+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Post-Graduate Diploma is equal to Master's?

Dure-Najaf

May 2, 2023
Hello everyone, I am applying for express entry visas. I have a bachelor's in architecture, which is a 5-year degree.
According to my agent, if I get a postgraduate diploma (1 year) in a relevant field, it will be equal to a master's degree when it comes to my CRS score.
I wanted to confirm this before beginning my diploma. Can someone help me out regarding this?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hello everyone, I am applying for express entry visas. I have a bachelor's in architecture, which is a 5-year degree.
According to my agent, if I get a postgraduate diploma (1 year) in a relevant field, it will be equal to a master's degree when it comes to my CRS score.
I wanted to confirm this before beginning my diploma. Can someone help me out regarding this?
I am not sure how anything that doesn't involve publishing or defending a thesis would ever be equal to a master's degree. Post graduate diploma programs don't involve defending a thesis in general. I do see M. Arch getting assessed as Masters: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/are-you-a-foreign-educated-architect-come-in-let-us-discuss.533294/post-8498537

Reactions: Taran D

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
The diploma is of 1 year and course work whereas Masters' involves coursework and majority mandatory research/thesis. It usually takes 3-4 years depending upon your research. Also depends upon the country you are doing your Masters'. Usually Masters' from India, Pakistan comes down to Bachelor's or Diploma level as per Canadian standards.

JVimalSwaroop

Mar 21, 2024
The diploma is of 1 year and course work whereas Masters' involves coursework and majority mandatory research/thesis. It usually takes 3-4 years depending upon your research. Also depends upon the country you are doing your Masters'. Usually Masters' from India, Pakistan comes down to Bachelor's or Diploma level as per Canadian standards.
So if I pursue a PG Diploma in AI & ML from a top college/university it will not fall under "Master's degree or professional degree", is it?

gdhawk

Star Member
Feb 21, 2024
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
01-12-2023
Med's Request
15-01-2024
Med's Done....
22-01-2024
That is not true. I have masters from India and it is equivalent to Canadian masters. Sometimes while applying for international programs, if you have a 5 year bachelor and 1 year of post graduate diploma, you can combine that last year of bachelor into PG and count as masters. BUT that varies country to country, type of course, the total number of credits completed and the evaluating authority. So education evaluation systems such as WES might be able to judge better.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
That is not true. I have masters from India and it is equivalent to Canadian masters. Sometimes while applying for international programs, if you have a 5 year bachelor and 1 year of post graduate diploma, you can combine that last year of bachelor into PG and count as masters. BUT that varies country to country, type of course, the total number of credits completed and the evaluating authority. So education evaluation systems such as WES might be able to judge better.
Replying to an year old post....

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay