+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Check my SOP cz my study permit application got refused due purpose of visit

Farwa Ali

Oct 26, 2019
Subject: STATEMENT OF PURPOSE FOR STUDENT VISA APPLICATION.
DATE:08/09/2019
I, Farwa Ali, am writing to apply for student visa for post-secondary education at the UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA, CANADA.
My educational history is as follows;
HSSC with Grade A from FG GIRLS INTER COLLEGE NARRIAN ABBOTTABAD.
SSC with Grade A from FG BARKI GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL ABBOTTABAD.
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE CERTIFICATES in HSSC and SSC .
I have been admitted to the bachelor’s program in NATIVE STUDIES for January 2020. I spent all my school years studying hard in our public school system which has paid off in me landing admission to a top ranking university like the University of Alberta. My results were in the mid 70's range, which is nearly impossible to obtain, but I did it. The University of Alberta has high admission requirements and I made it.
I am really intrigued to study and explore this program. Pakistan is facing issues related to women empowerment, gender studies, human geography and community, including marginalized religious and ethic groups. I hope to deepen my knowledge and seek the historical and contemporary experiences of indigenous people and communities as well, understand relations among countries such as Pakistan and Canada. I believe studying a Native Studies program in Canada can let me explore the diversity and versatility of this field as many liberal arts courses can be incorporated into my program that will broaden my knowledge.
Although Pakistan is offering several jobs in field work for social science graduates, it requires effective skills, technical capabilities, analytical approach and social interaction ability. Canada being a world class education centre provides international students an interactive atmosphere to develop their skills for prospects in their home country
After gathering information from my peers and Canadian websites, I’m convinced that for my professional career in Pakistan I must have a Canadian educational background.
My aspiration is to acquire a bachelor's degree in Native studies from the University of Alberta. After completion of study I would be a sought-after candidate in job hunts in law firms, law consultancies, teaching associations, NGO’s that work with marginalised people such as women (especially so in Pakistan), nomadic groups and religious minorities. I believe I can tailor my strengths, as studying at a top-ranking university like the University of Alberta I will get the academic knowledge I need plus practical experience taught through internship components as part of my degree. These invaluable things I cannot get in Pakistani institutions. During my studies I shall accompany my professors in research projects, take a membership in students union and other community volunteer opportunities to gain a holistic approach to bringing about positive changes in the community. After my studies I aim to work with nongovernment organizations in my country Pakistan.
I also have investigated the institutes in my home country. There are some universities which offer Bachelor programs in social sciences and ethnic diversity issues; such as Lahore University, Iqra University and a few more. After deep research and collecting information from my seniors, I see that the educational institutes here are facing numerous challenging such as inadequate funding, inefficient teaching staff, bad governance of education system. Pakistani economy has recently faced setbacks due to which the higher education institutions are lacking in standards compared to the exceptional higher education in Canada with well trained teachers, research options, state of the art settings and opportunities for students interact with different cultures and communities.
Studying in Canada in my chosen field enhances my employment in Pakistan. I believe I can better understand the prospects values and complexity of indigenous study. There are firms in Pakistan that hire social science graduates. I can therefore pursue a career in NGO management, journalism, planning and development or even start a social enterprise afterwards. I would be practically able to coordinate with associations for common issues in Pakistan. I shall have gained effective skills to engage in field work. I may get internships in social organizations or companies. All this requires is initial development and experience which I shall acquire in Canada.
After my Bachelor degree I will return to Pakistan for my future career. Compared to the competitive job market in Canada, the Pakistani market for highly trained social science graduates in my field of study is only an emerging market. Therefore, I need to be better than most to propose and implement positive changes in my country. My family (parents, grandparents, siblings and all relatives) lives in Pakistan and I cannot think of living alone in Canada after my studies. I have a very strong relationship with my Family and especially my grandmother who needs medical care for which I need to return as well. I aim and have planned long range career prospects in my beloved home country Pakistan.

Thanks for your time considering my study permit.

I hope to get a positive response.

Sincerely,
Farwa Ali

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Why native studies? Wouldn't a degree in women's studies, gender studies, political science, or something similar be more effective?

You've said it's to meant about marginalised populations, sure, but a degree in native studies is exceptionally specific to Canada and a visa officer would have a hard time seeing why learning about the Coast Salish peoples ceremonial practices would help you in a law firm in Pakistan.

Reactions: canuck78

Farwa Ali

Oct 26, 2019
But my subjects in Native studies are :
Women and gender studies
Human geography
English etc etc
So they are surely good for future career prospects in my home country.
Now how should i satisfy him about this

Farwa Ali

Oct 26, 2019
Why native studies? Wouldn't a degree in women's studies, gender studies, political science, or something similar be more effective?

You've said it's to meant about marginalised populations, sure, but a degree in native studies is exceptionally specific to Canada and a visa officer would have a hard time seeing why learning about the Coast Salish peoples ceremonial practices would help you in a law firm in Pakistan.
Now i am really confused . If i explain about my course subjects and jobs available in my home country. Will it work?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your choice of Native studies is not really applicable to a desire to work in law firms or NGOs in Pakistan. A degree in international development would be much more appropriate. It is the degree that is most likely held by NGO employees these days. Very unusual to have an international student with no connection to the North American aboriginal population studying Native studies. A large majority of the students in the program will be part aboriginal. Did you select this program on your own or did someone recommend it?

Reactions: k.h.p.

Farwa Ali

Oct 26, 2019
Your choice of Native studies is not really applicable to a desire to work in law firms or NGOs in Pakistan. A degree in international development would be much more appropriate. It is the degree that is most likely held by NGO employees these days. Very unusual to have an international student with no connection to the North American aboriginal population studying Native studies. A large majority of the students in the program will be part aboriginal. Did you select this program on your own or did someone recommend it?
I myself selected this program cz the courses in it are in demand now a days in Pakistan.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It may help.

But in this program you're going to be expected to take classes about indigenous people in Canada and write most of your assignments about them. It's incredibly important education for Canada, but I'm struggling (as will a visa officer) to see how the Indigenous focus is going to help you in Pakistan.

To use perhaps a more local example: this would be like taking a degree in Sikh people and religion. Sure there will be courses of broader analytical content, but how would a degree in Sikh studies help you in Pakistan?

Farwa Ali

Oct 26, 2019
It may help.

But in this program you're going to be expected to take classes about indigenous people in Canada and write most of your assignments about them. It's incredibly important education for Canada, but I'm struggling (as will a visa officer) to see how the Indigenous focus is going to help you in Pakistan.

To use perhaps a more local example: this would be like taking a degree in Sikh people and religion. Sure there will be courses of broader analytical content, but how would a degree in Sikh studies help you in Pakistan?
There are sikh communities in Pakistan especially in sindh. As working with NGOs who focus on these communities we can do much with this degree.
Like in Pakistan Bakarwal Gujars are considered as minority so i guess this degree will help me to help them.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Okay, so what would you say about a degree in studying the Koreans in the Far Eastern province of Russia or Kazakhstan?

Farwa Ali

Oct 26, 2019
Btw can i write that i will transfer to BA Sociology after completing my first year in Native studies cz this option is available at U of A.