+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC Application in Process, LMO/WP about to expire... :-/

vivaio

Sep 29, 2013
hi folks!

hoping for some input on what i can do. here are the basiscs of my current status...

- working legally based on a positive LMO (2 years)
- LMO about to expire this month
- applied for CEC last year, application is in process (AOR received in 3 months ago)
- looking to get implied status and keep working for current employer

my application to extend my stay (IMM5710E) is filled out but i still have difficulty to understand the best approach. here are my questions...

- i choose open work permit and not the restoration of my status as a worker, correct?
- to i fill in my LMO's case number into the LMIA field or leave it blank?
- do i fill in any employer informmation for the open work permit or leave those fields blank?
- what are the chances that my work permit gets extended for another year?
- last but not least: should i apply for a visitor visa instead of an open work permit? (which would mean i have to stop working when the LMO expires)

questions about the IMM5710E in general: coming into canada (date and place of your ORIGINAL entry to canada) - which time is meant by that? the last time my status changed i assume?

hope i didn't make it sound too complicated. any input is much appreciated!

thanks!
vivaio

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

vivaio said:
hi folks!

hoping for some input on what i can do. here are the basiscs of my current status...

- working legally based on a positive LMO (2 years)
- LMO about to expire this month
- applied for CEC last year, application is in process (AOR received in 3 months ago)
- looking to get implied status and keep working for current employer

my application to extend my stay (IMM5710E) is filled out but i still have difficulty to understand the best approach. here are my questions...

- i choose open work permit and not the restoration of my status as a worker, correct?
- to i fill in my LMO's case number into the LMIA field or leave it blank?
- do i fill in any employer informmation for the open work permit or leave those fields blank?
- what are the chances that my work permit gets extended for another year?
- last but not least: should i apply for a visitor visa instead of an open work permit? (which would mean i have to stop working when the LMO expires)

questions about the IMM5710E in general: coming into canada (date and place of your ORIGINAL entry to canada) - which time is meant by that? the last time my status changed i assume?

hope i didn't make it sound too complicated. any input is much appreciated!

thanks!
vivaio
1. It is not when the LMO expires, it is when your work permit expires. If your work permit is expiring in less than 4 months, then you can apply for Bridging Open Work Permit.
2. Yes, if you meet the condition in 1.
3. Blank
4. N/A
5. If you meet the condition in 1. then excellent.
6. Pretty silly if you meet the condition in 1.

vivaio

Sep 29, 2013
great, thanks for your input!

should i add my current employer's information and a letter stating that my
contract will be extended past the LMO duration?

my last entry into canada was when i left to the US for a trip. before that was when i got my current work permit issued. which one of those do i fill into the application?

jenish3333

Aug 18, 2014
WINNIPEG
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
Doc's Request.
15-05-2014, 15-01-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2014
IELTS Request
SENT WITH AN APPLICATION
File Transfer...
17-04-2014
Med's Request
15-05-2015
Med's Done....
26-05-2015
Interview........
WIEVED
Passport Req..
05-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-06-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Just so you know man!!!!!
If you are working on LMO And now applying for BOWP You MUST include NO OBJECTION LETTER from your employer. Other wise your application will be rejected for open work permit. And I am pretty sure about this.

Cheers!!!!!!!!

vivaio

Sep 29, 2013
never heard of that, thanks for letting me know. can you lead me to a website with more information or explain with a bit more detail why that is neccessary? i have not seen such requiremenr in the document checklist even though it sounds very serious and important. thanks again!

ps. happy easter holidays everyone!

Kota1978

Jan 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney,Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Sep-2014
AOR Received.
30-Jan-2015
Med's Request
24-Feb-2016
Med's Done....
07-Mar-2016
Interview........
RPRF email on Mar-03-2016, paid same day.
Passport Req..
14-Apr-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-May-2016
LANDED..........
15-May-2016--Yipee!!!!
jenish3333 said:
Just so you know man!!!!!
If you are working on LMO And now applying for BOWP You MUST include NO OBJECTION LETTER from your employer. Other wise your application will be rejected for open work permit. And I am pretty sure about this.

Cheers!!!!!!!!
Hi jenish3333,

Your perception is totally wrong, I came in LMO in 2013 & after getting AOR I applied for open work permit & got it successfully on march 10,2015. You don't need to attach no objection letter from your employer, that would breach the purpose of open work permit.

jenish3333

Aug 18, 2014
WINNIPEG
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
Doc's Request.
15-05-2014, 15-01-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2014
IELTS Request
SENT WITH AN APPLICATION
File Transfer...
17-04-2014
Med's Request
15-05-2015
Med's Done....
26-05-2015
Interview........
WIEVED
Passport Req..
05-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-06-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Kota1978 said:
Hi jenish3333,

Your perception is totally wrong, I came in LMO in 2013 & after getting AOR I applied for open work permit & got it successfully on march 10,2015. You don't need to attach no objection letter from your employer, that would breach the purpose of open work permit.
Hmmmmmm
That's interesting because one of my friend got rejection. and thy give the reason that missing no objection letter from employer.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jenish3333 said:
Hmmmmmm
That's interesting because one of my friend got rejection. and thy give the reason that missing no objection letter from employer.
1. Since there is no "no objection" letters for employers, either your friend is making up "porkies" or didn't really understand why he was refused.

vivaio

Sep 29, 2013
thanks for all the feedback guys. i will leave out the 'no objection letter' for this application. got one more question about #3 on the IMM5710E form on which one of those to pick:

1. a work permit with the same employer
2. an initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
3. restoration of your status as a worker
4. temporary resident permit

i would think it's number 2. number one would bind me to the same company i am with now so it wouldn't be considered an "open work permit", number 3 we already determined is wrong and so is number 4 (visitor visa). am i seeing that right?

just to make sure i get all of it right under COMING INTO CANADA...

"date and place of your original entry to canada":
do i punch in the information when i first came here as a tourist a few years ago on a visitor visa?

right below it is "date and place your most recent entry to canada":
i provide the information when i got my work permit issued and type in my work permit document number and NOT last time i crossed the border which was coming back from a short US road trip, correct? there are several numbers on my work permit and the document field only allows for 10 digits to be inserted. is that the black number on the top right corner of my work permit starting with a "U" (right under the larger red 11-digit number) or the application number below starting with a "W"?

last but not least, should i send the application in the mail to buy me some time instead of online?

regards,
vivaio

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
vivaio said:
thanks for all the feedback guys. i will leave out the 'no objection letter' for this application. got one more question about #3 on the IMM5710E form on which one of those to pick:

1. a work permit with the same employer
2. an initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
3. restoration of your status as a worker
4. temporary resident permit

for the Question # 3, i picked option 1 and still got BOWP.. since you are applying for BOWP which is ALWAYS open work permit, you will not get a close wp regardless of what employment status.

i would think it's number 2. number one would bind me to the same company i am with now so it wouldn't be considered an "open work permit", number 3 we already determined is wrong and so is number 4 (visitor visa). am i seeing that right?

just to make sure i get all of it right under COMING INTO CANADA...

"date and place of your original entry to canada":
do i punch in the information when i first came here as a tourist a few years ago on a visitor visa?
This is first original entry which was also as a tourist for me and i have been using the same everytime.

right below it is "date and place your most recent entry to canada":
i provide the information when i got my work permit issued and type in my work permit document number and NOT last time i crossed the border which was coming back from a short US road trip, correct? there are several numbers on my work permit and the document field only allows for 10 digits to be inserted. is that the black number on the top right corner of my work permit starting with a "U" (right under the larger red 11-digit number) or the application number below starting with a "W"?
This one should be the last date of "Entry" into Canada, not when you received the most latest permit..if u made any visits outside of Canada since your original entry, then use the most latest date of entry into Canada

last but not least, should i send the application in the mail to buy me some time instead of online?
Since you already have AOR, you can apply online..

regards,
vivaio

vivaio

Sep 29, 2013
great, appreciate all the advice. my application was delivered a day before my work permit expired. i now hope for a positive response.

worst case scenario is they refuse the extension and i loose my "implied status", how long do i have to leave canada and what are my options in terms of staying? could i do a walk around the flag pole at a nearby US border and return as a visitor or is the risk of getting refused too big? or should i already apply for a tourist visa now just in case?

vivaio

Sep 29, 2013
hey, any advice for the worst case scenario anyone? just want to make sure there is a plan B at least. of course i am hoping to not have to go down that route but you never know...

cheers

Kota1978

Jan 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney,Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Sep-2014
AOR Received.
30-Jan-2015
Med's Request
24-Feb-2016
Med's Done....
07-Mar-2016
Interview........
RPRF email on Mar-03-2016, paid same day.
Passport Req..
14-Apr-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-May-2016
LANDED..........
15-May-2016--Yipee!!!!
vivaio said:
hey, any advice for the worst case scenario anyone? just want to make sure there is a plan B at least. of course i am hoping to not have to go down that route but you never know...

cheers
On a lighter node...

Book a ticket to your home country as plan B....

CEC2013RAY

Jul 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2014
Doc's Request.
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
02-03-2015
Passport Req..
01-03-2016
vivaio said:

cheers
I am wondering why you have't applied for EE yet? You should get a ITA with LMO. It seems visa officers are focusing on EE now. It's much faster if you don't mind paying another processing fee. At the same time, you can still apply for BOWP with your AOR from CEC. It doesn't conflict.

I would definitely go through EE if I were you.

vivaio

Sep 29, 2013
@Kota1978
are you implying that all the options i mentioned won't work? i don't think booking a flight now would be smart, i can do that any time so not sure what to take from your post...

@CEC2013RAY
when i applied for CEC the EE was not available yet. and let's just say my employer can't get another LMO. applying for EE is not up for consideration, i'm only months away from my PR results so why bother going through another process again? does it help me with my implied status, which is my actual concern currently?