+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Status from Student to Worker

Cvgj

Feb 9, 2019
i have tried to find out a options to apply on line but unfortunately i couldn't find anything over cic website. if husband and wife both are student then how can husband apply for open work permit? and even i could find any paper application form also,will you be kind enough to sent me any link so i can understand the way to make application either online or paper base . please help me from you end.you may can call me on 6475745212. really need you help
Hey did you dins any solution??
I'm searching for the same....can you pls guide me if you fojnd any?
Pls replu....i need your help

rehank

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
Read the OP's post again. His wife is here on a study permit as well. He can therefore switch to an open work permit as an accompanying spouse.
Hy Scylla,

I'm eagerly waiting for you reply and help. The same situation but my husbands a citizen and I want to withdraw from studies and apply for OPW and apply for Spousal PR. Please advise. Semester has already started , Do I need to withdraw from school ? Or just apply for OPW ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hy Scylla,

I'm eagerly waiting for you reply and help. The same situation but my husbands a citizen and I want to withdraw from studies and apply for OPW and apply for Spousal PR. Please advise. Semester has already started , Do I need to withdraw from school ? Or just apply for OPW ?
If you want to withdraw from school and stop attending classes, I would recommend you apply to change your status to visitor to ensure you don't accidentally end up in Canada without status after you drop out of school.

At the same time, your husband can sponsor you for PR inland and include an OWP with the inland application. You must stop working as soon as you stop attending school. You'll be able to start working again once the OWP is approved. This will take around 4 months from the time the inland application + OWP is receive.

rehank

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
If you want to withdraw from school and stop attending classes, I would recommend you apply to change your status to visitor to ensure you don't accidentally end up in Canada without status after you drop out of school.

At the same time, your husband can sponsor you for PR inland and include an OWP with the inland application. You must stop working as soon as you stop attending school. You'll be able to start working again once the OWP is approved. This will take around 4 months from the time the inland application + OWP is receive.
Ya because summer semester is starting next week. And Im not enrolled or paid fees to take classes. Shall I get approved leave and apply for OPW ? So my status is protected or visitor visa would be the best option ? So this is the form I have to fill out and change my status from student to visitor ? : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-student.html

Because right now OPW are taking about a month or two so I was thinking of straight applying OPW. But Im scared if my status is already invalid or becomes invalid due to not attending school. So I was debating if take official leave or apply visitor and then OPW.

And how long will be my OPW valid till ? And can I apply spousal right away with OPW?

Thanks for your response. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ya because summer semester is starting next week. And Im not enrolled or paid fees to take classes. Shall I get approved leave and apply for OPW ? So my status is protected or visitor visa would be the best option ? So this is the form I have to fill out and change my status from student to visitor ? : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-student.html

Because right now OPW are taking about a month or two so I was thinking of straight applying OPW. But Im scared if my status is already invalid or becomes invalid due to not attending school. So I was debating if take official leave or apply visitor and then OPW.

And how long will be my OPW valid till ? And can I apply spousal right away with OPW?

Thanks for your response. :)
You can only apply for the OWP together with the inland spousal sponsorship application. You cannot apply for the OWP separately (before you apply for PR). OWP does not take a month or two. As said in my original response - you're looking at four months.

rehank

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
You can only apply for the OWP together with the inland spousal sponsorship application. You cannot apply for the OWP separately (before you apply for PR). OWP does not take a month or two. As said in my original response - you're looking at four months.
Ohkay makes sense. Because two of my cousins got OPW in a month and a half.

So just last advise from you . Shall I convince school and take approved leave due to emergency somehow or change status to visitor ? and then apply for OPW?
Any way to check if my study permit is cancelled ? even though its valid till Nov 2019.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Looks like you have been out of school since January 2019. Did you have approved leave from your school? It is possible that you have lost your status already.

rehank

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
Looks like you have been out of school since January 2019. Did you have approved leave from your school? It is possible that you have lost your status already.
That’s the main concern for me too, Idont know how to check if I lost the status already. That’s why I’m debating if I should change my status to visitor and then apply for OPW AND spousal PR.
When we apply for visitor , they don’t question that you camr as a student and you want to be a visitor now ?
I’m applying for OPW this month so shall I apply under current study permit ?
I came from Dubai last week but I didn’t have problem at port of entry.

Jerome85

Oct 13, 2019
Hi Guys,

I have the same status with some of you.
Me and my wife got our study permits and we are starting in January!
However, I would like to change my status from study to work permit.

I am thinking of 02 options:

- Apply now before entering in Canada. But then, I am afraid that if it is refused, I would also loose my study permit. (The only advantage of applying outside of Canada for my case, is that, this would be quick).

- Applying from Canada (But it seems that it takes a huge time : 04 months).

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Best regards.

J.

Jerome85

Oct 13, 2019
I applied for Dependent work permit and got it. Again I renewed it this year. Your work permit would be valid till your spouse's permit is valid. I submitted form IMM5710.
Hi,

Could you tell me what documents did you submit?

I am in the same situation as you were. Did you first withdraw from school ?

Best regards,

J.

Julliet

Apr 14, 2019
Hey guys I hope someone help me.I came to Canada as an international student and went to school for one year and dropped out before my school went on strike and school workload was pushed on us to finnish the semester.At first I thought I could push through but I couldn’t and this was my 3rd semester in my 2year program.I didn’t drop my courses on time and my school was asking me to still pay my tuition even though I left the school the day after the deadline to and didn’t drop my course.Fast forward my school seized my transcripts until I pay for my third semester which I didn’t complete.i asked them to at least give me my transcripts for the 2 semester(1year)I paid for but they refused I got faustrated as a student paying for my own tuition and everything so I let and let it be.I met my employer who applied for an LMIA for me and was approved.I applied for work permit and they are processing it now but I received an email from CIC requesting for my Canadian transcripts and to write an explanation if I can’t provide it and why.I have a picture of my school grades from my school login which shows I was in school for the one year at least and the semester I left was put on my transcripts too.what should I do in this case.Do you guys think I could get refused for not finnishing school?This was a closed work permit with my employer

Last edited:

Jforero

Apr 14, 2022
Hi everyone,

I am going to start a course in Montreal - Canada the next year (2023). After starting the course, is it possible to change my status from student to worker?

Contact some people and I would like to work as an engineer. I have not managed to get a job offer so I decided to go as an international student. after starting I would like to change status to worker. it's possible?

Thanks