+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR with an academic job in the US

realsamsonite

Jun 20, 2024
Hello all,

I recently secured my Canadian Pr status this year, having lived in a this country for 5 years. My pr card expires in 2028. I recently secured an academic job in the USA starting August this year.

i am trying to gather ideas about the possibility of maintaining my PR residency status while working in the US. I have read of people staying at border towns like Windsor and Michigan. Unfortunately, my university is deeper within the USA and not along the border. What are the options for me.

I would be happy to read from everyone.

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

I recently secured my Canadian Pr status this year, having lived in a this country for 5 years. My pr card expires in 2028. I recently secured an academic job in the USA starting August this year.

i am trying to gather ideas about the possibility of maintaining my PR residency status while working in the US. I have read of people staying at border towns like Windsor and Michigan. Unfortunately, my university is deeper within the USA and not along the border. What are the options for me.

I would be happy to read from everyone.

Thanks.
If your spouse happens to be a Canadian citizen, then there are options that may allow you to count the time outside of Canada towards RO.

Otherwise you need to find a way to physically live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years to make sure you can keep PR.

Takita

May 12, 2021
If your spouse happens to be a Canadian citizen, then there are options that may allow you to count the time outside of Canada towards RO.

Otherwise you need to find a way to physically live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years to make sure you can keep PR.
@scylla

Can you tell what scenarios count RO time for living with Canada citizen spouse outside Canada?