canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
luigi60 said:
I have a question, maybe somebody can help me. I obtain my Canadian citizenship in 2015. I have a son who is living abroad and he is 15 year old. Can he become a Canadian citizen? If yes, does he need the language requirement? I have read everything from the CIC webpage but it is not clear for me if I can apply or not for him to obtain the citizenship. Or I should apply subsequently for Permanent Resident Status for him.
Hi

No, you cannot apply for citizenship for him. You must first sponsor him for PR. Once he is a PR, you can apply for his citizenship. Yes, he needs to meet the language requirement.

JMilne

Jun 28, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2016
Doc's Request.
18-10-2016
AOR Received.
19-08-2016
File Transfer...
30-08-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-07-2016
Interview........
Not requested
VISA ISSUED...
08-12-2016
Hello,

My husband and I have recently applied for our two son's certificates, we live in Melbourne, Australia so have sent our forms to the high consulate in Canberra as requested. How long does it take to receive a response from Canada that the application has arrived and is commencing processing? Should we hear anything from our high commission here in Canberra too?

khana26

Star Member
Apr 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
Doc's Request.
02-03-2017, Sent: 05-04-2017; 04-19-2017, Sent: 04-19-2017
AOR Received.
14-12-2016
Med's Done....
29-10-2016
Hello,
We are planning to apply for our son's citizenship in the local Canadian High Commission. We are noticing that, two pieces identification are required to apply. One can be my son's local passport that he has received recently, and it contains his photograph. He also has his birth certificate issued by the local authority. However, there is no health card issued in this country, or any other identification document. Could anyone please give us an idea, what else can be the second piece of ID?
Regards

JMilne

Jun 28, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2016
Doc's Request.
18-10-2016
AOR Received.
19-08-2016
File Transfer...
30-08-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-07-2016
Interview........
Not requested
VISA ISSUED...
08-12-2016
khana26 said:
Hello,
We are planning to apply for our son's citizenship in the local Canadian High Commission. We are noticing that, two pieces identification are required to apply. One can be my son's local passport that he has received recently, and it contains his photograph. He also has his birth certificate issued by the local authority. However, there is no health card issued in this country, or any other identification document. Could anyone please give us an idea, what else can be the second piece of ID?
Regards
It's asking for the Canadian Citizen Parent's ID. Not the childs. Hope this helps.

chaulklet

Aug 18, 2016
Would I be considered an Canadian Citizen if my mom is a naturalized Canadian citizen when she had us? Only 1 parent is Canadian citizen. We are all born in the states (california) and if it helps I was born in 93. I tried taking the assessment and it says you are most likely but I want to make sure before I start to applying for a Canadian citizenship certificate so I can apply for a passport afterwards.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
chaulklet said:
Would I be considered an Canadian Citizen if my mom is a naturalized Canadian citizen when she had us? Only 1 parent is Canadian citizen. We are all born in the states (california) and if it helps I was born in 93. I tried taking the assessment and it says you are most likely but I want to make sure before I start to applying for a Canadian citizenship certificate so I can apply for a passport afterwards.
You are Canadian by descent through your naturalized Canadian mother. Just be aware that you, as a Canadian by descent, cannot pass on Canadian citizenship to your children.

chaulklet

Aug 18, 2016
screech339 said:
You are Canadian by descent through your naturalized Canadian mother. Just be aware that you, as a Canadian by descent, cannot pass on Canadian citizenship to your children.
So from this point I will have to apply for Proof of Citizenship correct? I was looking at the form and only thing I really have a question on is that for the certificate number back then they weren't issues letter size certificates like now. Instead my mom has a certificate of Canadian citizenship card. Do I use the document number from that as the Cert #?

Also looking at the document checklist, how would I know what scenario applies to me? I know I have to of course include the application, 2 citizenship photo, 2 identification photo being passport and my driver's license, but additional docs i'm not sure. Will I get all the certified copies back once it's all said and done?

Thank you for your help in answering my first question!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
chaulklet said:
So from this point I will have to apply for Proof of Citizenship correct? I was looking at the form and only thing I really have a question on is that for the certificate number back then they weren't issues letter size certificates like now. Instead my mom has a certificate of Canadian citizenship card. Do I use the document number from that as the Cert #?

Also looking at the document checklist, how would I know what scenario applies to me? I know I have to of course include the application, 2 citizenship photo, 2 identification photo being passport and my driver's license, but additional docs i'm not sure. Will I get all the certified copies back once it's all said and done?

Thank you for your help in answering my first question!
Yes. You use your mother's document number on her citizenship certificate card.

You will not get any copies back. In fact I think they ask for photocopies of documents. There is nothing wrong with certified copies, but you still won't get them back.

chaulklet

Aug 18, 2016
screech339 said:
Yes. You use your mother's document number on her citizenship certificate card.

You will not get any copies back. In fact I think they ask for photocopies of documents. There is nothing wrong with certified copies, but you still won't get them back.
That sounds good I'll use that number listed below on the card as a certificate number.

They do in fact ask for copies of most of the items required in the document checklist which I have no issues providing. Only question I have is the "Additional Document" section where I think I have to choose a scenario that applies to me and my best bet would be scenario 3? Or should I go with just the basics requirement listed on the checklist? I'm thinking no scenario but I could be wrong. I tried attaching the pdf but it wouldn't allow me to post links yet.. :/ That's my last major roadblock for me is the checklist.

I just want to make sure everything is filled out properly so I can provide everything needed so there's no issues.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
chaulklet said:
That sounds good I'll use that number listed below on the card as a certificate number.

They do in fact ask for copies of most of the items required in the document checklist which I have no issues providing. Only question I have is the "Additional Document" section where I think I have to choose a scenario that applies to me and my best bet would be scenario 3? Or should I go with just the basics requirement listed on the checklist? I'm thinking no scenario but I could be wrong. I tried attaching the pdf but it wouldn't allow me to post links yet.. :/ That's my last major roadblock for me is the checklist.

I just want to make sure everything is filled out properly so I can provide everything needed so there's no issues.
The main documents you need to provide are your birth certificate with your mother's name on it and your mother's canadian citizenship card. The rest are for identity purposes.

chaulklet

Aug 18, 2016
screech339 said:
The main documents you need to provide are your birth certificate with your mother's name on it and your mother's canadian citizenship card. The rest are for identity purposes.
Gotcha, I can easily get a certified copy of my birth certificate since I already have one I can send in that one and request another copy locally since they are going to keep the one that gets mailed in. Only one that will be hard is to get a certified copy of my mom's citizenship card in california... apparently california is different with their rules and stuff like that.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
chaulklet said:
Gotcha, I can easily get a certified copy of my birth certificate since I already have one I can send in that one and request another copy locally since they are going to keep the one that gets mailed in. Only one that will be hard is to get a certified copy of my mom's citizenship card in california... apparently california is different with their rules and stuff like that.
Just send in a photocopy of your mother's citizenship card, both front and back. You don't need to certify the copy if it is difficult to make a certified copy of your mother's citizenship card. CIC can verify your mother's citizenship with the information on the photocopy.

chaulklet

Aug 18, 2016
screech339 said:
Just send in a photocopy of your mother's citizenship card, both front and back. You don't need to certify the copy if it is difficult to make a certified copy of your mother's citizenship card. CIC can verify your mother's citizenship with the information on the photocopy.
Yeah we'll see if I can get away with using regular copies instead of a certified copy. I should play it safe and send in a certified copy of my birth certificate. Hopefully they don't send the application back.. Thanks for everything!

asif89

Dec 15, 2015
Hi
I need help. I have applied for my daughters proof of citizenship from Bangladesh. she is 2 months old can I apply for a temporary passport for my daughter ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
asif89 said:
Hi
I need help. I have applied for my daughters proof of citizenship from Bangladesh. she is 2 months old can I apply for a temporary passport for my daughter ?
Hi

Yes, you can apply for a limited validity passport.