+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

cBert

Aug 8, 2015
Hello, sorry if this has been posted.

My daughter's citizenship certificate application is all ready to go, and I am going around in circles trying to figure out where to send it! We live in London UK so I know it needs to go to our local consulate/high commission, which is Canada House in Trafalgar Sq, but is there a specific department?

All I have is:
Canada House
Trafalgar Sq
London, UK
SW1Y 5BJ

Envisioning it getting lost in the mailroom...

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
Hi there first time posting on this forum. Hoping to get some help and advice, thanks in advance.
Just some personal background info about myself:
I was born in China. Came to Canada in the mid80s as family class. Got my CDN citizenship in 1999 (did the exam and had the ceremony). I was married last year in Guangzhou China to a Chinese national. We are expecting our 1st newborn early November and I am flying to see my wife next week. Since I am a naturalized CDN citizen, is my baby also CDN citizen? Do I fill out CIT 0001 to get the certificate of citizenship at the CDN consulate in Guangzhou for my baby?
Also my wife's PR application is currently in process at the HK visa office, what can I do if the wife's PR is approve before my baby's certificate of citizenship (since it can take over a year or more)?

Thanks and look forward to some responses!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dko said:
We are expecting our 1st newborn early November and I am flying to see my wife next week. Since I am a naturalized CDN citizen, is my baby also CDN citizen? Do I fill out CIT 0001 to get the certificate of citizenship at the CDN consulate in Guangzhou for my baby?
Also my wife's PR application is currently in process at the HK visa office, what can I do if the wife's PR is approve before my baby's certificate of citizenship (since it can take over a year or more)?
Hi

Yes, your child will be Canadian. CIT0001 is the correct form.

When you submit the Certificate of Citizenship app, you can also submit an app for a limited validity Canadian passport for the baby. This will allow the child to travel to Canada before the Certificate has been issued.

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

When you submit the Certificate of Citizenship app, you can also submit an app for a limited validity Canadian passport for the baby. This will allow the child to travel to Canada before the Certificate has been issued.
Hi there thank u for your response!
So since I'm applying in person at the CDN consulate, can I just gave them the CIT0001 form plus all the other supporting docs? For the Limited Validity CDN passport do I have to show them proof of travel (ie. Air tickets)?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dko said:
Hi there thank u for your response!
So since I'm applying in person at the CDN consulate, can I just gave them the CIT0001 form plus all the other supporting docs? For the Limited Validity CDN passport do I have to show them proof of travel (ie. Air tickets)?
Yes, you will need proof of imminent travel for the limited validity passport app.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: HELP-CANNOT OBTAIN CERTIFICATE OF CITIZENSHIP

jimbo20000 said:
Thanks in advance for any assistance and direction. I am a 60-year old US citizen/Resident, and would like to retire in several years to Canada. My mother immigrated as an infant from Scotland to Canada in 1918, and became a Canadian Citizen (I think as a "landed immigrant"-her father was Canadian). She is deceased. I was born in 1955 in the US while she was still a Canadian citizen, but I do not have a copy of her certificate. I DO have other documents supporting her citizenship, (such as a 1950's era official letter from Canada Immigration acknowledging her lost Canadian passport, and records of her residence and business ownership in Canada from the 1940's and 1950's, as well as divorce papers from a Canadian court.) Although I forwarded notarized copies of all these documents to CIC, they did not accept them as adequate evidence. I first applied to CIC for MY certificate, and they requested my mother's proof of Canadian citizenship. I applied for HER proof of citizenship, and they did not find her in their records. So, I'm at an impasse.
How do I obtain assistance with a more comprehensive record search, or if that fails, use existent documents to prove her citizenship? Likewise, is it just time to give up on this dream and realize the technical issues cannot be overcome.
Thank you!
I answered this before in another thread, but you never said whether you tried any of the suggestions. No one can help you if you don't communicate.

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Yes, you will need proof of imminent travel for the limited validity passport app.
Hello, do u know how long it will take for the limited validity passport? So my baby will use this passport to broad the plane and enter into Canada right? After my baby is physically in Canada, do I need to do anything else? Or just wait for the certificate of citizenship?

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dko said:
Hello, do u know how long it will take for the limited validity passport? So my baby will use this passport to broad the plane and enter into Canada right? After my baby is physically in Canada, do I need to do anything else? Or just wait for the certificate of citizenship?

Thanks!
After the baby is in Canada, you wait for the certificate and then you can apply for a regular passport for your child.

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
Leon said:
After the baby is in Canada, you wait for the certificate and then you can apply for a regular passport for your child.
Hello Leon thanks for the reply!
So for question 7 on the CIT0001 form it's asking for home, work, cell number, home / mailing address, do I use my address in Canada or use my wife's address in China? (Note: I will be in China from oct to end of March)

Thx

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dko said:
Hello Leon thanks for the reply!
So for question 7 on the CIT0001 form it's asking for home, work, cell number, home / mailing address, do I use my address in Canada or use my wife's address in China? (Note: I will be in China from oct to end of March)

Thx
For a child that is overseas, you should apply through the visa office so I think it is better to give your wife's address in China. You can add a cover letter with your address in Canada and state where you are planning to be located at which time. If you bring your wife and child to Canada, you should update the visa office that you are no longer living in China.

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
Leon said:
For a child that is overseas, you should apply through the visa office so I think it is better to give your wife's address in China. You can add a cover letter with your address in Canada and state where you are planning to be located at which time. If you bring your wife and child to Canada, you should update the visa office that you are no longer living in China.
Ok thanks! Since I'm applying in person in China, what kind of docs or ID do I need to bring to the consulate?
So far I have: my CDN passport, my SIN card, my provincial driver's license, my original CDN citizenship card and certificate. Do I need to translate and notarize my chinese marriage cert(the little red marriage book)? Do I need to translate and notorize my newborn's birth cert from the hospital?

Thank you!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dko said:
Ok thanks! Since I'm applying in person in China, what kind of docs or ID do I need to bring to the consulate?
So far I have: my CDN passport, my SIN card, my provincial driver's license, my original CDN citizenship card and certificate. Do I need to translate and notarize my chinese marriage cert(the little red marriage book)? Do I need to translate and notorize my newborn's birth cert from the hospital?

Thank you!
Here you will find your instructions: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp and here is the application package: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp

By the application package, there is an instruction guide too and there is a document checklist included as a part of the application form.

Rochelle M

Oct 7, 2015
Leon said:
I don't know what you are trying to apply for but this thread is called "Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada" and a citizen would apply for proof of citizenship for their child.
My daughter and I live in the Philippines my daughter is Canadian and hold a Canadian passport she is now 4 yrs old and would now like to study in Canada, However she is only 4 and cannot travel or go by her self as i don't have a visa. If i apply for tourist visa i will be forced to leave while my daughter studies? Pls help on what visa should we apply thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rochelle M said:
My daughter and I live in the Philippines my daughter is Canadian and hold a Canadian passport she is now 4 yrs old and would now like to study in Canada, However she is only 4 and cannot travel or go by her self as i don't have a visa. If i apply for tourist visa i will be forced to leave while my daughter studies? Pls help on what visa should we apply thanks.
There is no special visa for parents of minor Canadian children and I have a hard time believing that your 4 year old child got the idea by herself that she wants to study in Canada.

If you apply for a tourist visa, you will only get 6 months. In order to stay longer than 6 months, you would have to apply to extend your visit visa. You would have to show you have funds for your stay. You would not be allowed to work. You would not gain any rights such as to apply for PR. Immigration could always refuse to extend your visa.

Another option would be to send your child to live with friends/relatives in Canada. She could go to school and you could visit her if you have a multiple entry visa.

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

Hello hoping to get some clarification:
1- so can I apply for my baby certificate of citizenship and limited validity CDN passport at the same time?
2- Where can I get the form for the limited validity CDN passport?
3- what if I don't have my air tickets booked to go back to Canada / don't know my travel date?
4- is the limited validity CDN passport only for baby under 2 years old?

Thank u very much!