+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship test results, Edmonton Office

alsalehm

Dec 2, 2014
I agree with you on the levels of files. I believe my file was level2 for the same reasons you just have mentioned!
You seem to have an easy access to immigration officers ;)
Can you ask next time you go why the hek they let trainees handle the files and ask stupid questions?

I wish you good luck with your file!

bambino

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, what I do for a living allows me better access. It also helped me get their attention when I went as a member of the public to a couple of citizenship ceremonies and talk to me, rather than just ignore me. And I have one of those personalities... just don't give a ****. I was going to harass a few of them yesterday, but was under a tight schedule and didn't have time ;D

I did notice all the trainees shadowing the officers. For the most part they seemed to just observe and keep their mouths shut. Ah, the other thing the fellow I spoke to said was that sometimes the newer officers would, for fear of missing something, make a big deal out of something that a more seasoned one would consider nothing special.

Sassy22

Nov 5, 2014
interesting, looks like i might have to wait for while , my case is pretty staright forward i think i havent been out side of canada in almost 9 years since i came here . i hope i dont have to wait due to backlog, lol :( applied in july 2014 in process oct 2014 file tranferred , nothing yet

lenium

Dec 2, 2014
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anybody have the latest version of residency questionarie form? (07-2014)? Can somebody upload a pdf version of it somewhere? I made some mistakes in filling mine up and need a fresh from. CIC call center cannot give you one. thanks for your help

kumark

Apr 1, 2009
lenium said:
Does anybody have the latest version of residency questionarie form? (07-2014)? Can somebody upload a pdf version of it somewhere? I made some mistakes in filling mine up and need a fresh from. CIC call center cannot give you one. thanks for your help
here you go
residencequestionnaire.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/cit_0171e_09_2012-e.pdf

2c

Star Member
May 19, 2008
bambino said:
Yes, what I do for a living allows me better access. It also helped me get their attention when I went as a member of the public to a couple of citizenship ceremonies and talk to me, rather than just ignore me. And I have one of those personalities... just don't give a ****. I was going to harass a few of them yesterday, but was under a tight schedule and didn't have time ;D

I did notice all the trainees shadowing the officers. For the most part they seemed to just observe and keep their mouths shut. Ah, the other thing the fellow I spoke to said was that sometimes the newer officers would, for fear of missing something, make a big deal out of something that a more seasoned one would consider nothing special.
when I was at the window for the interview, a junior officer was sitting on the chair and an antique lady was observing him and as soon as I approached the window I asked both of then so who is observing who? they both stared at me like I am an alien. my interview lasted less than five minutes.

ukmike57

Dec 30, 2014
I haven't heard anything yet either, my test date was October 24th. I have to wonder just how screwed up their processes are when those who took their test in November have already had their oath ceremony. I was told at the end of November my file was showing as writing to schedule oath.

Maybe a special kind of ineptness is required to work for the government.

kumark

Apr 1, 2009
ukmike57 said:
I haven't heard anything yet either, my test date was October 24th. I have to wonder just how screwed up their processes are when those who took their test in November have already had their oath ceremony. I was told at the end of November my file was showing as writing to schedule oath.

Hi ukmike!
would you mind sharing your time lines?
thanks

usernametaken

Oct 27, 2014
bambino said:
I was at the Edmonton CIC office today on business, for a non-citizenship related matter. There were people being interviewed but there did not appear to be any kind of testing going on. People seemed to have individual appointments, and were led straight from the area outside the front entrance (where the gloomy security guard lady sits) to their interviews by the officer assigned to them. Some were being interviewed at the little glass windows, others behind closed doors. Does anyone know what this may have been all about? I do know it was citizenship related. None of interviewees were old enough to be exempt from the test requirement.

Later in the day I got to chat with a person who used to be a citizenship officer until relatively recently at the Edmonton CIC office. He readily acknowledged that the crazy numbers of RQs issued created terrible backlogs in Edmonton, a situation that was exacerbated by the lack of a CJ back in 2012 (as all RQs had to be referred to a CJ for a hearing).

He also confirmed that "straightforward" cases were being reviewed by Level 1 officers, and that there was a push to get those processed on a relative priority basis. More complicated cases were given to Level 2 officers. When I was interviewed back in September I did notice a label on the folder that contained my file that said "Level 2". I guess that explains why it took 25 months for me to even get scheduled for a test, and only after the CIC call centre had sent a "WTF" note to the local office after 24 months.

I don't know what makes a file "Level 2". In my case, I used pre-PR time, and had some 15 short trips for a total of 120 days, some to obvious tourist destinations in the US, and others to various places in Asia and Europe where I have family. Part of the confusion may have been that for many of my intercontinental trips I drove to, and flew out of a major US airport that was relatively close to my Canadian place of residence in order to save a bundle.

Hell, that last part should qualify me for a honorary Canadian citizenship ;D
Hi bambino, I would like to thank you for posting some information on the status in edmonton cic. I have been stuck in between the test and oath limbo since Feb 2014. I'm reading this tread and a lot of you guys are lucky for getting a fairly relatively smooth process. Here's my timeline so that you people feel lucky lol

Citizenship
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on January 26, 2011.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on January 26, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on February 9, 2012.

We sent you a notice on January 24, 2014 to appear and write the citizenship test on February 19, 2014 at 1:00 PM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

I'v sent the documents concerning my residency in august 2014 and I am waiting now! crossing my fingers so that the extra officers can get it done quickly!

bambino

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Holy crap, usernametaken!

I forgot to mention in my post from last month that when I spoke to that one helpful citizenship officer, I also asked him when CIC-Edmonton started issuing CIT 0520, the so-called "RQ Lite" (which I hope is what you got). He said August, 2014 which I found a bit odd since the form had been in existence and given to applicants as far back as late 2013 at some other local offices.

Assuming he was right, you seem to be one of the first people to submit additional documents in response to CIT0520, and will presumably be among the first whose documents will be reviewed. That nothing has happened to your file in the past nearly 6 months is disconcerting, especially for those of us who got the form in the months following, but not surprising. The fellow told me that there had been only 2 people at Edmonton reviewing RQ/CIT0520 up until December. I hope the new hires' training will be done soon. I also got the impression that RQs and CIT0520 will each have a designated team of officers and will be processed in parallel; that is they won't necessarily have to clear all the RQs first before getting to the CIT0520 applications.

Another update. I was able to get the name and email of CIC higher-up and sent him a somewhat intemperate but respectful email before the holidays. I actually got a letter from him yesterday, and while it was not particularly responsive, he did offer an estimate as to when my file might be finalized -- 6 months from now, which is 8-9 months after I submitted additional documents and 1-2 months short of the 36 month "non-routine" average.

Your four-year anniversary is coming up in a couple of weeks... that's just rotten.

bambino

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ukmike57 said:
;D That could definitely be a factor, although in their defence, CIC-Edmonton have been understaffed for years.