+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC inland applicant with spouse outland - post COPR process

brs.123

Star Member
Jul 31, 2019
Hi everyone,

I applied under OINP on 11-Jul-2018, I am in-land applicant with out-land common-law partner. Yesterday (13-Nov-2020) I finally got my COPR; however, I did not get anything for my common-law partner. No instructions, no COPR, anything for him. Reading other inputs, it looks like it is normal. Is it normal for this kind of application that the principal applicant get the COPR first? I have sent my photo to Kitchener IRCC as requested on the letter, and my Gkey account shows that my application still in process. Can you guys let me know your thoughts about my case. He was included since the very beginning in all my previous application, and he was always mentioned as my common-Law on my visitor visa since 2013, so it is very unlikely that our relationship is on discussion. My common-Law partner is heartbreak, I do not know what else to tell him. After 2 1/2 years apart, it is mentally exhausted all this uncertainty about which will be the next step on this endless process. It is frustrating, how can I be happy for my PR if I do not know what is going on with his. Thank you in advance ;)
Your partner will def get a passport request. Where is he residing? Also did you get any ghost updates at all? I am curious as my GCMS notes says everything passed but my account is showing in progress. Also please share your VO as well.

Angelimarb

Jan 17, 2020
Hi thank you for your replied. The kitchener office replied that we should contact the closest visa office where he is residing. In his Case, he is currently in Venezuela, so our office is Mexico city. As mentioned, I applied in 2018, I never asked for the GCMS notes. in all this time our file got transferred between Ottawa and Halifax twice, and finally Kitchener email me the COPR. It is normal that they do not update the account for a while after the process is completed. A friend of mine got his PR and the GCKey account was still showing in progress. My account still shows in progress. I will post updates of our process as it goes. Have a nice day guys.

Reactions: brs.123

SALLYMA

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
I think you are the 1st person with a spouse outland who has received copr
Since now you are a permanent resident, your partner can travel to Canada if he has visitor visa

Reactions: Angelimarb

Angelimarb

Jan 17, 2020
Hi Sallima, he does not have visitor visa, they refused all his visa applications during all this time. An agent explained me that it is normal for officers to denied visas to outland partner when they are included in a permanent resident application in process. Now, we will apply for a permanent resident travel document. I am not sure how this process goes, but I will keep you guys posted. I was advised by Kitchener office to contact the closest visa office to his current country of residency. I am waiting for Mexico office to answer me. Have a nice day.

brs.123

Star Member
Jul 31, 2019
I think you are the 1st person with a spouse outland who has received copr
Since now you are a permanent resident, your partner can travel to Canada if he has visitor visa
I think he can travel to Canada, as she has COPR means she is permanent resident of Canada... and on the website he can come as immediate family member.. '
"""""'To be eligible, you must be both

• an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or permanent resident
""""

SALLYMA

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
I think he can travel to Canada, as she has COPR means she is permanent resident of Canada... and on the website he can come as immediate family member.. '
"""""'To be eligible, you must be both

• an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or permanent resident
""""
He can travel provided he has travel documents under his name (stamped passport/ppr/copr)

brs.123

Star Member
Jul 31, 2019
when he will land please notify us whtother documents were required. I am in the same situation waiting for copr but want a confirmation if the dependents can travel or not

Angelimarb

Jan 17, 2020
Hi guys, Today I was finally able to speak to an agent on the helping line. He told me it is the normal process, and that he cannot get a COPR if he is outside Canada. The agent from helping line advised us to wait for instruction on my account. he said under COVID the landing process for outland is different. Also I contacted the Kitchener office again and they advised me to contact Mexico city office. I sent a web form to Mexico today. I will be posting the outcome for sure. good night.

brs.123

Star Member
Jul 31, 2019
but he can get a ppr and get stamped the passport. once the passport is stamped he will get a copr. thats my understanding

shomaro

Jan 6, 2020
Hi guys, Today I was finally able to speak to an agent on the helping line. He told me it is the normal process, and that he cannot get a COPR if he is outside Canada. The agent from helping line advised us to wait for instruction on my account. he said under COVID the landing process for outland is different. Also I contacted the Kitchener office again and they advised me to contact Mexico city office. I sent a web form to Mexico today. I will be posting the outcome for sure. good night.
Actually this is a good news because previously they will hold the whole case that PA is in Canada but at least one dependent in the case is outside Canada.

Angelimarb

Jan 17, 2020
Hi guys, last Friday, we got the passport request letter for my husband. This was 1 week after mine COPR letter. I got the letter on my Gckey account and on my email from the Mexican Office. They requested him to sent his passport and two pictures to the closest VAC office to complete the process and give him a Visa. Our VAC office in Caracas, Venezuela is opened. We have to pay courier fees, the VAC service transmission fees, and sent over the VAC consent form + Passport, Pictures to Mexico Office. Each process is different, but see here below my process summary for your reference:
-OINP sent out on 11-July-2018 - Paper based application
-Received in August, 2018 and linked to my account
-Medical exam requested for both of us on May, 2019
-Estimated final decision date: 11-Feb-2020
-Real final decision on Principal applicant 13-Nov-2020 and passport request for outland husband 20-Nov-20

One of my friend got his PR for the whole family last Friday, after 2 years, so I think they are clearing off backlogs. I wish you guys best of luck,
Have a nice day.

aviator777

May 31, 2016
Hi guys, I am CEC inland applicant. AOR 17may and Biometrics submitted on 2Nov. Still Waiting for COPR. Eligibility passed, criminality in process, security and medical not started. Now, I am planing for my wedding end of Dec which will be outside canada and I will away for a week. I called Cic call enter for my options to avoid COPR issued while I am away. So, She adviced to inform cic via webform for the week I will be away and also mention that I will be adding spouse to my present application. I need clarification on few things;
1) Is it good idea to add spouse at this time? I believe if I do another application later on it will take allot of time.
2)Will cic officer be generous enough to accept such requests?
3) if you any other suggestions, that will be appreciated. Thank you