+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing status from Visitor to Temporary Foreign Worker - easy or difficult?

mamainak

Jul 17, 2009
Hello everyone,

I have couple of questions.

I've read on CIC website that it's ok to come to Canada as a visitor and apply from within for a work permit (changing the status), did I get it right?

I want to apply for a TFW visa and am wondering is it better to do it from where I am now (UK, but I'm
not a UK citizen) or to come to Canada as a tourist and look for a job and then apply for one?

I don't like the idea going to Canada without a job (I will have a place to stay and funds) but it's hard
for me to imagine someone would be willing to employ someone from overseas and wait for them to be able to come (i.e.to get visa)...it's seems like it's too much hassle for them.
I mean, if I was a highly skilled professional with wanted skills or experience I know many employers
would be willing to wait and pay the fees and even plane ticket.

What do you think? How easy/hard it is to find an employer who is willing to do that?

But on the other hand, if I come to Canada and manage to go for an interview face-to-face, I might make an impression and employer is willing to apply for me and wait for the LMO/visa to be approved...

Also, once I apply for a permit do I have to leave the country? Btw, I'd enter Canada in Vancouver.

Thank you in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would say it's probably relatively difficult right now.

Meeting employers face to face is obviously far preferable. However the challenge you're going to face is that many/most employers aren't willing to consider foreign candidates for open positions. As you've indicated, obtaining an approved LMO takes time and paperwork. As part of the process, the employer must also prove that they advertised the job and were unable to find a Canadian citizen or PR to fill the role. And even if they do this, there's still no guarantee the LMO will be approved. Simply put, many employers don't do LMOs because it's too much time, too much paperwork and there's no guarantee of approval (more LMOs are being refused this year than last year and employers are well aware of this fact).

Long story short, it's relatively difficult. Many employers won't even want to meet with you. However you can certainly try! Good luck.