AOR Received.
18 Mar 2015, SA received 02 April 2015
Med's Done....
06 Nov 2014
Passport Req..
5 Oct 2015
VISA ISSUED...
15 Oct 2015
Can anyone tell me how strict CIC are with the photo requirements for newborns for citizenship? We managed to finally get one decent picture of our 3 week old at the photographer after about 30 minutes but her shoulders are not straight. Eyes are open and everything else looks ok.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
casper32 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Well I now have some more information which is slightly different to what I had before,
1. My grandad's last passport was British not Canadian
2. he moved from Canada to northern Ireland in 1935 and lived there until meeting and marrying my grandma
3. he never denounced his citizenship or as my aunty has said kept it up.

Would this now mean that he was not indeed a Canadian citizen at all as he lived outside Canada for 32 years before 1967 as the 1977 act says or am I reading this wrong

Thanks
Before 1947, Canadians were simply British subjects, the same as everyone else in "the Empire." So, your grandfather could have easily moved to Northern Ireland in 1935 without a change in citizenship. He would have become a Canadian citizen in 1947, because he was born in Canada and had not become an "alien" (i.e. non-British). Your grandfather's children would have become Canadian citizens as of April 17, 2009.

B. Virtanen

Jan 4, 2016
For us it took about 4 months to get the certificate.

- Application sent to Canadian embassy in Finland August 2015
- cost 60€
- Certificate received by mail December 2015

Some background info:
- Mom is Canadian (born in Canada)
- Baby was born in Norway 2014 (where we were living at the time)
- Father is Finnish (born in Finland). Do not have Canadian citizenship.
- Application was sent to Canadian embassy in Finland, where we are living at the moment
- Baby have also Finnish citizenship
- No any additional information was asked by Canadian authorities. The application was accepted at once

Richard Love

Jan 21, 2016
Hi there,

My mum holds a canadian passport as she was born in Hamilton, OT, in 1955. She doesn't have a citizenship card, but does have her birth certificate. She is a British citizen and resides in the UK.

I want to apply for my Canadian citizenship, and I have the correct form (CIT 0001) to apply, but where the form asks for my mother's Canadian Certificate number, will I be able to put on her Birth certificate number or passport number, or will it get rejected?

Therefore, does my mother have to apply for her citizenship number before I can apply for mine? Or can I just use her Birth certificate as the evidence?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Richard Love said:
Hi there,

My mum holds a canadian passport as she was born in Hamilton, OT, in 1955. She doesn't have a citizenship card, but does have her birth certificate. She is a British citizen and resides in the UK.

I want to apply for my Canadian citizenship, and I have the correct form (CIT 0001) to apply, but where the form asks for my mother's Canadian Certificate number, will I be able to put on her Birth certificate number or passport number, or will it get rejected?

Therefore, does my mother have to apply for her citizenship number before I can apply for mine? Or can I just use her Birth certificate as the evidence?
Birth certificate is all you need for your mother's proof of citizenship. You need to submit her original birth certificate with the application. You use the birth registration number in the Canadian citizenship no box.

mstew28

Mar 14, 2016
Hi all - really confused about something while applying for a certificate for my daughter, born here in the States to my wife and I who are both Canadians born in Canada.

Section 8 is just confusing. Do I just ignore it? Do I fill out NO? It doesn't make sense because we weren't born outside of Canada. The entire section does not seem to apply to us, but there is no option to just skip by it?? This is the section with all the info on grandparents of the child.

Thanks - Mark

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mstew28 said:
Hi all - really confused about something while applying for a certificate for my daughter, born here in the States to my wife and I who are both Canadians born in Canada.

Section 8 is just confusing. Do I just ignore it? Do I fill out NO? It doesn't make sense because we weren't born outside of Canada. The entire section does not seem to apply to us, but there is no option to just skip by it?? This is the section with all the info on grandparents of the child.

Thanks - Mark
Do not ignore it. Fill out every section. If something doesn't apply, write "N/A." If you can't type in what you want to say, write it in with a pen after printing out the form.

rsk8

Nov 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2015
AOR Received.
09-12-2015
File Transfer...
29-12-2015 (in process)
Med's Request
gawd, thx none!
Med's Done....
31-08-2015 (upfront)
Interview........
none!
Passport Req..
30-06-2016 & submitted 01-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
23-08-2016
didnt go thru the whole forum idk this must have been already answered but just wondering...

so, will ur kid be canadian regardless of where they're born as long as one of the parents' a canadian citizen?
looking at some of the comments in the forum here comes my main question tho: does the kid's canadianship depend on whether its a canadian mom vs canadian dad (& kid's born outside canada)

^*think: not havin to file a citizenship app etc*
& let's say we're talking about a born canadian parent to keep things simple.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
rsk8 said:
didnt go thru the whole forum idk this must have been already answered but just wondering...

so, will ur kid be canadian regardless of where they're born as long as one of the parents' a canadian citizen?
looking at some of the comments in the forum here comes my main question tho: does the kid's canadianship depend on whether its a canadian mom vs canadian dad (& kid's born outside canada)

^*think: not havin to file a citizenship app etc*
& let's say we're talking about a born canadian parent to keep things simple.
"Born Canadian" has a few meanings.

A Canadian born IN CANADA can pass on their citizenship to their children, regardless of where those children are born.

A Canadian born abroad to Canadian parents cannot pass their citizenship on to their children.

The gender of the Canadian parent doesn't matter.

rsk8

Nov 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2015
AOR Received.
09-12-2015
File Transfer...
29-12-2015 (in process)
Med's Request
gawd, thx none!
Med's Done....
31-08-2015 (upfront)
Interview........
none!
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
23-08-2016
canuck_in_uk said:
A Canadian born IN CANADA can pass on their citizenship to their children, regardless of where those children are born.
A Canadian born abroad to Canadian parents cannot pass their citizenship on to their children.
wow thanks for the info. :)

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
"Born Canadian" has a few meanings.

The gender of the Canadian parent doesn't matter.
Minor tweek:

A Canadian born abroad to Canadian parents cannot pass their citizenship on to their children WHO ARE ALSO BORN ABROAD.

rsk8

Nov 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2015
AOR Received.
09-12-2015
File Transfer...
29-12-2015 (in process)
Med's Request
gawd, thx none!
Med's Done....
31-08-2015 (upfront)
Interview........
none!
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
23-08-2016
alphazip said:
Minor tweek:

A Canadian born abroad to Canadian parents cannot pass their citizenship on to their children WHO ARE ALSO BORN ABROAD.
glad im learning new stuff today. interesting!!! :)
quick question: so "a Canadian born abroad to Canadian parents" would have to file a citizenship app for their kids in order for them to be canadian?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
rsk8 said:
quick question: so "a Canadian born abroad to Canadian parents" would have to file a citizenship app for their kids in order for them to be canadian?
They would first have to apply for PR for their kid. Then, after the appropriate years of residence, they could apply for citizenship for their child.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rsk8 said:
Yes, if the other parent is either not a Canadian citizen or is also "a Canadian born abroad to Canadian parents" (1st generation born abroad), their child is seen as 2nd generation born abroad and is not eligible for citizenship but must be sponsored for PR.

spyfy said:
They would first have to apply for PR for their kid. Then, after the appropriate years of residence, they could apply for citizenship for their child.
Minor children do not have to meet residency requirements for citizenship so the parents can apply for PR for the child and then apply for grant of citizenship right away. However, that does not mean that a PR can apply for citizenship for their minor PR children because a parent can only apply for citizenship for a child if the parent is either a Canadian citizen already or is eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship and is applying himself at the same time.