+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

gustavoncb

Jul 29, 2015
Hi!

My sister lived in Canada for a year as an exchange student and started to date an indian guy who also had a Canadian citizenship.

She got pregnant and he simply vanished. We don't know where he is. We don't know even if he still lives in Canada.

The baby was born in Brazil. What should we do? Is it possible to sue him in Canada asking for a paternity test and child support?

Thanks in advance!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is possible to sue him in Canada for child support if he can be found. You may need to consult a lawyer to start with. The more info she has on the guy, old address, work place, full name, birthdate etc. the better.

gustavoncb said:
Hi!

My sister lived in Canada for a year as an exchange student and started to date an indian guy who also had a Canadian citizenship.

She got pregnant and he simply vanished. We don't know where he is. We don't know even if he still lives in Canada.

The baby was born in Brazil. What should we do? Is it possible to sue him in Canada asking for a paternity test and child support?

Thanks in advance!

Genkisensai

May 23, 2015
I'm a Canadian Citizen by birth, am living in Azerbaijan with my non-Canadian wife, and will be having a baby in January. The problem is Azerbaijan does not have a embassy or consulate. I will need to go to Ankara, Turkey, and I'm getting conflicting info from Embassy and passport office here in Canada. I was told by the passport office in Canada that I could apply for the certificate of citizenship and passport remotely, Embassy first said both parents and baby would have to apply in person, but I asked them how will the baby fly with no passport - the reply was that only one parent would have to show up in person. I've got all the info on documents, but I don't know time. Some info on this site and the web suggest the certificate could take upwards of 10 months, but we want to leave the end of next June, giving us only 6 months. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the certificate and passport? It's so much more difficult because Azerbaijan lacks an embassy. What are our options? I've read about this temporary passport the baby can get for 2 years, is this true? Could we use this to fly to Canada to obtain the babies certificate of citizenship and normal passport?

Thanks for the help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Genkisensai said:
I'm a Canadian Citizen by birth, am living in Azerbaijan with my non-Canadian wife, and will be having a baby in January. The problem is Azerbaijan does not have a embassy or consulate. I will need to go to Ankara, Turkey, and I'm getting conflicting info from Embassy and passport office here in Canada. I was told by the passport office in Canada that I could apply for the certificate of citizenship and passport remotely, Embassy first said both parents and baby would have to apply in person, but I asked them how will the baby fly with no passport - the reply was that only one parent would have to show up in person. I've got all the info on documents, but I don't know time. Some info on this site and the web suggest the certificate could take upwards of 10 months, but we want to leave the end of next June, giving us only 6 months. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the certificate and passport? It's so much more difficult because Azerbaijan lacks an embassy. What are our options? I've read about this temporary passport the baby can get for 2 years, is this true? Could we use this to fly to Canada to obtain the babies certificate of citizenship and normal passport?

Thanks for the help.
You would have to apply for the citizenship certificate before you can apply for the temporary passport or you can apply for both at the same time. You would have to show urgent need of travel and provide proof of travel such as having bought the tickets.

hendocaine

Aug 15, 2015
Just checking what the score is with my situation. My mother was born in canada and has a canadian birth cirtifcate but not a canadian passport. she is now a british citizen. i was born in scotland but would i be able to apply for citizenship off the back of her being born in canada.

any info greatly appreciated

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
hendocaine said:
Just checking what the score is with my situation. My mother was born in canada and has a canadian birth cirtifcate but not a canadian passport. she is now a british citizen. i was born in scotland but would i be able to apply for citizenship off the back of her being born in canada.

Please check the following link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/

hendocaine

Aug 15, 2015
I have read this however looking into it is very vague for my situation. ive looked at the changes to the rules for 2009 and 2015 and not sure which applies

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
hendocaine said:
I have read this however looking into it is very vague for my situation. ive looked at the changes to the rules for 2009 and 2015 and not sure which applies
You may contact the call centre at 1-888-242-2100 to get answers to your questions. Also, please wait for someone else in this forum to answer.

By the way, the link I have provided you covers all the basics, what is the confusion though?

retspag

Aug 17, 2015
My father was born in Canada and was a Canadian citizen, he moved to the US around 1976 as a minor and has lived in the US ever since.
I was born in 1989 in the US, and later after my birth my father became a US citizen.

Would I get Canadian citizenship from that?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
retspag said:
My father was born in Canada and was a Canadian citizen, he moved to the US around 1976 as a minor and has lived in the US ever since.
I was born in 1989 in the US, and later after my birth my father became a US citizen.

Please check the following link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hendocaine said:

Yes, basically anyone with a Canadian-born parent is a Canadian citizen. Really, the only exceptions would be if 1) your mother renounced her Canadian citizenship to Canadian authorities (very rare), or 2) your mother's parents were non-Canadians working for a foreign embassy or consulate when your mother was born.

All you have to do is apply for proof of Canadian citizenship, after which you can get a Canadian passport.

Look here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
retspag said:

Yes, basically anyone with a Canadian-born parent is a Canadian citizen. Really, the only exceptions would be if 1) your father renounced his Canadian citizenship to Canadian authorities (very rare), or 2) your father's parents were non-Canadians working for a foreign embassy or consulate when your mother was born.

All you have to do is apply for proof of Canadian citizenship, after which you can get a Canadian passport.

Look here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

jimbo20000

Aug 24, 2015
HELP-CANNOT OBTAIN CERTIFICATE OF CITIZENSHIP

Thanks in advance for any assistance and direction. I am a 60-year old US citizen/Resident, and would like to retire in several years to Canada. My mother immigrated as an infant from Scotland to Canada in 1918, and became a Canadian Citizen (I think as a "landed immigrant"-her father was Canadian). She is deceased. I was born in 1955 in the US while she was still a Canadian citizen, but I do not have a copy of her certificate. I DO have other documents supporting her citizenship, (such as a 1950's era official letter from Canada Immigration acknowledging her lost Canadian passport, and records of her residence and business ownership in Canada from the 1940's and 1950's, as well as divorce papers from a Canadian court.) Although I forwarded notarized copies of all these documents to CIC, they did not accept them as adequate evidence. I first applied to CIC for MY certificate, and they requested my mother's proof of Canadian citizenship. I applied for HER proof of citizenship, and they did not find her in their records. So, I'm at an impasse.
How do I obtain assistance with a more comprehensive record search, or if that fails, use existent documents to prove her citizenship? Likewise, is it just time to give up on this dream and realize the technical issues cannot be overcome.
Thank you!

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
robin 107 said:
hi - im a naturalized canadian , i was married outside canada and had a child born outside canada as well, my question is i want them both in canada - should i directly sponsor them or should i apply for my childs citizenship certificate 1st then sponsor my wife-- please help!! thanz
According to this page http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/ your child should already be Canadian (if it was born after April 2009 and after you became Canadian):

"you were born outside Canada after April 17, 2009, and at least one of your parents was naturalized in Canada before your birth"

Your wife, however, is not.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Re: HELP-CANNOT OBTAIN CERTIFICATE OF CITIZENSHIP

jimbo20000 said:
I DO have other documents supporting her citizenship
How do I obtain assistance with a more comprehensive record search, or if that fails, use existent documents to prove her citizenship? Likewise, is it just time to give up on this dream and realize the technical issues cannot be overcome.
Thank you!
The documents that you have will never be accepted by CIC. There is a set list of what they accept and they cannot deviate from that for individual cases.

My only suggestion would be to write to the Minister directly regarding the lack of record of her citizenship.