+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Tourist Visa for Filipino

Cac

Apr 13, 2024
Hi, everyone. I am planning to apply a Canadian tourist visa for a 2 weeks stay. I was invited by a friend who will shoulder all of my expenses, including the flight tickets and accommodation. How much bank balance should I have on my account for me to get approved? Thank you in advance for answering!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, everyone. I am planning to apply a Canadian tourist visa for a 2 weeks stay. I was invited by a friend who will shoulder all of my expenses, including the flight tickets and accommodation. How much bank balance should I have on my account for me to get approved? Thank you in advance for answering!
You should ideally show that you have enough funds to cover all of the costs of the trip yourself. There is a lower chance of approval otherwise.

Make sure you also show strong ties to your home country such as employment and property ownership.

Cac

Apr 13, 2024
You should ideally show that you have enough funds to cover all of the costs of the trip yourself. There is a lower chance of approval otherwise.

Make sure you also show strong ties to your home country such as employment and property ownership.
Really appreciate your response, scylla. But my friend will cover everything for me, including the foods and trips to wherever we plan to go. So basically, I just need my visa approved, go there and I won't have to think of anything else. Do I still need to show proof that I can pay for myself the whole trip?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Really appreciate your response, scylla. But my friend will cover everything for me, including the foods and trips to wherever we plan to go. So basically, I just need my visa approved, go there and I won't have to think of anything else. Do I still need to show proof that I can pay for myself the whole trip?
It's your choice.

Your chances of getting your visa approved will be lower if you are not able to show sufficient funds to cover the costs of the trip yourself.

Cac

Apr 13, 2024
It's your choice.

Your chances of getting your visa approved will be lower if you are not able to show sufficient funds to cover the costs of the trip yourself.
Hi again, Scylla. I fully understand what you mean. Thank you for your time and reply. Last question though. I can actually show them a bank statement with sufficient funds, but the problem is, my account is my payroll account from the company I work for. Will it be acceped? I mean, I've read from other posts here in the forum that you need to show them your personal savings account and I don't have that. I closed mine last year and transfer all of my savings into my payroll account. That's my biggest worry.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi again, Scylla. I fully understand what you mean. Thank you for your time and reply. Last question though. I can actually show them a bank statement with sufficient funds, but the problem is, my account is my payroll account from the company I work for. Will it be acceped? I mean, I've read from other posts here in the forum that you need to show them your personal savings account and I don't have that. I closed mine last year and transfer all of my savings into my payroll account. That's my biggest worry.
I don't know.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
I see. I guess, I have to figure out a way then. Or just open another personal savings account. Thank you so much again for the time, scylla.
As I commented to another recent poster from the Phils, there is no magic number to show in a bank account. But, as @scylla noted, it should be enough to cover all travel, food and accommodation costs. In your case, for 2 weeks, the amount should not be all that much, but I suppose the IRCC might look for something in the range of P200,000, plus air travel cost (maybe in the range of P80,000 for that item). As well, better if it does not appear that the visit will use up all your savings.

The IRCC looks for steady employment, as one tie for returning to the RP, and it seems you have that. A letter from the employer allowing you 2 weeks vacation for the trip would help support the application. It would also help if you have travelled in the past to countries that require visas, such as USA, UK, Australia, N. Zealand.

As for the "payroll account", that is not something in am really familiar with. I take it it's in the employer name and not yours, yet segregated funds there are yours. You could show it and send a letter of explanation to the IRCC. Maybe better to show it and then show you transferred the money to an account you open in your own name. While that would show as a very recent account, it should be apparent that the funds came from the payroll account and that you have always had control over the funds.

Cac

Apr 13, 2024
As I commented to another recent poster from the Phils, there is no magic number to show in a bank account. But, as @scylla noted, it should be enough to cover all travel, food and accommodation costs. In your case, for 2 weeks, the amount should not be all that much, but I suppose the IRCC might look for something in the range of P200,000, plus air travel cost (maybe in the range of P80,000 for that item). As well, better if it does not appear that the visit will use up all your savings.

The IRCC looks for steady employment, as one tie for returning to the RP, and it seems you have that. A letter from the employer allowing you 2 weeks vacation for the trip would help support the application. It would also help if you have travelled in the past to countries that require visas, such as USA, UK, Australia, N. Zealand.

As for the "payroll account", that is not something in am really familiar with. I take it it's in the employer name and not yours, yet segregated funds there are yours. You could show it and send a letter of explanation to the IRCC. Maybe better to show it and then show you transferred the money to an account you open in your own name. While that would show as a very recent account, it should be apparent that the funds came from the payroll account and that you have always had control over the funds.
Hi, Kaibigan! Your inputs are really helpful. Thank you so much! I have more questions, though. Sorry if I'm taking advantage of your kindness. Lol.

If I already booked a return ticket, isn't 200,000 pesos too much for a 2-week trip? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but based on my computation, the overall cost for travel, food, and accommodations ranges from $1,500 to $2,000 only, which is around 100,000 pesos. $80 a night for a normal hotel, $20 to $30 a day for food since I don't eat a lot, and an unlimited ride on a bus or metro that costs $20 for 3 days. That's a total of $1,640. If I'm right with the computation, I think 200,000 pesos is a good amount since you said that it's better if it does not appear that the visit will use up all my savings.

And yes, I have steady work here in the Philippines. But I am actually new to this company and started in January. I have a contract with them that says if I resign within 2 years since I started, I will pay them 150,000 pesos. Should I show that contract to the IRCC? Will that help as proof that I'll be back in my home country, or will I make them think that after the contract period I have with my company, I might go back to Canada and stay there?

Regarding my payroll account, it is named directly under my name. Our company has a contract with this certain bank; that's why our HR opened the account for me. But I have the ATM card; all of the details on the application are mine, and I have access to it. HR is sending my salary through this account. That's how it works, kaibigan. I was just worried that it wouldn't be accepted since it's a 'payroll account type' and not a 'personal savings type'. But based on what you said, maybe it will work just fine with showing them my newly opened personal savings account and an explanation letter.

Your opinion will be really appreciated because it seems to me that you are well versed in this stuff.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Hi, Kaibigan! Your inputs are really helpful. Thank you so much! I have more questions, though. Sorry if I'm taking advantage of your kindness. Lol.

If I already booked a return ticket, isn't 200,000 pesos too much for a 2-week trip? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but based on my computation, the overall cost for travel, food, and accommodations ranges from $1,500 to $2,000 only, which is around 100,000 pesos. $80 a night for a normal hotel, $20 to $30 a day for food since I don't eat a lot, and an unlimited ride on a bus or metro that costs $20 for 3 days. That's a total of $1,640. If I'm right with the computation, I think 200,000 pesos is a good amount since you said that it's better if it does not appear that the visit will use up all my savings.

And yes, I have steady work here in the Philippines. But I am actually new to this company and started in January. I have a contract with them that says if I resign within 2 years since I started, I will pay them 150,000 pesos. Should I show that contract to the IRCC? Will that help as proof that I'll be back in my home country, or will I make them think that after the contract period I have with my company, I might go back to Canada and stay there?

Regarding my payroll account, it is named directly under my name. Our company has a contract with this certain bank; that's why our HR opened the account for me. But I have the ATM card; all of the details on the application are mine, and I have access to it. HR is sending my salary through this account. That's how it works, kaibigan. I was just worried that it wouldn't be accepted since it's a 'payroll account type' and not a 'personal savings type'. But based on what you said, maybe it will work just fine with showing them my newly opened personal savings account and an explanation letter.

Your opinion will be really appreciated because it seems to me that you are well versed in this stuff.
I am not sure where you will be in Canada, but you mention your computation and it appears you have learned that $80/night is okay for hotel, $20-30/day for food, etc. There may well be places that inexpensive, but not many in cities.

Just out of curiosity, I did one tiny bit of research just now. I was on the phone last night with a Filipino friend who lives in Merritt, British Columbia. It's a small city in the BC interior. Not really a tourist spot. Just an ordinary small city with about 7,500 residents. So, of all the places in Canada, I decided, in random fashion, to check it out as a place to stay. The cheapest hotel I found online quoted me $92/night and $1,288 for 14 nights, plus $343 taxes and fees, for a total of $1,631, or $116 per night. It took me a moment to realize that the Wyndham hotel it was showing me at those prices was not in Merritt, but in Kamloops, at city of about 100,000 not far from Merritt. So then I focussed on Merritt and the cheapest I found was $150/night, plus taxes and fees. Major cities in Canada, in summer, are likely to be priced at $200+ for a basic room. But, probably in some areas, $80/night places can be found. As for food, $30/day would probably not be enough if always eating in restaurants, even a local carinderia.

So, I think your calculations a bit on the light side, but not totally unrealistic. I would not expect the matter to be given microscopic scrutiny by the IRCC and if your budget and resources look ballpark reasonable, you should be okay.

I might show your work contract to the IRCC. A penalty of $150,000 is significant for early departure and should be seen as a reason for going back. Am I right that your contract is open-ended, of indefinite duration? Or is it only for 2 years and you must pay P150,000 if you leave early? I would not show it to IRCC if it looks like your job will end when 2 years is up.

I think, too, you are good with the payroll account as long as it's plain that it's the repository for your wages and you control it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naturgrl