+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I renew my foreign passport after completing the Citizenship exam?

badhand

Jan 5, 2015
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I applied for Canadian citizenship in November 2013 and received a notice to appear for a citizenship exam on January 15th in Vancouver. The letter states that I must bring all original documents including my passport (which is fine). I'm unsure if I would again need my passport for the citizenship ceremony, the website says that I would need to bring my "original immigration documents" but no mention of my passport.

I'm traveling in June 2015 and my passport expires in May 2015. Judging by other people's timeline, the ceremony generally happens around 2-3 months after the test... the only problem is if I wait till March-April to renew my passport I may very well miss my travel date!!! The application process outside of my home country is about 6-8 weeks.

I'm hoping that my foreign passport is NOT a requirement for the ceremony and I'm able to apply for a new passport immediately after my test on the 15th January. Does anybody have an answer to this?

Thanks!

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
badhand said:
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I applied for Canadian citizenship in November 2013 and received a notice to appear for a citizenship exam on January 15th in Vancouver. The letter states that I must bring all original documents including my passport (which is fine). I'm unsure if I would again need my passport for the citizenship ceremony, the website says that I would need to bring my "original immigration documents" but no mention of my passport.

I'm traveling in June 2015 and my passport expires in May 2015. Judging by other people's timeline, the ceremony generally happens around 2-3 months after the test... the only problem is if I wait till March-April to renew my passport I may very well miss my travel date!!! The application process outside of my home country is about 6-8 weeks.

I'm hoping that my foreign passport is NOT a requirement for the ceremony and I'm able to apply for a new passport immediately after my test on the 15th January. Does anybody have an answer to this?

Thanks!
You can renew your passport anytime you want just make sure you keep the expired one in case they ask to see it which I doubt. One question though, what if they send you oath letter while your away?

badhand

Jan 5, 2015
Goldline said:
You can renew your passport anytime you want just make sure you keep the expired one in case they ask to see it which I doubt. One question though, what if they send you oath letter while your away?
Thanks for you reply, but I have to send the expired passport in my application for the renewed one. The expired passport is returned with the new passport.

So my concern is whether or not I need to take my original passport to the citizenship ceremony (in addition to the citizenship test) - I cannot find any literature outlining this requirement, only that you need to bring the original immigration documents. If they call me in for the oath ceremony and my passport is still processing, will I be turned away?

Does anyone know what documents are required to be presented at the actual Oath Ceremony??? I will take my passport and everything else to the Citizenship Test this month but have to send it away after that.

If I'm called up for my Oath Ceremony in June when I'm out of the country I will need to reschedule the oath as its very important I go, I'm only away for 2 weeks so fingers crossed this doesn't happen.

Thanks again.