03-01-2018
Passport Req..
05-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
05-04-2018
LANDED..........
Waiting
Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me how long does it take to get the proof of citizenship for minor from outside Canada and USA?

We have applied for our daughter's proof of citizenship on 20 March 2017 from Bangladesh and its showing " in process" in the Ecas status from June, we haven't got anything after that. Its been almost 8 months we have applied. I wanted to know how long it usually takes from outside Canada if anybody knows please let me know it will be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

Going through

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me how long does it take to get the proof of citizenship for minor from outside Canada and USA?

We have applied for our daughter's proof of citizenship on 20 March 2017 from Bangladesh and its showing " in process" in the Ecas status from June, we haven't got anything after that. Its been almost 8 months we have applied. I wanted to know how long it usually takes from outside Canada if anybody knows please let me know it will be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

From the http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp regarding processing times:

Normal processing time is 5 months...However:

If you live outside Canada and outside the United States and are applying through a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, add an additional 3 to 4 months to the total processing time.

If you are applying on behalf of a minor child residing outside Canada and outside the United States and the application is submitted directly to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, add an additional 6 to 8 months to the total processing time.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Hi everyone,

Send a fax inquiry to the Embassy and ask for status update for the case.

manay99

May 27, 2016
Hello,
There is anyone who can help me to fill out the information ?

Hi Canuck and screech339 ,
I am based in Dubai and my passport is getting expired by the end of next month.
I need help to fill the form for ABROAD RENEWAL APPLICATION FORM,

Canadian Embassy told me to download pptc 482 form from their website.

Personal Information
Current Home address ( I will mention my Dubai home address?)
Mailing Address ( Dubai Home address?)

Section 2
Enclose any Canadian passport issued to you within the last six years. (Do i have to enter the details of my last passport details which is getting expired? )

Section 5 ADDITIONAL PERSONAL INFORMATIOn
(A) Address in the last two years ( I m in Dubai since last 5 years. so do i have to mention my Dubai address? )
(B) Occupation - (Occupation Details of Dubai? )

Section 6 REFERENCE
Mandatory to fill this information in Section 6 ? Those 2 reference person must be Canadian or they can be anyone? those 2 reference has to be based in DUBAI or any part in the world?

Looking forward hearing you.
Your guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Going through

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
An AOR is supposed to occur after they have received your application, opened it, reviewed it, and then considered it "complete". That's from a documentation perspective. They could return it later, but they're supposed to have reviewed everything first before sending it onward.

Received is just the AOR stuff. It's normal, even for those of us who applied before the change in photo requirement.

Thanks for your response!
I just received an update on ECAS and it's now saying that on Nov. 3rd they mailed me out correspondence acknowledging receipt of my application...so looking out for that in the mail...will probably take me another week to receive it in the States. Glad to see progress is underway, in any case :)

@Keith Moon have you seen any updates at all regarding your kids' applications?

Keith Moon

Feb 4, 2017
I just received an update on ECAS and it's now saying that on Nov. 3rd they mailed me out correspondence acknowledging receipt of my application...so looking out for that in the mail...will probably take me another week to receive it in the States. Glad to see progress is underway, in any case :)

@Keith Moon have you seen any updates at all regarding your kids' applications?
No - none.

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA

At least in my case there was no physically mailed notification because I had put an email address on CIT 0001E. The notification was an email with a PDF attachment from Do Not Reply - Ne Pas Repondre <Client-update-mise-a-jour@cic.gc.ca> with the subject Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada: Information about PR000##### (where the #'s were additional digits for my specific application). The PDF was basically a form letter that they acknowledged receipt and the documents/application will be reviewed.

When my application was approved (the in process/other statuses saying it was done, status before clicking the link was in process) that did not generate an email, and it reflected in ECAS a day later (again because the tool is in batch).

Once the hyperlink status on the status check tool changed from "in process" to "complete", I received the certificate a few days later. I'm guessing (from GoshoJosh06's thread and experience + mine) that the date it's marked "complete" in ECAS reflects the actual mailing date of the certificate.

aredmiata

Nov 6, 2017
Austin, Texas, USA
I had appplied back around August 2016. The application was sent back to me due to various errors on my part. When I checked online, it used to read something that reflected what Nyguy's status updates looked like, except it said my application was sent on October 16th, 2017. Now it says this:

1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on September 18, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on October 5, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on October 16, 2017.
  4. We sent your citizenship certificate on October 25, 2017 to: (my address here). If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address, please contact us.
Never mind the fact that it is being sent to my previous address, even after I sent them mail to update my address.

My question is this - My mail is forwarded from that address. Does CIC request a return to sender/will not forward? Or will it probably be forwarded to my new address, assuming the carrier doesn't make a mistake?

I'm outside of Canada (in the USA), so calling them isn't an option.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
I had appplied back around August 2016. The application was sent back to me due to various errors on my part. When I checked online, it used to read something that reflected what Nyguy's status updates looked like, except it said my application was sent on October 16th, 2017. Now it says this:

1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on September 18, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on October 5, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on October 16, 2017.
  4. We sent your citizenship certificate on October 25, 2017 to: (my address here). If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address, please contact us.
Never mind the fact that it is being sent to my previous address, even after I sent them mail to update my address.

My question is this - My mail is forwarded from that address. Does CIC request a return to sender/will not forward? Or will it probably be forwarded to my new address, assuming the carrier doesn't make a mistake?

I'm outside of Canada (in the USA), so calling them isn't an option.

Thanks for your help!
There's a backdoor to call them from the US, but it's sent via Canada Post and treated as First Class Mail by the US. If you have your mail being forwarded from the address that is listed, it should be forwarded. They don't mail it via expedited services or with a tracking number so I doubt they can stop delivery once it is sent out.

aredmiata

Nov 6, 2017
Austin, Texas, USA
There's a backdoor to call them from the US, but it's sent via Canada Post and treated as First Class Mail by the US. If you have your mail being forwarded from the address that is listed, it should be forwarded. They don't mail it via expedited services or with a tracking number so I doubt they can stop delivery once it is sent out.
Awesome. It's been about three weeks since they said it was mailed out, so I'm pretty anxious to get this in my hands. Thanks!

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Awesome. It's been about three weeks since they said it was mailed out, so I'm pretty anxious to get this in my hands. Thanks!
You'll probably see it soon. Mine was mailed August 31st and arrived in the mail September 9th. 9 days total (5 business days). The mailing standard for international mail sent via Canada Post (not guaranteed but typical) is 5-7 business days.

For you, today would be 9 business days / 13 days.

However, international mail is subject to holds for clearance at customs, and it's very likely that your piece will encounter a slight delay due to the forwarding. The letter is a larger format envelope (the certificate is shipped in an envelope that fits it without any folding and backed with cardboard). Larger items and rigid items don't go through the same equipment for automatic cancelling and

You might want to make sure the mail forwarding is still active, as a mail hold is initially for up to six months, and then can be extended for another six months (total one year).

There is no request for "return service requested" on the envelope so it should be forwarded normally:

Now the Passports sent via Canada Post / FedEx International priority, those are VERY clear on the envelope that the person must sign for them and that they should not be left and returned if not deliverable. Citizenship certificates contain no such requests on the envelope.

aredmiata

Nov 6, 2017
Austin, Texas, USA
You'll probably see it soon. Mine was mailed August 31st and arrived in the mail September 9th. 9 days total (5 business days). The mailing standard for international mail sent via Canada Post (not guaranteed but typical) is 5-7 business days.

For you, today would be 9 business days / 13 days.

However, international mail is subject to holds for clearance at customs, and it's very likely that your piece will encounter a slight delay due to the forwarding. The letter is a larger format envelope (the certificate is shipped in an envelope that fits it without any folding and backed with cardboard). Larger items and rigid items don't go through the same equipment for automatic cancelling and

You might want to make sure the mail forwarding is still active, as a mail hold is initially for up to six months, and then can be extended for another six months (total one year).

There is no request for "return service requested" on the envelope so it should be forwarded normally:

Now the Passports sent via Canada Post / FedEx International priority, those are VERY clear on the envelope that the person must sign for them and that they should not be left and returned if not deliverable. Citizenship certificates contain no such requests on the envelope.
That answers another question of mine too, thanks. I figured they sent it in that larger brown envelope but wasn't sure what to look out for. My move happened about three months ago, so it got caught in the middle of this application. I sent them a letter to update the address probably a month or two before they mailed the certificate. But even now, on their ECAS it shows my old address. Go figure. The passport will be easier I'm sure, because I'll be able to just put in the new address with no problems. Thanks for your help!!

Going through

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
At least in my case there was no physically mailed notification because I had put an email address on CIT 0001E. The notification was an email with a PDF attachment from Do Not Reply - Ne Pas Repondre <Client-update-mise-a-jour@cic.gc.ca> with the subject Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada: Information about PR000##### (where the #'s were additional digits for my specific application). The PDF was basically a form letter that they acknowledged receipt and the documents/application will be reviewed.

When my application was approved (the in process/other statuses saying it was done, status before clicking the link was in process) that did not generate an email, and it reflected in ECAS a day later (again because the tool is in batch).

Once the hyperlink status on the status check tool changed from "in process" to "complete", I received the certificate a few days later. I'm guessing (from GoshoJosh06's thread and experience + mine) that the date it's marked "complete" in ECAS reflects the actual mailing date of the certificate.

I received the paper AOR today in the mail...7 days after it posted on ECAS that they had sent it out. At least now I have an official UCI number.

Keith Moon

Feb 4, 2017
So I finally got a reply. It seems they are stating my application is incomplete because my kids' IDs are not certified copies.

Can somebody please confirm: passport copies DON'T need to be certified, right?

Going through

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
So I finally got a reply. It seems they are stating my application is incomplete because my kids' IDs are not certified copies.

Can somebody please confirm: passport copies DON'T need to be certified, right?

If you are using the child's passport as one of their ID documents the below applies to you---

From the application instructions http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0001ETOC.asp#pay-fee :

If this application is for your first citizenship certificate
  • Then provide clear and legible certified copies of your documents

Who can certify copies?
Persons authorized to certify copies include the following:

In Canada:

• a notary public
  • a commissioner of oaths
  • a commissioner of taking affidavits
Authority to certify varies by province and territory. Check with your local provincial or territorial authorities.

Outside Canada:

• a notary public
Authority to certify international documents varies by country. Check with your local authorities.

Applicants themselves or members of their family may not certify copies of your documents. This includes a parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew and first cousin.

Certified true copies
To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must (as described below) compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:

• “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”,
  • the name of the original document,
  • the date of the certification,
  • his or her name,
  • his or her official position or title, and
  • his or her signature.

What I did, living outside of Canada, was I took all of her ID as well as mine, photocopied it, and then had a notary public certify my signature on the copy as a "true copy of the original". The notary public then stamped/sealed it, and signed underneath attesting to my oath/signature.