+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship Application for minor

sdrizwan

Sep 29, 2024
Hello

Me, My wife and my child are all Permanent Residents of Canada who have completed 3 years of residence.

Me and my wife applied for citizenship individually and not as a family.

Now that our respective applications are submitted we cannot add our child to the application.

What are the steps to apply for citizenship for a minor whose parents are together but applied for citizenship individually.

Step by step guide for submitting online application would be greatly appreciated?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello

Me, My wife and my child are all Permanent Residents of Canada who have completed 3 years of residence.

Me and my wife applied for citizenship individually and not as a family.

Now that our respective applications are submitted we cannot add our child to the application.

What are the steps to apply for citizenship for a minor whose parents are together but applied for citizenship individually.

Step by step guide for submitting online application would be greatly appreciated?
Any reason you did not apply for your child in the first place?

sdrizwan

Sep 29, 2024
I tried to create a family application. But the website kept having an issue. So instead of waiting we just created individual applications. We have other married friends who did the same and they said it is fine to do so.
The only caveat is they did not have kids.
So now when i try to create an individual minor application for my child. I am not sure to select minor 5(1) application or minor 5(2). Because these sections have a question are you a parent applying for citizenship at the same time (which means as a family) . So I cannot select Yes. If I select No it asks me for citizenship certificate number which obviously I do not have.
Hence I am not sure on how to apply for my kid's citizenship. Please advise on how to apply

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I tried to create a family application. But the website kept having an issue. So instead of waiting we just created individual applications. We have other married friends who did the same and they said it is fine to do so.
The only caveat is they did not have kids.
So now when i try to create an individual minor application for my child. I am not sure to select minor 5(1) application or minor 5(2). Because these sections have a question are you a parent applying for citizenship at the same time (which means as a family) . So I cannot select Yes. If I select No it asks me for citizenship certificate number which obviously I do not have.
Hence I am not sure on how to apply for my kid's citizenship. Please advise on how to apply
You can wait to be citizen and then apply for your kid under section 5(2). The physical presence and tax filing requirement is waived off in that case. If your kid has completed 1095 days in Canada in last 5 yrs, you can apply under 5(1). They ask for tax filing if needed. I am not sure what circumstances needs kid to file tax.

sdrizwan

Sep 29, 2024
So are you saying I can apply under Minor 5(1) now as an individual application?
My kid is a PR who has completed the 1095 days condition.
But the question still remains what should i answer to the question
Do any of the parents applying for citizenship at same time? (Family application) I cannot say Yes because we have applied individually and I cannot say No because it asks for a citizenship certificate number
Please advise on how to apply and what to answer for this above mentioned question

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
So are you saying I can apply under Minor 5(1) now as an individual application?
My kid is a PR who has completed the 1095 days condition.
But the question still remains what should i answer to the question
Do any of the parents applying for citizenship at same time? (Family application) I cannot say Yes because we have applied individually and I cannot say No because it asks for a citizenship certificate number
Please advise on how to apply and what to answer for this above mentioned question
Don't use your account if you are creating application under 5(1). Create a new separate account.

sdrizwan

Sep 29, 2024
1. So you are saying I can apply for the child?2. I shoulduse a separate email account for the child?
3. What about the question on family application?