+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian student sponsor Chinese wife - Is it hopeless?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sponsorship by a spouse has no financial or educational requirements whatsoever, as long as the sponsor (the Canadian citizen or PR) is not on welfare or in bankruptcy.

Meaning, you can go ahead and sponsor your spouse with no worries.

snolan

Nov 27, 2009
Thank you so much for this reply.

I read so many conflicting answers my stress level has been put through the roof as I want to make sure I have all my documents in order!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not a problem.

It can be a stressful process, but at least you now know that you can sponsor her easily. :) The tough part is the PR part but if you have a real relationship you'll be just fine.

snolan said:
Thank you so much for this reply.

I read so many conflicting answers my stress level has been put through the roof as I want to make sure I have all my documents in order!

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Hey Karlshammer:

What are you doing up so late? I notice we are stumbling over each other in some posts. For me it is mid-day, but for you early it is very late!!

My solution to insomnia was to read J.S. Mill, and to try to stay awake until reaching a main verb in Utilitarianism. Invariably sleep overtook me.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Shift work, my friend. :)

Being a former philosophy major I am well acquainted with the sedative effects of utilitarian philosophy. I agree, it's kind of like a reverse caffeine pill, heh! :D

toby said:
Hey Karlshammer:

What are you doing up so late? I notice we are stumbling over each other in some posts. For me it is mid-day, but for you early it is very late!!

My solution to insomnia was to read J.S. Mill, and to try to stay awake until reaching a main verb in Utilitarianism. Invariably sleep overtook me.

dmk4

Jan 10, 2011
hi guys. I found this thread on google when searching for information about my current situation and I didn't know if I should start a new thread because this one was quite similar.

Anyway my situation is I lived in canada for a year on a working holiday visa(untill june last year) and I developed a relationship with a canadian university student. I lived with her in her parents house for 6 months after they sort of adopted me. She has been to visit me in England and I have been back to Canada to visit. I do not want to continue a long distance thing for so long though and would like to marry this woman. Is it possible for this to be approved I would like to check before I make any plans and this forum seems to have some good information. I looked on the governments website and some other sites but the information is a bit confusing. I saw on both places it says the visa would be refused if you have been seperated for more than a year? Is that right or does it mean if you marriage was more than a year ago? I can't really be living with her now so is that a problem. Also do you need to have a medical? I was prescribed antideppressents after my mother died a few years ago, would that be a problem too?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
dmk4 said:
Anyway my situation is I lived in canada for a year on a working holiday visa(untill june last year) and I developed a relationship with a canadian university student. I lived with her in her parents house for 6 months after they sort of adopted me. She has been to visit me in England and I have been back to Canada to visit. I do not want to continue a long distance thing for so long though and would like to marry this woman. Is it possible for this to be approved I would like to check before I make any plans and this forum seems to have some good information. I looked on the governments website and some other sites but the information is a bit confusing. I saw on both places it says the visa would be refused if you have been seperated for more than a year? Is that right or does it mean if you marriage was more than a year ago?
The government is talking about a legal separation - that is, when a marriage breaks down and the couple separate. If you are living apart because of immigration or work, but still love each other and are in a long-distance relationship, you are not 'separated' in that sense. So you can marry your girlfriend and she should have no problem with sponsoring you.
I can't really be living with her now so is that a problem.
No. When you submit the application just provide proof that you are maintaining a long distance relationship.
Also do you need to have a medical? I was prescribed antideppressents after my mother died a few years ago, would that be a problem too?
The applicant has to have a medical. They will not refuse you for having been depressed. At most CIC will ask you to be examined by a psychiatrist.