+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Children citizenship and born outside canada

bashaclick

Sep 10, 2011
Hello ,
I have couple questions regarding the Citizenship and canada passport.

1- I will apply for Citizenship on Feb 2012 when I can get the passport ? ( I heard it take like 19 month ) I will apply from london , Ontario

2- If I have child and born outside Canada but his mam and dad Canadian . his can get Citizenship automatically or should be live in Canada ?

Thanks.... 8)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. If you apply for citizenship in Feb. 2012 as you have lived in Canada for at least 3 years in the past 4 as a PR, your application will be processed and could take around a year, maybe less, maybe a little more or in some cases a lot more but nobody can tell you that beforehand. At some point, they will invite you to take the exam and if you pass, you can swear an oath to the English Queen and get your citizenship certificate. After you get it, you can go straight to the passport office and have your passport in as little as 24 hours if you are willing to pay for urgent processing. The normal processing is 2 weeks if you go to the passport office and get the passport mailed to you when it is ready.

2. For the child to be a citizen, it is enough that one of the parents is a Canadian. You would have to apply for the citizenship certificate through the Canadian embassy where you live and it can take 15 months to get unless you have a good reason to ask for expedited processing like moving to Canada soon and needing services for the baby. Having applied for the citizenship certificate for the baby even if you don't have it yet also means that you would be able to get a temporary Canadian passport for the baby.

The only instance where a baby born overseas with a Canadian parent can't get citizenship is when the parent is himself born outside Canada and gained citizenship himself because his parent(s) were Canadian. Same for this baby, being born outside Canada and having gained citizenship because of a parent, the baby will not be able to pass Canadian citizenship to his or her children if they are born outside Canada.

Grumpy

Jul 13, 2011
I've already come to this forum to have my fears confirmed that my to-be-born baby will not be able to be born a Canadian if not born in Canada. I am Canadian born to Canadian parents abroad and seemingly have a Canadian citizenship 'lite' - all the liability but without the privilege.

Trying the sober approach, we're looking at getting my wife (non-Canadian) into Canada in time for the no-fly period and have her stay in Montreal until she is able to give birth. God willing this happens without incident and within the expected time.

As we are not residents of Canada, we will be looking to bring my wife back home as soon as possible following her delivery. This said, how easy, quickly could she leave Canada with child appreciating that 1) the child has medical clearance 2) we have some form of documentation to allow my wife to leave Canada with child for home.

As everyone has told me, that as a Canadian, I have every opportunity to have the child in Canada but no one has suggested how to remove the baby from Canada. As both or us work abroad, we could not afford to stay in Canada much beyond the birth.

Appreciate any advice.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You just don't realized your privilege that you can apply your Canadian passport without physically living in Canada for certain number of years. What liability are you talking about????

Besides, if your child is born in Canada, you can apply a passport on behalf of the child after you got the child's birth certificate. With the Canadian passport, you and your wife can take the child to your overseas home.

Grumpy said:
I've already come to this forum to have my fears confirmed that my to-be-born baby will not be able to be born a Canadian if not born in Canada. I am Canadian born to Canadian parents abroad and seemingly have a Canadian citizenship 'lite' - all the liability but without the privilege.

Trying the sober approach, we're looking at getting my wife (non-Canadian) into Canada in time for the no-fly period and have her stay in Montreal until she is able to give birth. God willing this happens without incident and within the expected time.

As we are not residents of Canada, we will be looking to bring my wife back home as soon as possible following her delivery. This said, how easy, quickly could she leave Canada with child appreciating that 1) the child has medical clearance 2) we have some form of documentation to allow my wife to leave Canada with child for home.

As everyone has told me, that as a Canadian, I have every opportunity to have the child in Canada but no one has suggested how to remove the baby from Canada. As both or us work abroad, we could not afford to stay in Canada much beyond the birth.

Appreciate any advice.

Grumpy

Jul 13, 2011
steaky said:
You just don't realized your privilege that you can apply your Canadian passport without physically living in Canada for certain number of years. What liability are you talking about????

Besides, if your child is born in Canada, you can apply a passport on behalf of the child after you got the child's birth certificate. With the Canadian passport, you and your wife can take the child to your overseas home.
Thanks Steaky - i'm afraid that I'm no clearer. We would need to return in a matter of a week or two. Once the child is born, it would be at that point that I would expect to process the application and need to know if there is any body that i can apply/appeal to, to allow our child to leave the country.

Appreciating that my wife will not be fully recovered, we will want to get back home as soon as possible.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Grumpy said:
Thanks Steaky - i'm afraid that I'm no clearer. We would need to return in a matter of a week or two. Once the child is born, it would be at that point that I would expect to process the application and need to know if there is any body that i can apply/appeal to, to allow our child to leave the country.

Appreciating that my wife will not be fully recovered, we will want to get back home as soon as possible.
You can leave the country with the child as soon as you have a passport for him/her. The airlines won't board him/her until 7 days old and has a passport.

Grumpy

Jul 13, 2011
PMM said:
Hi

You can leave the country with the child as soon as you have a passport for him/her. The airlines won't board him/her until 7 days old and has a passport.
So therein lies my question - i am not sure that I've read how quickly one can obtain citizenship ( said normally to take up to 14 months?) and then obtain a passport - in this sequence. although this may only be for applications made abroad?

My wife works for the airlines and we know that one can travel as early as 3 days post delivery with medical clearance. but my concern is more on the other aspect - are we being entirely delusional in thinking that we might be able to leave within a matter of week(s)?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Grumpy said:
So therein lies my question - i am not sure that I've read how quickly one can obtain citizenship ( said normally to take up to 14 months?) and then obtain a passport - in this sequence. although this may only be for applications made abroad?

My wife works for the airlines and we know that one can travel as early as 3 days post delivery with medical clearance. but my concern is more on the other aspect - are we being entirely delusional in thinking that we might be able to leave within a matter of week(s)?
1. The child is born in Canada, it is automatically a Canadian citizen (unless you are diplomats) and there is no application for citizenship. You just apply for a Canadian passport with the birth certificate and the supporting documents.
2. Not on Air Canada 7 days old.. You can leave whenever you get the passport. You realize that the hospital is going to charge you between $5K - $10K for the delivery?

Grumpy

Jul 13, 2011
@PMM -

i think we're chasing our tails here.

how much time would one budget to obtain a passport to leave the country both mother and child. If not a passport, is the child able to travel with documents demonstrating that the passport application is in process. I was told (in a different scenario by the consulate) that this is possible but subject to the discretion of the government - (citizenship dept?)

appreciate your mention of Air Canada's policy - we don't work for AC - but really just need to find out if this is/could be days, weeks or months.

tks for the reminder about the costs involved for non-resident deliveries. It's one of the factors to consider as in our country of abode, we are covered entirely by the public health system.

then again, this is all about getting citizenship for my child which apart from this ruling change 2yrs back - the child should have a right to.

tks again for clarifying.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Grumpy said:
@ PMM -

i think we're chasing our tails here.

how much time would one budget to obtain a passport to leave the country both mother and child. If not a passport, is the child able to travel with documents demonstrating that the passport application is in process. I was told (in a different scenario by the consulate) that this is possible but subject to the discretion of the government - (citizenship dept?)

appreciate your mention of Air Canada's policy - we don't work for AC - but really just need to find out if this is/could be days, weeks or months.

tks for the reminder about the costs involved for non-resident deliveries. It's one of the factors to consider as in our country of abode, we are covered entirely by the public health system.

then again, this is all about getting citizenship for my child which apart from this ruling change 2yrs back - the child should have a right to.

tks again for clarifying.
1. The child needs a passport to travel, no ifs no buts. No airline will carry him/her without it. http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/16-.aspx
2. The processing time for Canadian passports is here: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/service.aspx?lang=eng
3. Note you will require a birth certificate for the child to obtain a passport. Ontario processing times. http://www.ontario.ca/en/information_bundle/birthcertificates/119274.html#long

Grumpy

Jul 13, 2011
Thanks -

This is what i was looking for.

many thanks for steering me to the links. I am going to assume similar times for Quebec as well.

Best -

fofo

Nov 1, 2011
i will tell you my story so you can have an idea

Hello my wife gave birth on Jan 30th. Jan 31 i went online to Ontario services
Which is the easiest way to register your baby's birth and fastest way to apply for their birth certificate, Canada Child Benefits and Social Insurance Number all at the same time

• To apply for your birth certificate, you will need:
Applicant Information (First and Last Name, Mailing Address, Phone Number)
• Subject Information (First, Middle, and Last Name, Date of Birth, Gender, City of Birth)
• Previous Legal Names for the person named on the Birth Registration, if applicable
• Mother's Information (Maiden Name)
• Guarantor Information (only required for subjects age 9 or older; First and Last Name, Occupation, Work Address, Daytime Phone Number, if Guarantor is a Canadian Citizen)
• A valid method of payment (VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Interac® Online)
• A printer or the ability to save your receipt to print later

after I finished the form , 3 days later I received my son birth certificate and 7 days later I got the sin number .
once we got the birth certificate we went to get a picture for my son and that’s is the hardest part because every time we go to get him the picture he will be a sleep and the picture requirements is the eyes should be open. So we did this for 5 times and finally we did it.
I filled the passport form and we applied for the passport but I wasn’t in a harry so it took
10 days to get by mail but if you show them the ticket and pay more then you can have it same day

Good luck and I hope this will help

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fofo said:
i will tell you my story so you can have an idea

Hello my wife gave birth on Jan 30th. Jan 31 i went online to Ontario services
Which is the easiest way to register your baby's birth and fastest way to apply for their birth certificate, Canada Child Benefits and Social Insurance Number all at the same time
You should start your own thread because this is for children born outside Canada to get citizenship.

Jowy

Nov 23, 2011
Hi I am a Canadian Citizen and i am married to a Philippine Citizen. We reside in the Philippines and will be giving birth here next year. I will eventually start sponsorship of my wife to go to Canada. My questions are:

1) What citizenship will my baby hold? Canadian and Philippine? (though born in Philippines). I also recall reading that, though my baby will be Canadian Citizen, i will have to apply for a Cdn Citizenship card. Is that correct?

2) Will i have to include my baby on the sponsorship? or will he/she be allowed to come to Canada, no question?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Jowy said:
Hi I am a Canadian Citizen and i am married to a Philippine Citizen. We reside in the Philippines and will be giving birth here next year. I will eventually start sponsorship of my wife to go to Canada. My questions are:

1) What citizenship will my baby hold? Canadian and Philippine? (though born in Philippines). I also recall reading that, though my baby will be Canadian Citizen, i will have to apply for a Cdn Citizenship card. Is that correct?

2) Will i have to include my baby on the sponsorship? or will he/she be allowed to come to Canada, no question?
1. Both citizenships (if the Philippines recognizes dual citizens)
2. You will have to apply for proof of citizenship.
3. No, the baby will be a Canadian citizen so is not included.
4. Would need a Canadian passport.