requirement.

If one doesn’t hold a valid LMIA, then he needs to get the exact letter that u have mentioned.
Apps have been refused when they didn't have a letter specifically stating a job offer for one year after PR. It is a clear requirement, regardless of the LMIA. Your choice if you want to take the risk.

bosco2814

Jan 5, 2020
Apps have been refused when they didn't have a letter specifically stating a job offer for one year after PR. It is a clear requirement, regardless of the LMIA. Your choice if you want to take the risk.
I just want to share some extra information.

In an LMIA confirmation letter, it states that
"This positive LMIA is issued with reference to your stated commitment to support both a work permit application and a permanent residence application (this means the employer will hire the foreign national as a temporary foreign worker before or while the permanent residence application is being processed)".

It also states that "LMIA Stream: Permanent Resident", and "Duration of Employment: 2 Year(s)".

To obtain the LMIA, your employer has to submit a job offer letter to the ESDC, which including the position, started date, working hours, wage and job duties. Which means the job offer letter has been accepted by ESDC, otherwise, the LMIA should not be issued.
Moreover, most of the job offers are full-time permanent or two years or more.

Therefore, unless your LMIA is expired, the job offer letter for the LMIA is the same one for your PR application.

If you are currently working with the same employer with a closed-work permit based on LMIA but the LMIA is expired.
You either obtain a new LMIA or get a job offer letter that states you will be employed full-time at least one more year after becoming a PR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I just want to share some extra information.

In an LMIA confirmation letter, it states that
"This positive LMIA is issued with reference to your stated commitment to support both a work permit application and a permanent residence application (this means the employer will hire the foreign national as a temporary foreign worker before or while the permanent residence application is being processed)".

It also states that "LMIA Stream: Permanent Resident", and "Duration of Employment: 2 Year(s)".

To obtain the LMIA, your employer has to submit a job offer letter to the ESDC, which including the position, started date, working hours, wage and job duties. Which means the job offer letter has been accepted by ESDC, otherwise, the LMIA should not be issued.
Moreover, most of the job offers are full-time permanent or two years or more.

Therefore, unless your LMIA is expired, the job offer letter for the LMIA is the same one for your PR application.

If you are currently working with the same employer with a closed-work permit based on LMIA but the LMIA is expired.
You either obtain a new LMIA or get a job offer letter that states you will be employed full-time at least one more year after becoming a PR.
Again, what is stated in the LMIA is not a substitute for an actual statement provided to IRCC from the employer confirming the one year job offer after PR.

kjstart

Dec 19, 2014
Are you on a closed work permit with your employer listed on your work permit? Have you worked for your employer for at least one year in Canada?
Hi, I just saw this post and want to apply in the same way. Is that OK my current employer states they will continue to hire me at least one year after I got PR in Employment Letter? Can I use this 2 in 1 Employment Letter for both Job Letter and proof of work experience? They just consist do not provide a new job offer letter since I am already employed. Thanks!

Kandy123

Star Member
Nov 29, 2020
Yes. You can claim the points after you have worked for your employer in Canada for one full year.
Can I claim 50 points if I worked with same employer under PGWP currently working with same employer under closed work permit less than 1 Year

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can I claim 50 points if I worked with same employer under PGWP currently working with same employer under closed work permit less than 1 Year
I'm assuming you're referring to an LMIA exempt scenario?

The answer to this question isn't clear. The wording on the IRCC site refers to working for at least a year under the current work permit. The current work permit is the closed work permit (not the PGWP). I don't believe we've seen a clear answer to this question. Looking at the language on the IRCC site, the time on the PGWP would not be counted.

Kandy123

Star Member
Nov 29, 2020
Exactly this is total confuse I worked 1 Year with same employer under PGWP
Now working same employer under closed work permit less than a year
IRCC says 1 Year experience need with ^that ^ employer
This is confusing

sonyc

Jan 13, 2021
Hi,

This 50 points job offer requirement is making me confused; hence I would like to redundantly ask it once again:
1) For the last 2.5 years, I have worked for the same employer on an LMIA-based closed work permit.
2) Initially, it was issued for two years, and now it is extended for two more years.

I want to ask a two parted question:
1) In my current situation, can I claim the 50 points?
2) If Yes, which documents do I need to submit to support my application for AoR?

Looking forward to the response from this awesome community.

Thanks