+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAn I temporarily suspend my sponsorship application?

Apple80

Jan 23, 2014
Hello

Just need some advise before I call the Ottawa office. Recently been having on going issues with my spouse whom I am sponsoring. My spouse currently lives in the USA and only comes for visits.
At the moment I am thinking to suspend the sponsorship until I am 100% comfortable to proceed again the application. Currently the the 1st stage of the appilication has been approved.

Also if I proceed and he is granted entry and starts "acting up" what steps are available to withdraw myself or to let him return back.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Apple80 said:
Hello

Just need some advise before I call the Ottawa office. Recently been having on going issues with my spouse whom I am sponsoring. My spouse currently lives in the USA and only comes for visits.
At the moment I am thinking to suspend the sponsorship until I am 100% comfortable to proceed again the application. Currently the the 1st stage of the appilication has been approved.

Also if I proceed and he is granted entry and starts "acting up" what steps are available to withdraw myself or to let him return back.
There is no such thing as a temporary withdrawal of application or "put on hold". Once you withdraw the application it is for good. You would have to re-submit a brand new application.

It is likely that he would be given a 2-year conditional PR status. You do have to power to call CiC to let them know that your marriage has ended and CIC can revoke the PR status. However please consider the consequences of that. CIC would not just revoke his PR on your word alone. You would have to submit evidence of you actually separating / ending the marriage so that CIC cannot just do that on your word alone. Prepare to give evidence as CIC will due diligent to avoid revoking PR status out of revenge.

Screech339

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
if your spouse is from the us and you are not sure about sponsoring him, then it's best to act quickly. currently us applicants are being approved in 3 months from when the application was submitted/1 month from when it gets transferred to the visa office, and right now may applicants are receiving their approval.

good luck with your decision!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Note that is you withdraw this app, then next time you submit a new app it could face much longer delays and processing time since CIC may wonder about the legitimacy of relationship.

How long have you been married/common-law for? If you continue with app and he gets conditional PR with "Condition 51" on his landing papers, then you will both need to cohabit for 2 years afterwards to maintain his PR status. If during this 2 years you break up and/or one of you moves out, then you can report the relationship breakdown to CIC and they could start process to revoke his PR and force him to move back to USA.

Apple80

Jan 23, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
if your spouse is from the us and you are not sure about sponsoring him, then it's best to act quickly. currently us applicants are being approved in 3 months from when the application was submitted/1 month from when it gets transferred to the visa office, and right now may applicants are receiving their approval.

good luck with your decision!
Hi we been married since Feb 2014. But where together longer. Also we expecting a child in November.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Apple80 said:
Hi we been married since Feb 2014. But where together longer. Also we expecting a child in November.
Just so you are aware. If you withdraw the application until you are sure about it later. Once the baby is born and you go ahead with the PR sponsorship, he will not get conditional 2 year PR due to having a child already at time of PR submittal. You would not be able to cancel or revoke his PR status and you would be on the hook for 3 year obligation regardless of what happened between you and your husband.

Screech339

Apple80

Jan 23, 2014
screech339 said:
Just so you are aware. If you withdraw the application until you are sure about it later. Once the baby is born and you go ahead with the PR sponsorship, he will not get conditional 2 year PR due to having a child already at time of PR submittal. You would not be able to cancel or revoke his PR status and you would be on the hook for 3 year obligation regardless of what happened between you and your husband.

Screech339
Ok let me get this straight then...so if i continue to proceed and the child is born AFTER I have submitted my application. Then thats means he will only get conditional PR?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Apple80 said:
Ok let me get this straight then...so if i continue to proceed and the child is born AFTER I have submitted my application. Then thats means he will only get conditional PR?
That is correct. He would only have conditional PR despite baby being born after CIC received the application. The conditional clause would still apply even if the baby was born the day after CIC received the application.

He will only get conditional PR despite having a baby later. The conditional PR is based on the situation at time of submitting the application. At the time you submitted your application, your marriage was less than 2 years and have no children together. So if you don't withdraw the application now, he will have 2 year conditional PR status. What happens after CIC received the application has no bearing on removing conditional PR even if the baby came before he landed. He will still have conditional PR.

If you withdraw the application and waited until you are sure and the baby came then submitted the application, he would not get conditional PR on account that a child is born as thus proof enough for CIC to determine that the relationship is genuine. He would not have conditional 2 year PR. You would not be able to call CIC to cancel his PR if marriage breakdown. He would still have his PR intact and you are still liable for 3 year obligation after he lands.

Screech339

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Just to re-emphasize what was said earlier. Canceling his PR will not be as simple as a phone call to CIC. They will take your information and it will be "their" call, not yours.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
So before you are even able to live together with your husband you are already holding 'revocation' of his PR visa over his head.

You married him, have been in a relationship with him for quite some time, your own words, and now you've filed a sponsorship application for him. Because he is 'acting' up you're trying to decide if you want to cancel the application.

If you weren't sure about the relationship to begin with, why take the steps of marriage and spousal sponsorship?

I don't know what you should do, but if I were him, I'd head for the hills ....

my 2cents