+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Permanent Residence travel document expiration

shs2

Sep 3, 2009
My Canadian Permanent Residence travel document is getting expired in Dec of 2009.

It was approved last yr but was only given the extension until end of this yr since my old passport is getting expired.

I got the new Indian passport (since I am the citizen of India) now & need to extend my Canadian Permanent Residence again before it gets expired this yr end.

I am currently working in US, so I am wondering if:

I can extend it at any Canadian Consulate in US (say Buffalo) or do I need to cross the border from US into Canada (say Toronto) in order to renew it?

Also, how soon should I extend/renew it if it's getting expired in this Dec.?

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Generally you get a PR travel document so you can travel to Canada to apply for your PR card. Have you been using it to go back and forth? Are you planning on getting a new PR card at any point?

I don't see why you can't apply for a new PR travel document as long as you still meet the PR residency requirements but they don't issue them in Canada so you would have to apply in the US. The reason they don't issue them in Canada is because they are issued to PR's who are trying to go back to Canada because they don't have a PR card (expired or lost). If you were already in Canada, then you could just apply for a PR card.

shs2

Sep 3, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

I am currently working in US right now.
I haven't applied for a Canada PR card until now.
The only reason why I wanted to go to Canada is to extend/renew the Travel document before it gets expired in Dec of this yr.
So, are you suggesting me to:
1. Get the extended/renewal of Travel document here in US at a Canadian consulate (maybe in Buffalo) without crossing the border (into Toronto) ?
or
2. Do u want me to cross the border & apply for a PR card in Toronto?

Thnx again for all ur help!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not sure I understand your situation. You haven't applied for a PR card until now? You mean you have never had a PR card?

When did you land as a PR?

If you need a PR card, you need to cross the border to apply for it but you may need a PR travel document to get in. If you drive, it's not supposed to be a big deal to just use your landing papers.

shs2

Sep 3, 2009
I haven't applied for a PR card, so never had it until now.

I landed as a PR in May of last yr & returned back to US (Detroit) by car.

So, i m planning to cross the border from Buffalo (NY) to Toronto by car since they issued the travel document until Dec of this yr based on my old passport's expiration.

I got my new passport now & so have to extend/renewal travel document & maybe apply for PR card this time when I drive into Toronto?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A travel document is normally given for you to get to Canada to apply for your PR card. It's not meant to be used to travel back and forth. Of course it's up to you what you do. If you can't stay in Canada long enough to apply for your PR card, then there is no point in applying for it now. Finish your business in the US and when you are ready to move to Canada, go and apply for your PR card then.

canvi

Feb 20, 2013
Hello,

I have a question on travel document.

I had to come back to India before receiving my PR card in Canada (I am new landed permanent resident). I applied for travel document in order to return to Canada as permanent resident.

I read on cbsa website that

"The Single Journey Travel Document will be issued in conjunction with a counterfoil visa and will include a die-cut photo. Without seals over the counterfoil and photo, the document is not valid for travel. The document will be recovered by the port of entry officers upon arrival in Canada."

What is a die-cut photo ? Does it mean my photo will not be clear on travel document?

So will I get my travel document in a sealed envelope OR will the "visa part" and "photograph part" of the travel document be covered with another paper/seal so that it can't be seen by anyone else.

If it is so, can I open the seal myself and see the details for visa and my photograph (to verify they are correct and they belong to me)?

OR should I simply carry the document as is and immigration officer at Canada airport will open the seal?

How can I verify that I got my travel document with all accurate details without being rejected.

Please suggest. Thanks a lot for all your help.

canvi

Feb 20, 2013
Hello Delcan, You sent me me a message but I can't send personal messages to anyone on this forum.
I hope you see this message. If you see it, please reply here on this forum, so that I know.

For me it took nearly 25 days to get travel document. But usually it takes only 10 business days (sometimes less). The reason for delay in processing my application is due to the fact that CIC staff were on strike at that time. I am not sure if the strike is still going on. You can call consulate office in NewDelhi to find out if the stirke is still on.
There will not be any issues to enter Canada with travel document,as you already have met all conditions for PR and landed successfully. You only travel document to enter Canada (no other documents such as income proof, employment etc...). As many other people say, you should carry "Confirmation of Permanent Residency" just in case.
When I landed in Toronto, the customs officer asked "on which visa, I am coming to Canada". I mentioned that "I am coming to Canada using travel document".
The other thing is that "Customs officer" in India airport at the time departing, didn't understand what type of visa, I have. I explained to him that it is travel document. Then he stamped my passport. There will not be any issues to enter Canada with travel document. Just make sure you have some id proofs/marriage certificate, as customs officer can ask for proof of ids if they want to.

Please remember that you can't apply for visitor visa once you became PR. If you apply for visitor visa (to enter Canada) instead of Travel document, your application will be returned. I am sure about this.

calgaryboy24

Star Member
May 29, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-10-2012
AOR Received.
August-2012
Med's Request
March-20-2013
Med's Done....
April-06-2013
canvi said:
Hello Delcan, You sent me me a message but I can't send personal messages to anyone on this forum.
I hope you see this message. If you see it, please reply here on this forum, so that I know.

For me it took nearly 25 days to get travel document. But usually it takes only 10 business days (sometimes less). The reason for delay in processing my application is due to the fact that CIC staff were on strike at that time. I am not sure if the strike is still going on. You can call consulate office in NewDelhi to find out if the stirke is still on.
There will not be any issues to enter Canada with travel document,as you already have met all conditions for PR and landed successfully. You only travel document to enter Canada (no other documents such as income proof, employment etc...). As many other people say, you should carry "Confirmation of Permanent Residency" just in case.
When I landed in Toronto, the customs officer asked "on which visa, I am coming to Canada". I mentioned that "I am coming to Canada using travel document".
The other thing is that "Customs officer" in India airport at the time departing, didn't understand what type of visa, I have. I explained to him that it is travel document. Then he stamped my passport. There will not be any issues to enter Canada with travel document. Just make sure you have some id proofs/marriage certificate, as customs officer can ask for proof of ids if they want to.

Please remember that you can't apply for visitor visa once you became PR. If you apply for visitor visa (to enter Canada) instead of Travel document, your application will be returned. I am sure about this.
Hello Canvi, i saw above that you recently got PR and applied for Travel document from India? I would like to know about the process and criteria needed for this document. I am almost similar situation too.

I became pr in July and waiting for my pr card to arrive but i need to go to India due to some emergencies and cant wait for pr card. I will apply for travel document to enter Canada but i am not sure about the process and requirements. I am concerned about the criteria to stay in Canada for 730 days before you leave or something like this?

As you have gone through the process, could you please tell me about the process and if there is any refusal while applying for travel document. Thanks in advance

canvi

Feb 20, 2013
Hi Calgaryboy24,

In order to apply for travel document, you must first leave Canada. You can't apply for travel document from Canada. When you land in India, visit any VFS office or call VFS office customer care and ask them to send all documents required for Travel document. You need to fill in all the documents and take them to either VFS office (if you use VFS office services) or courier them to CONSULATE office in Delhi.
As far as I know there is no criteria to live in Canada for 730 days before leaving Canada. I left Canada before receiving PR card (just 1 month after I landed as Permanent Resident). I went to India and applied for travel document and came back to Canada. I didn't live in Canada for 730 days after landing. I believe the 730 days duration is to maintain your status in Canada as PR.
So you can leave Canada and apply for travel document from India. Travel document is issued only for 6 months duration. So, if you get travel document on 1st September 2013 (lets say), it will expire on 28th February. So you have to plan to come back to Canada by 28th Feb 2014 using travel document.
As long as you write your reason for leaving Canada (before receving PR card) in the travel document application , I believe the application will not be rejected.
Reasons could be your marriage, your family member's marraige, or some legal paper work etc.... If possible, show some proof for your reason. I showed it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Having spent 730 days in Canada in the previous 5 years is a requirement for those who have been PR for 5 years or more.

If you haven't been a PR for 5 years yet, the requirement is that you still have time to stay 730 days in Canada before your first 5 years are up.

calgaryboy24

Star Member
May 29, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-10-2012
AOR Received.
August-2012
Med's Request
March-20-2013
Med's Done....
April-06-2013
canvi said:
Hi Calgaryboy24,

In order to apply for travel document, you must first leave Canada. You can't apply for travel document from Canada. When you land in India, visit any VFS office or call VFS office customer care and ask them to send all documents required for Travel document. You need to fill in all the documents and take them to either VFS office (if you use VFS office services) or courier them to CONSULATE office in Delhi.
As far as I know there is no criteria to live in Canada for 730 days before leaving Canada. I left Canada before receiving PR card (just 1 month after I landed as Permanent Resident). I went to India and applied for travel document and came back to Canada. I didn't live in Canada for 730 days after landing. I believe the 730 days duration is to maintain your status in Canada as PR.
So you can leave Canada and apply for travel document from India. Travel document is issued only for 6 months duration. So, if you get travel document on 1st September 2013 (lets say), it will expire on 28th February. So you have to plan to come back to Canada by 28th Feb 2014 using travel document.
As long as you write your reason for leaving Canada (before receving PR card) in the travel document application , I believe the application will not be rejected.
Reasons could be your marriage, your family member's marraige, or some legal paper work etc.... If possible, show some proof for your reason. I showed it.

Thanks for the information Canvi, i reached India recently and will be applying for travel document next week. lets see, hoping for the best :D

calgaryboy24

Star Member
May 29, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-10-2012
AOR Received.
August-2012
Med's Request
March-20-2013
Med's Done....
April-06-2013
Leon said:
Having spent 730 days in Canada in the previous 5 years is a requirement for those who have been PR for 5 years or more.

If you haven't been a PR for 5 years yet, the requirement is that you still have time to stay 730 days in Canada before your first 5 years are up.
Thanks for your help Leon

eshotel

Star Member
Mar 20, 2009
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 Aug 2012
AOR Received.
23 Oct 2012
IELTS Request
Already submitted with App
File Transfer...
8 Nov 2012
Med's Request
17 April 2013
Med's Done....
2 May 2013
Passport Req..
17 April'13/ Sended on 7 May 2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
Already in Canada
Hi everyone....

I have a question... It will be a great help if any one suggest me some solutions

I am in Canada I got my PR from India... Means landing papers.... Now before applying for PR card I need a trip to india ....
I talked to my lawyer he told me I can travel with copr .. But I search in web that its risky
Coz leaving will not be a problem but coming it will be a problem they may ask u the visa validations or some visa staps... N I don't have any except copr..... It will be a great help if any one reply

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eshotel said:
Hi everyone....

I have a question... It will be a great help if any one suggest me some solutions

I am in Canada I got my PR from India... Means landing papers.... Now before applying for PR card I need a trip to india ....
I talked to my lawyer he told me I can travel with copr .. But I search in web that its risky
Coz leaving will not be a problem but coming it will be a problem they may ask u the visa validations or some visa staps... N I don't have any except copr..... It will be a great help if any one reply
Coming back, unless you are visa exempt to Canada, the airline will not let you board without a PR card, travel document or a valid visa. Therefore, you would have to apply for a travel document in India which they should give you because you are a new PR and it is not possible for you to already be in breach of the RO (residency obligation).