spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Leon said:
Minor children do not have to meet residency requirements for citizenship so the parents can apply for PR for the child and then apply for grant of citizenship right away. However, that does not mean that a PR can apply for citizenship for their minor PR children because a parent can only apply for citizenship for a child if the parent is either a Canadian citizen already or is eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship and is applying himself at the same time.
True, of course. Thanks for correcting my error!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
alphazip said:
Minor tweek:

A Canadian born abroad to Canadian parents cannot pass their citizenship on to their children WHO ARE ALSO BORN ABROAD.
Those parents cannot pass on their citizenship regardless. If they have children born in Canada, those children are Canadian by jus soli, not jus sanguinis.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
alphazip said:
Minor tweek:

A Canadian born abroad to Canadian parents cannot pass their citizenship on to their children WHO ARE ALSO BORN ABROAD.
Canuck is correct. Canadians born abroad to Canadian parents cannot pass on their citizenship at all. No matter where in the world they are including Canada. You seem to imply that they can only pass their citizenship if their children are born in Canada. That is not the case. They are not passing on their citizenship if their children are born in Canada. These children are getting Canadian citizenship because of jus soli, not because their parents' citizenship.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Those parents cannot pass on their citizenship regardless. If they have children born in Canada, those children are Canadian by jus soli, not jus sanguinis.
That is true. The purpose of my tweek was so that the impression wasn't given that the child of a foreign-born Canadian would never be a Canadian citizen at birth. Such a child would, of course, be a citizen by being born in Canada. I understand that you may think that that point is so obvious as to go without saying, but there are queries on here all the time by people who don't understand the concept of jus soli. In fact, even U.S. Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz, a Harvard-educated lawyer, said he didn't realize that being born in Canada made him a Canadian citizen!

zeebo1

Apr 20, 2016
I have a few questions about supporting documents that I couldn't find the answer to in this thread (or the cic website)

I'm applying for citizenship certificate for child born in US to naturalized Canadian parents.

1) Is it necessary for both parents to be on the application? Does it help with the application success rate?

2) Is Canadian passport and US driver license enough ID for parents?

3) Two pieces of ID: My daughter only has a birth certificate. I've applied for her US passport. Can I use a US health insurance card as her second piece? She also has a social security number, but I've read that is not an identification document.

4) Certified copies: Can any notary person in US certify copies of our Canadian passports and citizenship cards?

5) Do we need to send all pages of the passport?

Thanks. I wish the cic was more clear about the instructions.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
zeebo1 said:
I have a few questions about supporting documents that I couldn't find the answer to in this thread (or the cic website)

I'm applying for citizenship certificate for child born in US to naturalized Canadian parents.

1) Is it necessary for both parents to be on the application? Does it help with the application success rate?

2) Is Canadian passport and US driver license enough ID for parents?

3) Two pieces of ID: My daughter only has a birth certificate. I've applied for her US passport. Can I use a US health insurance card as her second piece? She also has a social security number, but I've read that is not an identification document.

4) Certified copies: Can any notary person in US certify copies of our Canadian passports and citizenship cards?

5) Do we need to send all pages of the passport?

Thanks. I wish the cic was more clear about the instructions.
1) No. Only one Canadian parent is required to complete the application.

2) You need to provide two form of IDs to identify yourself. Passport / US driver license are fine for parent's ID purposes only.

3) She need to provide two IDs one of which must have a photo ID. (We used our daughter's US passport / US birth certificate and Social Security Card).
I was requested to submit my daughter's Social Security Card. Social Security Card is a form of identity card despite no photo since US can track it on their system.

4) Yes. Any US Notary can certify your documents.

5) For Canadian Passport, just the front photo ID page will do. CIC can verify your ID through Passport Number.
If you are using your daughter's US passport, you must show front Photo ID page and page 27. You will notice on front page of US passport ID, it will say "see page 27".

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
4) Yes. Any US Notary can certify your documents.
Actually, not all U.S. notaries can certify that documents are "true copies." For example, from the Michigan Secretary of State website (http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1638_8734_8790-23191--,00.html): "A Michigan notary public cannot make a "true copy" statement on copies of any records."

A Michigan notary can notarize YOUR statement that the document is a true copy, but that is not the same as an official stating that it is a true copy.

Do a Google search on: notary public "true copy" California (or whatever state you're in) to find out if a notary can certify your documents. (California, by the way, has the same rule as Michigan.)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
zeebo1 said:
alphazip,

Interesting. Could I use a notary in BC or Ontario when I visit there?
Yes you can.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zeebo1 said:
alphazip,

Interesting. Could I use a notary in BC or Ontario when I visit there?
Notaries here (in Ontario, at least) are usually lawyers and charge quite a bit to notarize documents. It's not like in the U.S., where notaries can be found on nearly every street corner. If you can find a commissioner of oaths (most city halls have them), they usually charge less (or possibly nothing).

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Some UPS offices offer notary service as well. Dont know how much they charge though.

rsk8

Nov 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2015
AOR Received.
09-12-2015
File Transfer...
29-12-2015 (in process)
Med's Request
gawd, thx none!
Med's Done....
31-08-2015 (upfront)
Interview........
none!
Passport Req..
30-06-2016 & submitted 01-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
23-08-2016
alphazip said:
Notaries here (in Ontario, at least) are usually lawyers and charge quite a bit to notarize documents. It's not like in the U.S., where notaries can be found on nearly every street corner. If you can find a commissioner of oaths (most city halls have them), they usually charge less (or possibly nothing).
yepp! 30 bucks here in downtown toronto for one doc; every additional page is a 15$ on top of that. this is just one location i asked about so idk if it goes any cheaper or anythin...

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
In March 29, 2016 I applied for my son (Born in US) canadian proof of citizenship, case got updated April 15, 2016 decision made, april 29, 2016 citizenship certificate mailed to my home address, status completed. It was fast.

Divinity

Star Member
Jun 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-04-2015
Doc's Request.
08-09-2015
AOR Received.
05-06-2015
File Transfer...
15-06-2015
Med's Done....
19-10-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Soon
Hello, My husband is a Canadian citizen we have a daughter here in Jamaica. He applied for citizenship certificate July 2015 and submitted it in Canada. We got acknowledgement letter August 2015 and we have not heard anything since. How can we get some info on our daughter's application BC I'm getting worried now. I have to land in Canada by September and I can't leave my 1yr old daughter?