+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we still apply common-law partners? Please share your stories with me!

RebeccaOttawa

Mar 19, 2012
Hi everyone,

I know that one of the CIC Operation Manuals explains that it is possible for people who have already cohabited for one year, but are now temporarily apart, to apply as common-law partners:

"After the one year period of cohabitation has been established, the partners may live apart for periods of time without legally breaking the cohabitation. For example, a couple may have been separated due to armed conflict, illness of a family member, or for employment or education-related reasons, and therefore do not cohabit at present. Despite the break in cohabitation, a commonlaw relationship exists if the couple has cohabited continuously in a conjugal relationship in the past for at least one year and intend to do so again as soon as possible."

I was wondering if anyone who has been in this situation could share their story with me. Have others successfully applied as common law partners despite temporarily living apart following the one year of cohabitation?

It would be very reassuring to hear that other people have been in a similar position to mine and have still been accepted as common law partners. (My common-law partner is from the UK and I am a Canadian citizen. After living together for one year in Canada, he had to return to England for employment-related reasons. We have been temporarily separated now for six months and want to apply for permanent residency as common-law partners. He plans to come back to Canada as soon as he is finished his contract in England in July).

Thanks so much!!!

KangaRuthie

Mar 15, 2012
Hi there, your situation sounds similar to my partner and I.

I'm Australian, he is Canadian in Toronto.
I met him while on a 2yr work visa, lived with him for 14months before returning to Australia when visa expired (I didn't realize it could be extended...grrrr!!!)
I have been in Australia for almost 5months without him.
I'm planning a trip there (as a visitor) and we are getting legally married and will have our big wedding down the road.
It is all so frustrating being commonwealth citizens, you would think the Queen would look after all her people who have found their soul mates!

I was wondering the same thing as you.
Were we able to apply as common-law after living in separate countries for a couple of months?
Bit late for us now, but I was curious too!

...sorry I don't have any info!