+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Children citizenship and born outside canada

Jowy

Nov 23, 2011
Thank you PMM for your speedy reply.

1. Both citizenships (if the Philippines recognizes dual citizens) Great. The Philippines DOES recognize dual citizens
2. You will have to apply for proof of citizenship. Will my birth certificate suffice?
3. No, the baby will be a Canadian citizen so is not included. Great. Baby is NOT included in the sponsorship papers.
4. Would need a Canadian passport. Alright, i'm sure i can attain that at the Canadian Embassy in Manila, Philippines.

When our baby is born, do you happen to know what kind of papers we would require to apply for his/hers Passport? ie. Birth Certificate (that says dual Canadian/Philippine Citizen), will there be a citizen card that we need to apply for?

Thanks very much PMM

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jowy said:
Thank you PMM for your speedy reply.

1. Both citizenships (if the Philippines recognizes dual citizens) Great. The Philippines DOES recognize dual citizens
2. You will have to apply for proof of citizenship. Will my birth certificate suffice? Read this website for details what is required and relevant procedures: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/philippines/consular_services_consulaires/citizenship-citoyennete.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=38&view=d
3. No, the baby will be a Canadian citizen so is not included. Great. Baby is NOT included in the sponsorship papers.
4. Would need a Canadian passport. Alright, i'm sure i can attain that at the Canadian Embassy in Manila, Philippines.

When our baby is born, do you happen to know what kind of papers we would require to apply for his/hers Passport? ie. Birth Certificate (that says dual Canadian/Philippine Citizen), will there be a citizen card that we need to apply for?
If baby is born in Canada, the baby needs a Canadian birth certificate in order to apply for its Canadian passport;
If baby is born in the Phillipines, you would need to apply a Canadian citizenship card for the baby in order to get the Canadian passport.

Thanks very much PMM

Jowy

Nov 23, 2011
Thanks for the link Steaky

Our baby will be born in the Philippines. That said, his/hers Citizenship Card, will need to be attained. I'm reading that the process may take up to 14 months. We are planning on having my wife and baby in Canada as soon as possible. In other words, it could really take up to 14 months until we can apply for the passport. Realistically, i'm looking at over a year before my wife and baby are in Canada, at the very soonest (after baby is born), regardless of his/her actual status is Canadian/Filipino?

Have you heard of this process happening sooner than 14 months?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jowy said:
Thanks for the link Steaky

Our baby will be born in the Philippines. That said, his/hers Citizenship Card, will need to be attained. I'm reading that the process may take up to 14 months. We are planning on having my wife and baby in Canada as soon as possible. In other words, it could really take up to 14 months until we can apply for the passport. Realistically, i'm looking at over a year before my wife and baby are in Canada, at the very soonest (after baby is born), regardless of his/her actual status is Canadian/Filipino?

Have you heard of this process happening sooner than 14 months?
You can apply for the citizenship certificate and ask for expedited processing if you are planning on going to Canada soon and preferable if you can prove it, say you have bought tickets already. I have heard of people getting them in as little as 2 months. Another thing you can do is ask for a temporary passport for the baby as soon as you have applied for the citizenship certificate or at the same time. It is standard practice in embassies to grant a temporary passport to a baby or a toddler if you have already applied for the citizenship certificate.

Jowy

Nov 23, 2011
Great info Leon. Thanks very much!

That gives me some positive hope for expediting the process.

in process

Star Member
Oct 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
25th april 2012
Med's Done....
10th sep 2012
Passport Req..
20th may 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7th june 2013
LANDED..........
END OF JUNE
Hi,

my children citizen application received in islamabad september 2, 2011 and before a week i received official receipt which was hand written and they returned all original documents.. somebody can tell me the processing steps of outside born citizen application.

regards

alexis2010

Feb 10, 2010
Hi,
How do we expedite the application for a Citizenship Certificate and Canadian passport for our baby?
And how do we supply 2 IDs (one with a picture) for a newborn?

I'm a PR, my husband is a citizen, we live in Vancouver. We flew to Manila for a visit and could not obtain medical clearance to fly back to Canada due to pregnancy complications. I will now have to deliver my baby in Manila. We need to fly back to our lives in Vancouver as soon as possible after my baby is born.

Any help will be grately appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alexis2010 said:
Hi,
How do we expedite the application for a Citizenship Certificate and Canadian passport for our baby?
And how do we supply 2 IDs (one with a picture) for a newborn?

I'm a PR, my husband is a citizen, we live in Vancouver. We flew to Manila for a visit and could not obtain medical clearance to fly back to Canada due to pregnancy complications. I will now have to deliver my baby in Manila. We need to fly back to our lives in Vancouver as soon as possible after my baby is born.

Any help will be grately appreciated.
Send 2 of your ID's. The baby will not have any yet. Apply for the citizenship certificate at the embassy. You don't have to wait for the citizenship certificate to get a temporary passport. You must apply for it at the embassy and then you can apply for a temporary passport. Of course you can ask for expedited processing regardless.

alexis2010

Feb 10, 2010
Thanks Leon! We've been trying to get in touch with the local embassy but haven't had much luck. I hope they expedite our paperwork even if we just send it via courier.

May 31, 2013
Hi, I and my husband are Canadian citizen, we already bought our tickets going to Philippines and 1 day after found out that I am pregnant. My due date will be around the time we are in the Philippines, what is the process in getting a passport, citizenship, or any medical clearance need to be done for my little one? We will be in the Philippines fr. Dec 10-Jan 31,2014 and my due date is Jan 20, and tickets are non-refundable so we will still go for this vacation. I will be choosing home birthing as well because my 2 children I had them delivered here in Canada naturally. Would there be a problem with that too, home birthing since baby will be register prob the 1-2days after she/he will be born. I understand that there's expediate process but how fast is that? And would you happen to have the Canadian Embassy address in the philippines or who to call/contact to there? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DearMamaDearPapa said:
Hi, I and my husband are Canadian citizen, we already bought our tickets going to Philippines and 1 day after found out that I am pregnant. My due date will be around the time we are in the Philippines, what is the process in getting a passport, citizenship, or any medical clearance need to be done for my little one? We will be in the Philippines fr. Dec 10-Jan 31,2014 and my due date is Jan 20, and tickets are non-refundable so we will still go for this vacation. I will be choosing home birthing as well because my 2 children I had them delivered here in Canada naturally. Would there be a problem with that too, home birthing since baby will be register prob the 1-2days after she/he will be born. I understand that there's expediate process but how fast is that? And would you happen to have the Canadian Embassy address in the philippines or who to call/contact to there? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Hi DearMamaDearPapa, forgive me as this is not in response to the question you asked, but you should check with the airline, as there are often restrictions on if you are allowed to fly so late in the pregnancy, especially for a long-haul route like Canada to Philippines. Additionally, as someone who's daughter was born 11 days after her due date (which is totally within the normal range) is there any flexibility to change the return date of your flight in case your child isn't born on the predicted schedule? And finally, travel insurance companies typically won't cover pregnancy related expenses beyond 32 weeks, so it's worth thinking about what your back-up plan is if the homebirthing does not progress as predicted and whether you can afford to pay out of pocket on the off chance you need to go to a medical centre.
Sorry I don't have answers to the questions that you I asked. Good luck with the logistics and the rest of the pregnancy.