+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we use Old Reference Letter for proving work Experiences

ak207

Star Member
Sep 16, 2015
Hi Friends,

I have got Reference letter from a previous employer, 5 months back, it is a general letter to whom may concern, with the date on that and my job resposnsiblitites.

My question, can we use this letter for the proving our expereience in Canada Embassy, or do i have to go again to get the new letter for every program i apply for imigration

Regards
AK

sushsmart15

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
09-02-2017
Nomination.....
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-01-2017
Med's Done....
09-02-2017
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-017
As long as your reference letter has all the information required by CIC and you do not want to claim points for your work experience with that employer for the period after you received this existing letter, you may use this same letter as it is still valid and there will not be any expiry date for this letter. This is as per my understanding till date.

ak207

Star Member
Sep 16, 2015
sushsmart15 said:
As long as your reference letter has all the information required by CIC and you do not want to claim points for your work experience with that employer for the period after you received this existing letter, you may use this same letter as it is still valid and there will not be any expiry date for this letter. This is as per my understanding till date.
Thanks for the reply, i have left my job in 2011 and i am including it to claim the experience points. I have got the experience letter 4 months back, will it work or i have to get new one.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ak207 said:
Thanks for the reply, i have left my job in 2011 and i am including it to claim the experience points. I have got the experience letter 4 months back, will it work or i have to get new one.
It will work.

wicked31

Star Member
Feb 15, 2015
Can I use the same reference letter for my current job for ITA which I had previously used to apply for PNP 3 months ago or it has to be more recently dated?

Thank you!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wicked31 said:
Can I use the same reference letter for my current job for ITA which I had previously used to apply for PNP 3 months ago or it has to be more recently dated?

Thank you!
You can use the same letter. You will be able to claim experience only acquired till 3 months ago (as on date of that letter).

caththisking

Nov 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Passport Req..
18-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
Planning in DEC 2015
ak207 said:
Hi Friends,

I have got Reference letter from a previous employer, 5 months back, it is a general letter to whom may concern, with the date on that and my job resposnsiblitites.

My question, can we use this letter for the proving our expereience in Canada Embassy, or do i have to go again to get the new letter for every program i apply for imigration

Regards
AK
yes you can.I have used the letter which was give to me(back in Sept 2013) more than 15+ months for EE. I used that because that is the only Canadian experience i claimed and it contain from how long I am wokring in that company so was useful. In addition recent payslip after that was also added by me to prove my exp.

Reactions: vuta

vinodram

Feb 5, 2015
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottwa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I am working in the same company in Canada for last 3.5 years and I got reference letter last Sep 2014 and right now as per company policy they are not providing new Reference Letter for PR. In this case can I use the same Reference Letter and include the Pay slip till current date to prove my Experience.

Please advise and give your suggestions?

cheers
R.Vinod

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vinodram said:
Hi All,

I am working in the same company in Canada for last 3.5 years and I got reference letter last Sep 2014 and right now as per company policy they are not providing new Reference Letter for PR. In this case can I use the same Reference Letter and include the Pay slip till current date to prove my Experience.

Please advise and give your suggestions?

cheers
R.Vinod
Clearly, you can use the same and submit recent pay slips to prove continuity of work experience with the same employer.

johnwick32

Star Member
Jul 23, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
July 7
I used reference letter dated year 2011, did not get any problem on my application.

Reactions: TMC

$unn¥123

Jul 25, 2015
Hi Asivad...
U mean i can't claim points for wrk experience which i worked in 2011 to march, 2015...??

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
$unn¥123 said:
Hi Asivad...
U mean i can't claim points for wrk experience which i worked in 2011 to march, 2015...??
If the reference letter is from 2011, you will be able to use it to claim experience acquired only till that date. To claim experience gained between 2011 and 2015, you will either need a revised letter dated 2015 (I recommend this) or you can attempt to prove continuous employment from 2011-15 with the same employer using other supporting documentation like performance appraisal letters, salary revision letters, pay stubs etc.

$unn¥123

Jul 25, 2015
It was continuos period from feb 2011 to march,2015 and in experience letter HR dated on 5apr,15.... And cic says u can claim points for last ten uear work experience..
I humbly request kindly clarify this [ system u said about updated exp letter of validity] what changes i need to be made in my reference letter if required,, and i have only joining letter beside this..which is dated on 2011......

Another query is in field of sfudy what i suppose to fill?
My education is B.Arts done ECA for it..but i worked in networking designation and to get trained in this profession i did short term course in networking..i know i can't claim points for this short term education...so what u suggest what ti write B.arts or networking??
Seeking helpful advice