+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of status?

Iasfhn

Nov 12, 2015
Hi is it possible for me to visit Canada as a visitor and then while in there change my status to worker? if so what kind of documents would I need to enter Canada as a visitor? I'm from Czech Republic thank you very much for your response I appreciate it have a beautiful day Tom.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Iasfhn said:
Hi is it possible for me to visit Canada as a visitor and then while in there change my status to worker? if so what kind of documents would I need to enter Canada as a visitor? I'm from Czech Republic thank you very much for your response I appreciate it have a beautiful day Tom.
Hi Tom,

You cannot simply change from a visitor to a worker.

The only way to do that, would be for you to find an employer in Canada that would be willing to go through the LMIA process to hire you. Depending on your skill set, that may or may not be an option as it is costly to the employer.

Good luck!

Iasfhn

Nov 12, 2015
Hi thank you for such kind reply but I meant it like that I would be there as a visitor and meanwhile I'd find an employer that would hire me would it work that way? If yes please tell me what kind of documents do I have to fill up to get a visitor's visa. Thank you very much

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You don't need a visitor visa but you may need an eTA depending on when you are traveling. All of the information you're looking for is available here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/ If you don't want to read through it yourself, you can always hire an immigration consultant / lawyer.

If you are planning to come to Canada to look for a job, assume it will be at last 6-8 months (possibly longer) before you'll be working and bring enough money to support yourself for that period of time. To qualify to apply for a work permit, you'll need to find an employer who is willing to offer you a full time job and who is also willing to go through the LMIA process. Because the LMIA process is so long and expensive, most employers aren't interested in hiring foreign workers. So that is one challenge you will certainly face (assuming you haven't already secured a job offer and LMIA).

Iasfhn

Nov 12, 2015
Hello I want to go there this month so If I find an employer who is willing to offer me a full time job and who is also willing to go through the LMIA process I should be good? also I'd like to work in Canada just for like 2 months so that shouldn't be a problem as If I would wanna work there just like you said 6-8 months or more but If the job would be like that I could work behind a computer or travel around north america to attend seminars and talk to people I would keep it that's what I I'd love to do And how much are the fees? for the work permits.
Thank you very much for your answer

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Iasfhn said:
Hello I want to go there this month so If I find an employer who is willing to offer me a full time job and who is also willing to go through the LMIA process I should be good? also I'd like to work in Canada just for like 2 months so that shouldn't be a problem as If I would wanna work there just like you said 6-8 months or more but If the job would be like that I could work behind a computer or travel around north america to attend seminars and talk to people I would keep it that's what I I'd love to do And how much are the fees? for the work permits.
Thank you very much for your answer
You should assume it will take several months to find an employer (it's very possible you won't find an employer/job at all). If you do find an employer, that employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA. You should assume this process will take another 4-6 months to complete. You can't apply for a work permit until your employer has an approved LMIA. This is why I said that you need to be able to support yourself in Canada for 6-8 months without working.

You won't get a work permit for just two months. An LMIA won't be approved for a job that's just two months. You need to be looking for a job that's at least a year.

Iasfhn

Nov 12, 2015
Look If I could get the job I love I would gladly do it for the rest of my life, now I know that I might be able to get the LMIA for the job I like so that's really a good thing the only thing I need to know now is If I could be in Canada while waiting for the employer to fill out that LMIA document how long does it take please?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Iasfhn said:
Look If I could get the job I love I would gladly do it for the rest of my life, now I know that I might be able to get the LMIA for the job I like so that's really a good thing the only thing I need to know now is If I could be in Canada while waiting for the employer to fill out that LMIA document how long does it take please?
Typically you get admitted into Canada for 6 months as visitor. Before this 6 months are up you apply for an extension of your temporary status. Your extension reason would be 'waiting for LMIA' process. It could be approved or it could be denied. There could also be a risk of issues arising because you were not really a genuine visitor but were looking for work. You won't know till you apply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Iasfhn said:
Can I invest in something in Canada while under my visitor status?
It's not clear what you are asking. If you're asking about investing in a business - then yes, you can technically invest in a business while you are in Canada. However investing in a business won't allow you to work or stay in Canada. You will still be just a visitor and will have to leave Canada once your visit is over.

If you want to come to Canada through investment, you'll need to apply to immigrate (you would do this from outside of Canada). To qualify, you need to have anywhere from several $100,000 to several million dollars to invest in Canada.

Iasfhn

Nov 12, 2015
How come the LMIA document takes so long? somebody said 4-6months if the employer wants me and I want to work in his company how come it's not within weeks ?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Iasfhn said:
How come the LMIA document takes so long? somebody said 4-6months if the employer wants me and I want to work in his company how come it's not within weeks ?
1. Because it is ESDC's job to ensure that jobs go to qualified PRs and Citizens first.

Iasfhn

Nov 12, 2015
ok but while I'd be waiting could I start working? also what if the company I'd work for would choose it's own employees than they can't tell if PRs or citizens would want it because the employers would choose me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Iasfhn said:
ok but while I'd be waiting could I start working? also what if the company I'd work for would choose it's own employees than they can't tell if PRs or citizens would want it because the employers would choose me.
No - you wouldn't be able to work while you are waiting.

It doesn't matter if the employers want to choose you. If there are qualified Canadians they must be hired first. If an employer wants to hire you, they must go through the LMIA process to prove they have to hire a foreign worker and can't find a Canadian for the job.