+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chance of Sponsor Denial and Visa Time Crunch

haru22

Sep 30, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have been scouring these forums the past few days but I haven't been able to find the answer. How often are people deemed ineligible to be a sponsor? I am sponsoring my common law partner, she is here on a working holiday visa and has a job but I do not. We live rent free with my parents until I finish my Bach. of Education (we had a lease drawn on stating exactly this).
Would I be deemed ineligible as a sponsor?

Also,
My partner's visa expires December 13th, it is a working holiday visa (she is Korean) and can not be extended. If we do not receive a verdict on our application by that time, does she need to leave the country?
We sent our application September 21st by courier, and it was supposed to arrive September 24th. It is now September 30th and our package is still stuck in a processing plant!! We are worrying if that means she will need to return to Korea December 13th and as such invalidate our Inland Application!

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to shed some light on our situation, as I have not been able to sleep well, and according to my partner my dark circles have grown ten times darker!!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

I have been scouring these forums the past few days but I haven't been able to find the answer. How often are people deemed ineligible to be a sponsor? I am sponsoring my common law partner, she is here on a working holiday visa and has a job but I do not. We live rent free with my parents until I finish my Bach. of Education (we had a lease drawn on stating exactly this).
Would I be deemed ineligible as a sponsor?

Also,
My partner's visa expires December 13th, it is a working holiday visa (she is Korean) and can not be extended. If we do not receive a verdict on our application by that time, does she need to leave the country?
We sent our application September 21st by courier, and it was supposed to arrive September 24th. It is now September 30th and our package is still stuck in a processing plant!! We are worrying if that means she will need to return to Korea December 13th and as such invalidate our Inland Application!

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to shed some light on our situation, as I have not been able to sleep well, and according to my partner my dark circles have grown ten times darker!!
Hi

No, you will not be refused as a sponsor because you are unemployed.

She doesn't need to return to Korea. If she included an OWP app with the inland PR app, she will have Implied Status; note that she will have to stop working once her IEC permit expires and can resume working once she receives the OWP. She may also want to apply for a visitor extension just before her IEC permit expires, as a backup in case the PR/OWP app is returned.

Reactions: haru22

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can show your savings, her savings, her work, student loans, help from family to show that you are supporting yourselves without government help.

haru22

Sep 30, 2018
Hi

No, you will not be refused as a sponsor because you are unemployed.

She doesn't need to return to Korea. If she included an OWP app with the inland PR app, she will have Implied Status; note that she will have to stop working once her IEC permit expires and can resume working once she receives the OWP. She may also want to apply for a visitor extension just before her IEC permit expires, as a backup in case the PR/OWP app is returned.
She stayed in Canada for 6 months as a visitor before obtaining her IEC, will she still be able to apply for a visitor extension? IE, she will have been in Canada for 1 year and 6 months at that point. I am just worried if no agent opens our package before December 13th that she will not have implied status.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
She stayed in Canada for 6 months as a visitor before obtaining her IEC, will she still be able to apply for a visitor extension? IE, she will have been in Canada for 1 year and 6 months at that point. I am just worried if no agent opens our package before December 13th that she will not have implied status.
Yes, she can still apply for a visitor extension. As I said, it is just a backup in case the PR/OWP app is returned.

It doesn't matter when the package is opened. All that matters for Implied Status is date of receipt.