+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CBC is taking side of international students and TFW, EXPRESS ENTRY FLawed!

vicksandhu

Aug 11, 2012
EXPRESS ENTRY FLAWED

But there are bigger problems with the point system's treatment of student applicants and temporary foreign workers who are already in Canada.

Pagtakhan says many students and most low-skilled foreign workers aren't invited to apply because they aren't given credit for studies or work in Canada.

"There should be a way to recognize [work experience] in the system by assigning more points to individuals who are working here and studying here," he said. "That's where Express Entry is failing."

Lower skilled temporary foreign workers who have been in Canada some time have no pathway to permanent residency, he says, even when employers, usually in remote regions, can demonstrate year after year there are no Canadians to take the jobs.

"If they're participating in the economy, paying taxes and helping a business sustain or grow, why would you say they have to leave?" Pagtakhan asked.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mccallum-refugees-mandate-letter-1.3317654

liamE

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/07/2015
Lower skilled temporary foreign workers were never allowed to apply for pr through Cec before express entry either. The Lmia exempt work permit holder's situation is horrible but those are two different issues and conflating them won't help people to push for change.

seab

Star Member
Mar 1, 2013
International students are not as screwed as everyone thinks. If you work two years and you are within the typical age of a recent graduate and you've got good English skills your score will be 469.
With the express entry program we are seeing CEC applications processed in 2-3 months. When you factor in the fact that the old system took 14-18 months to process, the international students end up getting PR in the same time frame as they did before.

sngm1201

Star Member
Jun 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry buddy but your facts are incorrect . Max points an international student can get is 447 with two years exp and 9 bands in ielts ( given he/she came here directly after grade 12 ) .

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
sngm1201 said:
Sorry buddy but your facts are incorrect . Max points an international student can get is 447 with two years exp and 9 bands in ielts ( given he/she came here directly after grade 12 )
469 without a spouse, with bachelor's degree, with age <30, maxed IELTS and 2 years Canadian experience. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
liamE said:
Lower skilled temporary foreign workers were never allowed to apply for pr through Cec before express entry either. The Lmia exempt work permit holder's situation is horrible but those are two different issues and conflating them won't help people to push for change.
Exactly.

Cbc could have researched properly &/or used basic research/CIC info to present an accurate report.

RamsayBolton

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why is it flawed? Why does Canadian government have to prioritize outland applicants? while they already have all those good educated and already paying taxes international graduates in the country already. Remember, the Canadian government doesn't have to spend a single dollar to train, to educate, to take care of housing or to provide any benefits for us international students. We came here on our own, worked our asses off four years of college, and found a job in a completely new country.

anarsoul said:
469 without a spouse, with bachelor's degree, with age <30, maxed IELTS and 2 years Canadian experience. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp
Not every international students can max out the IELTS test and achieve 2 years working Canadian experience before their PGWP expired, so the new system indeed only selects the best candidate both inland and outland.

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
RamsayBolton said:
Why is it flawed? Why does Canadian government have to prioritize outland applicants? while they already have all those good educated and already paying taxes international graduates in the country already. Remember, the Canadian government doesn't have to spend a single dollar to train, to educate, to take care of housing or to provide any benefits for us international students. We came here on our own, worked our asses off four years of college, and found a job in a completely new country.
Man, it's egoism now talking in you, not fairness.

Not every international students can max out the IELTS test and achieve 2 years working Canadian experience before their PGWP expired, so the new system indeed only selects the best candidate both inland and outland.
OK, 457 with CLB9 for each ability. And if international student can't achieve 2 years working out of 3 years of PGWP, why do you believe (s)he's better than some outland candidate?

seab

Star Member
Mar 1, 2013
You can't blame Canada for wanting the best immigrants. If you're here for 6 years ( 4 years undergrad and 2 years work experience) you should make an effort to improve your English or french and get it to at least CLB 9 if not perfect.

RamsayBolton said:

sngm1201

Star Member
Jun 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anarsoul said:
I knew someone would bring this up . As I said , if a person didn't have bachelors then it wouldn't be possible to achieve more that 447 points with 2 yrs exp . Long story short , International students are screwed !!!! waiting for rules change which is turning out to be wishful thinking now .

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
sngm1201 said:
I knew someone would bring this up . As I said , if a person didn't have bachelors then it wouldn't be possible to achieve more that 447 points with 2 yrs exp . Long story short , International students are screwed !!!! waiting for rules change which is turning out to be wishful thinking now .
Could you elaborate why student with no degree should have an advantage over an outlander with a degree?

RamsayBolton

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sngm1201 said:
I don't agree with you. If an international student doesn't have a bachelor, he doesn't stand a chance to compete with other candidates.

anarsoul said:
Man, it's egoism now talking in you, not fairness.

OK, 457 with CLB9 for each ability. And if international student can't achieve 2 years working out of 3 years of PGWP, why do you believe (s)he's better than some outland candidate?
I don't see how it's egoism. It's a fact. There's no guarantee that an outland applicant will be able to find a job in Canada after he's landing here. Why don't just go with those already has a job and at least 5 years living, studying and working in Canada.

To be able to achieve 2 years working experience, an international student must land a full-time job within the first year of his PGWP. Even if he can find a job in the second year, he's still pretty much screwed, for the maximum CRS point he can achieve is 416. What international students don't have is time.

From my personal experience, except for IT and accounting, it's pretty hard for an international undergraduate to find a stable and full-time job in the first year after graduate.

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
RamsayBolton said:
I don't see how it's egoism. It's a fact. There's no guarantee that an outland applicant will be able to find a job in Canada after he's landing here. Why don't just go with those already has a job and at least 5 years living, studying and working in Canada.

To be able to achieve 2 years working experience, an international student must land a full-time job within the first year of his PGWP. Even if he can find a job in the second year, he's still pretty much screwed, for the maximum CRS point he can achieve is 416. What international students don't have is time.

From my personal experience, except for IT and accounting, it's pretty hard for an international undergraduate to find a stable and full-time job in the first year after graduate.
So, they aren't able to find a job and they wasted their possibility to gain +50 points. And now they're begging additional points based only on the fact that they've got Canadian diploma. Could you explain once again how come they are better than outland candidates?

RamsayBolton

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anarsoul said:
So, they aren't able to find a job and they wasted their possibility to gain +50 points. And now they're begging additional points based only on the fact that they've got Canadian diploma. Could you explain once again how come they are better than outland candidates?
Who are they? who are begging for additional points? who only has diploma? I'm talking about international students with bachelor degree who don't have enough time to land a good job in their first year after graduating. I'm talking about people who are already here in Canada, and already working fulltime and paying taxes for more than 1 year. I'm not talking about those international undergrads with some sh*tty diploma in some crappy art schools (no offence to art major people). Canada deserves the best candidates they can find.