+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC - Work Experience when Canadian company sends you overseas

Jul 22, 2024
Hello everyone,

I am working as a Software Developer in a Canadian company and because of the project I am in, I need to perform work in Australia.
So far due to my responsibilities I was in New Zealand for 2 weeks, 2 months in Australia and another 2 months in Australia. I still get paid from my Canadian company and work in the same company, they just need to me to work overseas as my company gets projects from different countries.

In my PR application I said 'yes' to the question if I completed my 1 year in the company as technically I did but I was only in Canada for the 11 months of it. I got mixed opinions from immigration offices on this. Some says I am still employed by a Canadian company so IRCC would accept it. Others say they would count the time I am physically in Canada.

I really need a definitive answer on this because the points are so high and I don't think I will get invited when I finish my two years in the company. I am debating if I should get out of this project if IRCC won't count my time in Australia. If you know anyone in the similar situation and how they processed with their application, it would be great if you can share it.

Thank you so much.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am working as a Software Developer in a Canadian company and because of the project I am in, I need to perform work in Australia.
So far due to my responsibilities I was in New Zealand for 2 weeks, 2 months in Australia and another 2 months in Australia. I still get paid from my Canadian company and work in the same company, they just need to me to work overseas as my company gets projects from different countries.

In my PR application I said 'yes' to the question if I completed my 1 year in the company as technically I did but I was only in Canada for the 11 months of it. I got mixed opinions from immigration offices on this. Some says I am still employed by a Canadian company so IRCC would accept it. Others say they would count the time I am physically in Canada.

I really need a definitive answer on this because the points are so high and I don't think I will get invited when I finish my two years in the company. I am debating if I should get out of this project if IRCC won't count my time in Australia. If you know anyone in the similar situation and how they processed with their application, it would be great if you can share it.

Thank you so much.
It doesn’t count as Canadian experience, if that is what you are asking. It is foreign experience.

Jul 22, 2024
It doesn’t count as Canadian experience, if that is what you are asking. It is foreign experience.
Yes I was curious if it counts as Canadian experience or not. Why would it count as foreign experience? Is it because I am physically not in Canada? In this case should I stay in the project until I work outside of Canada for one year to count that as 1 year foreign experience? I am not sure if they will accept it as foreign experience either because I am still working in the Canadian company...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes I was curious if it counts as Canadian experience or not. Why would it count as foreign experience? Is it because I am physically not in Canada? In this case should I stay in the project until I work outside of Canada for one year to count that as 1 year foreign experience? I am not sure if they will accept it as foreign experience either because I am still working in the Canadian company...
Because Canadian experience is IN Canada. IRCC counts work experience for Canadian company as foreign all the time. Many people work remotely now. Are you being transferred to their Canadian office and getting a work permit in that country?

Jul 22, 2024
I am an employee of the Canada office at all times. For New Zealand, I had business visitor visa as I was there for meetings and for Australia I applied for a temporary work visa, but stayed as the employee of the Canadian office at all times.

If you think my time outside Canada doesn't count as Canadian experience, how should I enter my dates in the EE profile? I can divide the times I am in Canada and Australia in the application form but what company name am I going to put for Australia section? I still work in the Canadian company... Thanks a lot for your answer.

JadeTiger

Star Member
Jan 10, 2024
I am an employee of the Canada office at all times. For New Zealand, I had business visitor visa as I was there for meetings and for Australia I applied for a temporary work visa, but stayed as the employee of the Canadian office at all times.

If you think my time outside Canada doesn't count as Canadian experience, how should I enter my dates in the EE profile? I can divide the times I am in Canada and Australia in the application form but what company name am I going to put for Australia section? I still work in the Canadian company... Thanks a lot for your answer.
I'm not a lawyer or a migration consultant, but I had the same situation and I decided to create my express entry profile only after I had more than 365 working days inside Canada, excluding all business travels.
I do not remember how I provided this information in my express entry profile work history, but after ITA I provided letter of explanation with all my work periods (how many days I was in Canada and how many did I work remotely due to business needs).

Reactions: canuck78

Margee patel

Star Member
Nov 3, 2019
Hello everyone,

Thank you so much.
As much as you payroll was running continually from Canadian company, IRcc doesn’t care where you travelled. It will count as your Canadian experience. But you must mention your travel history in your PR application and purpose of travell.

Jul 22, 2024
I'm not a lawyer or a migration consultant, but I had the same situation and I decided to create my express entry profile only after I had more than 365 working days inside Canada, excluding all business travels.
I do not remember how I provided this information in my express entry profile work history, but after ITA I provided letter of explanation with all my work periods (how many days I was in Canada and how many did I work remotely due to business needs).
Thanks a lot. I think this is the safest option for me as well. Do you think it would be okay to not mention about Australia in my EE application and when I get the invitation I would show them I still have over a year of work inside Canada? I am confused about how to exclude the dates I am away from Canada in EE because I am technically still working for the same Canadian company. So I don't know what to write for the date intervals I worked outside Canada. I would maybe choose Australia as the country but still give the same details and address of the Canadian company?

Jul 22, 2024
As much as you payroll was running continually from Canadian company, IRcc doesn’t care where you travelled. It will count as your Canadian experience. But you must mention your travel history in your PR application and purpose of travell.
Is this how you applied and get your PR? I didn't get a confident answer like yours from anyone on this. It feels like a grey area to me. Can you explain where you know this information?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That isn’t true. Potentially maybe the case for short business travel but these are lengthy stays.

Jul 22, 2024
I think you should call IrCC and ask agent to explain you about this
There is no number to call... I believe only immigration lawyers can reach them through email. If there is anyone with a similar situation, I would be glad to hear how they filled their EE profile. Thank you all.

TSQUARE

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Thanks a lot. I think this is the safest option for me as well. Do you think it would be okay to not mention about Australia in my EE application and when I get the invitation I would show them I still have over a year of work inside Canada? I am confused about how to exclude the dates I am away from Canada in EE because I am technically still working for the same Canadian company. So I don't know what to write for the date intervals I worked outside Canada. I would maybe choose Australia as the country but still give the same details and address of the Canadian company?
This is my opinion. Personally, I would assume while working and receiving salary from your Canadian Company overseas, all instructions regarding your job procedure and contract / project management directive comes from your Canadian office. So it means whatever experience or knowledge you are using abroad is still Canadian experience. You don't have an Australian office do you? Just put all your experience as Canadian experience and fill out the period you are away and highlight them as work or business travels. Except if you are going to stay permanently overseas. The more you include or add unnecessary information, the more your application becomes complex and confusing. my 2 cents.

Jul 22, 2024
This is my opinion. Personally, I would assume while working and receiving salary from your Canadian Company overseas, all instructions regarding your job procedure and contract / project management directive comes from your Canadian office. So it means whatever experience or knowledge you are using abroad is still Canadian experience. You don't have an Australian office do you? Just put all your experience as Canadian experience and fill out the period you are away and highlight them as work or business travels. Except if you are going to stay permanently overseas. The more you include or add unnecessary information, the more your application becomes complex and confusing. my 2 cents.
So in the work history section on EE, should I separate each interval I worked at Canada and Australia you mean? So let's say January to March in Canada, March to May in Australia? I guess I would add all these sections as a new job and the only difference in them would be the country I choose. The company name etc would be same. Also it only allows me to choose by month so if I worked in Australia May 25th to August 3rd, would I be able to choose June to August?

Also what about the vacations I took(2 weeks and 1 week in different countries)? Do I need to exclude in my work history as well?

Last edited: