+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Marital Status during application process

Sharls

Apr 1, 2021
Hello all

Is there a requirement to advise IRCC if marital status changes while waiting for citizenship (during the process) or is the requirement to advise them before taking the Oath? I note a statement to the effect of the latter is included in the declaration at the end of the citizenship application form (“I agree to advise IRCC if any information on this form changes before I take the Oath of Citizenship”).

If IRCC has to be advised during the process, how is this done? Is it through a web form (can documents, such as a Marriage Certificate, be uploaded)? Will advising of change in marital status cause any delays in the process?

If IRCC is advised of the change in Marital Status (e.g. marriage) during the process, in what name will the Citizenship Certificate be issued? Maiden Name or Married Name?

Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello all

Is there a requirement to advise IRCC if marital status changes while waiting for citizenship (during the process) or is the requirement to advise them before taking the Oath? I note a statement to the effect of the latter is included in the declaration at the end of the citizenship application form (“I agree to advise IRCC if any information on this form changes before I take the Oath of Citizenship”).

If IRCC has to be advised during the process, how is this done? Is it through a web form (can documents, such as a Marriage Certificate, be uploaded)? Will advising of change in marital status cause any delays in the process?

If IRCC is advised of the change in Marital Status (e.g. marriage) during the process, in what name will the Citizenship Certificate be issued? Maiden Name or Married Name?

Thank you.
1. No, unless you want your new married name on the certificate.

Reactions: Sharls

canada-dream

Aug 5, 2017
Hello all

Thank you.
I'm in this situation. I got married and my citizenship application is still in process. Should I notify Ircc or it's not needed. What did you eventually do?

Jenny_1995

Dec 20, 2022
Hello all

Thank you.
Hi There, I am in the same situation, Did you advise IRCC of your marital status change ? and if yes, how did you do it? Thanks much!

Jenny_1995

Dec 20, 2022
I'm in this situation. I got married and my citizenship application is still in process. Should I notify Ircc or it's not needed. What did you eventually do?
Hi There, I am in the same situation, Did you advise IRCC of your marital status change ? and if yes, how did you do it? Thanks much!

eparker42

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
Other
@Jenny_1995
I submitted my application in April 2022
Got married in July 2022.
I sent a web form to Ircc about change in marital status and also attached the marriage certificate
I got a response in 3 weeks saying they have received & updated the details.
So there is no harm in letting them know about it and doesn’t affect your application

e_ca

Star Member
May 23, 2016
I contacted IRCC via the webform to update my marital status last year. In my last GCMS notes after 5 months of sending an update request, it was still not updated. So it is hit or miss. I would suggest doing your diligence and informing them so that at least you'll have proof saying you informed them. So the burden of updating it is on them now.
IRCC representative on phone said they can't update marital status over the phone.