+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing DLI from inside of Canada

Arriicasdf

May 31, 2021
Assuming that I am currently in Canada, and I want to change my DLI. Do I need to be enrolled at the university which I used its letter of acceptance for getting the visa (Lakehead in my case) at the time of changing DLI, or it is only enough to be enrolled and actively studying in any designated learning institution (the University of Victoria in my case) to be able to change my DLI? since the rule says "you must be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)" and does not specified it.

Last edited:

Arriicasdf

May 31, 2021
So you got your SP approved for Lakehead but you didn't go there, instead you went to uVic? Did you then change your DLI? When did this happen?
It has not happened yet, but I might want to do that exactly the way you just said. After I get my SP approved for Lakehead, I will not go there, instead I will go to UVic; here is when I want to change my DLI.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

It has not happened yet, but I might want to do that exactly the way you just said. After I get my SP approved for Lakehead, I will not go there, instead I will go to UVic; here is when I want to change my DLI.
1. Read the second line in your original, post "actively studying" if you don't attend Lakehead before you switch schools you will have a problem.

Reactions: captainarabiia

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
According to new IRCC rules, you will be violating the conditions of your permit if you do that. Reapply for your SP to change your DLI or attend Lakehead for a while (can't tell you how long is acceptable) then switch over.

Reactions: captainarabiia

Aesopzai

Nov 22, 2014
Assuming that I am currently in Canada, and I want to change my DLI. Do I need to be enrolled at the university which I used its letter of acceptance for getting the visa (Lakehead in my case) at the time of changing DLI, or it is only enough to be enrolled and actively studying in any designated learning institution (the University of Victoria in my case) to be able to change my DLI? since the rule says "you must be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)" and does not specified it.
I think you can change your university within 2 weeks of studying in the first uni which granted u SP. U can then also claim ur full fee refund too. But b4 2 weeks have passed. After that they may not refund ur fee. Anyways confirm it from other senior members too.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think you can change your university within 2 weeks of studying in the first uni which granted u SP. U can then also claim ur full fee refund too. But b4 2 weeks have passed. After that they may not refund ur fee. Anyways confirm it from other senior members too.
We do not have evidence of this.

At this time there is no clear understanding of what IRCC defines as "actively studying".

Do you have a reference from the IRCC web site or an IRCC tweet that confirms what you've said?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Unless you share the link, there is not clarity on how long you can be considered as “actively” studying to change the DLI. In absence to that, in my opinion it is one semester… why? if you have gap of 150days and +, you no longer actively FT student. To be safe, one semester and long ( I can be wrong too )

If that is not doable, then apply for new Study permit with the new

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
If you do according to what you're saying, when you land in Canada, and the CBSA officers asks you what school, are you gonna say Lakehead or Uvic?

You need to get a new SP, just apply again. IRCC has changed rules on changing DLI's before coming to Canada.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
If your SP hasn't been approved yet, send your new LOA.

Coz once your SP gets approved it gets complicated;

Changing your DLI if you’re outside Canada
If you change your DLI before coming to Canada and you don’t let us know, you won’t be allowed to board your flight.

If your application is still in progress
You can tell us you changed your DLI by submitting a new letter of acceptance using the IRCC web form.

If your application has been approved
If your application for a study permit has been approved and you change your DLI, you must submit a new study permit application with a new letter of acceptance.

Arriicasdf

May 31, 2021
If you do according to what you're saying, when you land in Canada, and the CBSA officers asks you what school, are you gonna say Lakehead or Uvic?

You need to get a new SP, just apply again. IRCC has changed rules on changing DLI's before coming to Canada.
I'm gonna say Lakehead.
I know that IRCC has changed rules on changing DLI's before coming to Canada, but what about changing DLI from inside Canada? Has IRCC changed the rules after you were landed too??

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I'm gonna say Lakehead.
I know that IRCC has changed rules on changing DLI's before coming to Canada, but what about changing DLI from inside Canada? Has IRCC changed the rules after you were landed too??
As explained to you above, you need to be actively studying inside canada to change your DLI without reapplying. It's quite clear and self-explanatory.

Arriicasdf

May 31, 2021
As explained to you above, you need to be actively studying inside canada to change your DLI without reapplying. It's quite clear and self-explanatory.
If I pay the tuition of UVic and begin to study there before changing my DLI, wouldn't I be considered as actively studying inside Canada?!