+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC eligibility\admissibility question

illimopets

Jul 1, 2013
Hi all,

I came to Canada on Work Permit

Then I decided to apply for study permit because I got accepted to George Brown

I got my study permit but I still had my work permit till october. Even though Intl Students are not supposed to work first 6 months I kept working till my WP expired. I mean I had valid SIN and everything.

Now it is time for me to gather documents for CEC (I have completed 12 months on my PGWP)

I always go back to that moment and think maybe I shouldn't have worked that 1 month left.

Could somebody plz tell me if i can get in trouble applying for CEC because of that?

Like I said I got my study permit and my work permit was still valid so I used it to the end.

Please help

illimopets

Jul 1, 2013
Somebody please help! I am so tensed right now. Even If i broke the law back then, will CIC find out while reviewing my CEC application?

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
If you can't get an intelligent answer on this thread (and sadly I don't have one for you ) then consider asking it on the Study thread. No one likes it when people spam their questions on every thread but sometimes you don't reach your target audience on the first try. I can understand why you are uptight. Try reading through the OP Manuals for CEC and Students and do googles as well as searches on the Main Forum page for this issue. Good luck.

rshellym

Jun 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2012
Doc's Request.
20-06-2013
AOR Received.
13-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
illimopets said:
Hi all,

I came to Canada on Work Permit

Then I decided to apply for study permit because I got accepted to George Brown

I got my study permit but I still had my work permit till october. Even though Intl Students are not supposed to work first 6 months I kept working till my WP expired. I mean I had valid SIN and everything.

Now it is time for me to gather documents for CEC (I have completed 12 months on my PGWP)

I always go back to that moment and think maybe I shouldn't have worked that 1 month left.

Could somebody plz tell me if i can get in trouble applying for CEC because of that?

Like I said I got my study permit and my work permit was still valid so I used it to the end.

Please help
As soon as you get your study p, your wp is no longer valid. I know it is kinda tricky, but it is true. It doesn't matter whether nor not you have your SIN etc... I can't tell if VO will find out you worked on your study p. However, you should not include the experience you got while you were a student.

illimopets

Jul 1, 2013
rshellym said:
As soon as you get your study p, your wp is no longer valid. I know it is kinda tricky, but it is true. It doesn't matter whether nor not you have your SIN etc... I can't tell if VO will find out you worked on your study p. However, you should not include the experience you got while you were a student.
:eek: OMG I AM SCREWED THEN, EH?

Why did they issue an OFF-CAMPUS WORK PERMIT to me then, and then PGWP? Didn't they do background checks on me? Or maybe they didn't find out? I am so scared now, because when I received my study permit back then there was no note or letter saying that my WP is no longer valid.

Is there a link somewhere that says that? I don't mean to say I don't trust you no, but I just wanna read the exact info on that.

Do VOs check that you fulfilled the requirement of all your previous stays and etc? I mean if they didn't call\notify me back then that I wasn't supposed to work on my WP what are the chances they just didn't know anything about it? And how can actually they find out I did work if I wasn't caught?

Seniors plz help me! Maybe I am wasting my time here gathering all the docs for PR :( :( :(

Is there any way I can overcome this situation? I mean they let you overcome the criminal inadmissibility and stuff...

rshellym

Jun 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2012
Doc's Request.
20-06-2013
AOR Received.
13-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
illimopets said:
:eek: OMG I AM SCREWED THEN, EH?

Why did they issue an OFF-CAMPUS WORK PERMIT to me then, and then PGWP? Didn't they do background checks on me? Or maybe they didn't find out? I am so scared now, because when I received my study permit back then there was no note or letter saying that my WP is no longer valid.

Is there a link somewhere that says that? I don't mean to say I don't trust you no, but I just wanna read the exact info on that.

Do VOs check that you fulfilled the requirement of all your previous stays and etc? I mean if they didn't call\notify me back then that I wasn't supposed to work on my WP what are the chances they just didn't know anything about it? And how can actually they find out I did work if I wasn't caught?

Seniors plz help me! Maybe I am wasting my time here gathering all the docs for PR :( :( :(

Is there any way I can overcome this situation? I mean they let you overcome the criminal inadmissibility and stuff...
You misunderstand what I wrote. You came to Canada with a WP, so I assumed yours was a closed WP. Your off canpus wp and co-op wp are always always always valid as a work permit until YOUR STUDY P EXPIRES. BTW, nobody tells you about this not sure why. Once your study p expires, so do your co-op wp and off campus wp no matter how long your wp is valid until expiry. Once you get a new legal status, your old one is no longer valid too. In your case, you got your study p before your wp expired, which is good. However, your wp was no longer valid after you got your study p. Again, I am not sure if VO will find out your work during that one month. I am not the VO.

Immigration officers who issue your study p/co-op wp/off campus wp do tack your record in the past. However, I am not sure if they actually serch what kind of company and how long you work for etc......

Did you pay tax on your income you gained during that period? I mean......did you include your income during that time when you filed your income tax return? If your answer is yes, that will be a problem in the future. Yes, I agree with you. If you don't get cought, you might be fine down the road while your case is processed.

illimopets

Jul 1, 2013
rshellym said:
You misunderstand what I wrote. You came to Canada with a WP, so I assumed yours was a closed WP. Your off canpus wp and co-op wp are always always always valid as a work permit until YOUR STUDY P EXPIRES. BTW, nobody tells you about this not sure why. Once your study p expires, so do your co-op wp and off campus wp no matter how long your wp has until expiry. Once you get a new legal status, your old one is no longer valid too. In your case, you got your study p before your wp expired, which is good. However, your wp was no longer valid after you got your study p. Again, I am not sure if VO will find out your work during that one month. I am not the VO.

Immigration officers who issue your study p/co-op wp/off campus wp tack your record in the past. However, I am not sure if they actually serch what kind of company and how long you work for etc......

Did you pay tax on your income you gained during that period? I mean......did you include your income during that time when you filed your income tax return? If your answer is yes, that will be a problem in the future. Yes, I agree with you. If you don't get cought, you might be fine down the road while your case is processed.

Yes I did file my taxes but I had no idea I was doing smth wrong since nobody told me i wasn't even supposed to work. I thought I was perfectly legally entitled to work. My taxes were fine etc.

What kind of problem in the future do you mean? With taxes or with immigration? Do they check your SIN history while processing your CEC application?

Also do they go back and check every single permit you've had in Canada in your life? or do they only check the one that let you gain your 12 months of experience? In my case that would be PGWP.

Somebody else has an opinion for me?

rshellym

Jun 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2012
Doc's Request.
20-06-2013
AOR Received.
13-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
illimopets said:
Yes I did file my taxes but I had no idea I was doing smth wrong since nobody told me i wasn't even supposed to work. I thought I was perfectly legally entitled to work. My taxes were fine etc.

What kind of problem in the future do you mean? With taxes or with immigration? Do they check your SIN history while processing your CEC application?

Also do they go back and check every single permit you've had in Canada in your life? or do they only check the one that let you gain your 12 months of experience? In my case that would be PGWP.

Somebody else has an opinion for me?
You have to claim your past work experience in the last three years. I, again, assume your first work experience will be part of your three year work experience. The VO will notice you worked under study p and will exclude those working hours. If that is the end of the story, that is good. However, even if you don't have to send your old T4&NOA, IF the VO REQUESTS those old documents, you will get cought.

illimopets

Jul 1, 2013
rshellym said:
You have to claim your past work experience in the last three years. I, again, assume your first work experience will be part of your three year work experience. The VO will notice you worked under study p and will exclude those working hours. If that is the end of the story, that is good. However, even if you don't have to send your old T4&NOA, IF the VO REQUESTS those old documents, you will get cought.
So there is no point for me to even apply for PR for that month that I screwed up? Is that what you're saying?

I will definitely go see a lawyer.

Anybody else can shed some light on my situation?

rshellym

Jun 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2012
Doc's Request.
20-06-2013
AOR Received.
13-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
illimopets said:
So there is no point for me to even apply for PR for that month that I screwed up? Is that what you're saying?

I will definitely go see a lawyer.

Anybody else can shed some light on my situation?
Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaase don't get me wrong. I am not saying you should not apply for PR under CEC. I am just talking about possibility, which you asked in your post. I highlt suggest to see and talk to an immigration lawyer/a consultant you can trust and see what they have to say about your situation. The sooner the better. Keep us posted, OK?

illimopets

Jul 1, 2013
rshellym said:
BTW I have just checked my T4s and NOA for that period, they don't mention the DATES of employment, only income, taxes, CPP etc.

There is no way my 1 month of illegal work can be deducted from T4 and NOA

What I'd like to hear is if there is actually a way for CIC to find out that info if you don't submit your paystubs... That work was not included in 12 months of CEC, I am not including those paystubs, even if they ask for T4s and NOA there are no dates...

I am not trying to lie and stuff but it would be stupid not to apply just because I screwed up once, I didn't even know I was not supposed to work on my still valid WP so I cannot say I regret doing that, I just didn't know and fell victim to my lack of info... S*** happens, what is important now is what to do next?

Seniors plz help! Should I go ahead and apply hoping they do not notice that 1 month I worked long time ago? Or should I just give up now?

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Did you get an ROE Record of Employment when you quit working at that job. It is given to employees documenting their work history so they can apply for Employment Insurance if they have worked long enough to qualify. That would be a government document.

lucky_CA

Star Member
Jan 13, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2013
Doc's Request.
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
IELTS Request
Send with application
File Transfer...
09-07-2013
Med's Request
29-01-2014
Med's Done....
12-2-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-02-2014 (Ottawa) , 07-03-2014 (local visa office)
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2014
did you work on-campus after your receive your study permit or off-campus?

illimopets

Jul 1, 2013
Pippin said:
Did you get an ROE Record of Employment when you quit working at that job. It is given to employees documenting their work history so they can apply for Employment Insurance if they have worked long enough to qualify. That would be a government document.
I did yes, is it a problem?