+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Eligibility Question for Spouse of Protected Person

Hellodear1

Apr 16, 2019
Hello everyone,

I’m seeking clarification on a citizenship application matter. My spouse is applying for citizenship after completing the required time as a permanent resident. We both received our PR at the same time, but he was a protected person for one year during that period, while I only had a work permit. My work permit has the description: "This WP does not confer temporary resident status."

My question is: Does my time spent on a work permit, and as the spouse of a protected person, count towards my citizenship eligibility? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello everyone,

I’m seeking clarification on a citizenship application matter. My spouse is applying for citizenship after completing the required time as a permanent resident. We both received our PR at the same time, but he was a protected person for one year during that period, while I only had a work permit. My work permit has the description: "This WP does not confer temporary resident status."

My question is: Does my time spent on a work permit, and as the spouse of a protected person, count towards my citizenship eligibility? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Did you receive WP after your spouse received a positive decision confirming protected person status?

Hellodear1

Apr 16, 2019
When I arrived in Canada in 2019 as an inland immigrant, my spouse was a refugee claimant. I also filed a refugee claim, but it was returned because I was in the U.S. as refugee and ineligible in Canada. However, I received a work permit in 2019. In early 2021, when my spouse was approved as a protected person, my previous work permit had expired, so I applied for a new one and got it until we both became permanent residents in 2022.

Since I received my PR in February 2022, I can definitely apply for citizenship in February 2025. However, I was wondering if my temporary status could count, allowing me to apply now.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
When I arrived in Canada in 2019 as an inland immigrant, my spouse was a refugee claimant. I also filed a refugee claim, but it was returned because I was in the U.S. as refugee and ineligible in Canada. However, I received a work permit in 2019. In early 2021, when my spouse was approved as a protected person, my previous work permit had expired, so I applied for a new one and got it until we both became permanent residents in 2022.

Since I received my PR in February 2022, I can definitely apply for citizenship in February 2025. However, I was wondering if my temporary status could count, allowing me to apply now.
Normally you get 0.5 days for every day you stayed in Canada on WP. But yours being a special case not sure how it will work in that case. Will let others chime in.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My sincere recommendation if you are at all uncertain about how you would document this / exactly how your status was considered is to just wait until you are eligible without the days-before Feb 22 time in Canada.

It might mean waiting a bit longer now, but with less uncertainty of what happens if they ask for more detail or have to go and check it. or put differently, I'm concerned that if any doubt or extra checks come, your application will get delayed and possibly more. If you don't have any burning or urgent need to get the citizenship, may be easier to wait the extra 4-5 months.

Just my opinion, of course - it's up to you. And I recognize it's easy for me to say, I'm not the one who would have to wait.