+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my sister be my common-law partner?

shadi_2008

Aug 4, 2011
I am a permanent resident of Canada. I have left more than one year with my sister. and all of our bills have come to the same address. Can I become her sponsor as my common-law partner?
Thanks.

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
24th Jan 2012. (Canada Place)
shadi_2008 said:
I am a permanent resident of Canada. I have left more than one year with my sister. and all of our bills have come to the same address. Can I become her sponsor as my common-law partner?
Thanks.
I doubt it,the definition of a common-law couple, whether opposite-sex or same-sex, is two people who have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. A conjugal relationship іѕ more thаn a physical relationship. It іѕ a mutually dependent relationship, аnd іt hаѕ ѕοmе permanence аnd thе same level οf commitment аѕ a marriage οr a common-law union.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
shadi_2008 said:
Thanks.
No - she can't be.

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No she can't. Common-law is same as marriage, you can't possibly be married to your sister. Is she the only family member you have?

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
No - Even if you did have a marriage-like relationship, sister - brother relationships are not recognized as legal in Canada.

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shadi_2008 said:
Thanks everyone. She is the only family I have in Canada. Other members of my family live in my country.
I don't think you can sponsor her. If you were maybe an orphan and didn't have any relatives alive, then maybe you could have sponsored her as an eligible relative.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can sponsor an adult sister if you live in SK or MB and you both meet the requirements of the PNP there or you can sponsor her as one other relative if you have no spouse, no children, no parents alive, no close relatives in Canada and no other close relatives you could sponsor to Canada.

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
You can sponsor an adult sister if you live in SK or MB and you both meet the requirements of the PNP there or you can sponsor her as one other relative if you have no spouse, no children, no parents alive, no close relatives in Canada and no other close relatives you could sponsor to Canada.
If he's a pr in SK or MB already can he bring his sister? Does he have to be single or it doesn't matter in those provinces?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Quince777 said:
If he's a pr in SK or MB already can he bring his sister? Does he have to be single or it doesn't matter in those provinces?
Those provinces have a family stream component in their provincial nominee programs which allow a person regardless of their family situation to sponsor an adult relative as well as their spouse and children, could be siblings, cousins, nephews, nieces, aunts, uncles, adult children or even their parents if they aren't too old. The relatives have to meet certain requirements for their age, education and work experience as well as funds and the sponsor must have been living in the province for at least 1 year.

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shadi_2008 said:
Thanks.
I am quite disturbed by your question and am really hoping you don't know the real meaning of "common-law relationship" especially when you mentioned that this relationship is between you and your sister.

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
boasorte said:
I am quite disturbed by your question and am really hoping you don't know the real meaning of "common-law relationship" especially when you mentioned that this relationship is between you and your sister.
I think he confused common-law with just living together with his sister (no insest involved). He probably just wants to bring her to Canada.