+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I re-apply for 2nd IEC whilst in Canada if I'm over 31? OTHER suggestions?

sammiek123

May 16, 2014
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or come across it online somewhere regarding my situation. I'm 32 Australian citizen and my IEC will expire in January 2017. I read Australians can work a total max 4 years but am unsure now due to the age factor when re applying.

Is it possible in anyway of extending my work visa for another 2 years whilst I'm in Canada?
Will my work visa revert to a visitors visa automatically or must I leave the country or notify someone?
Can I apply for PR whilst I'm here as I have an aunty and cousins here?

I have read CIC and it says you can re-apply for a new work permit 30 days before your current one expires but I'm not sure if that is referring to the IEC program or a different working permit. :'(

The reason for wanting to extend my stay is that my brother will only be arriving to start his work visa close to mine ending. I would like to stay to accompany him and would need to be able to work during this time otherwise I'd be bored and not making funds.

Suggestions and advice regarding my situation would be greatly appreciated. I'm not being employed as a skilled/profession worker if that helps.

Looking forward to everyone's comments!

;D

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
On the IEC question answer is no as you are now past the age limit 18-30 to apply for another IEC even if that were an option and is only for Australian participants prior to 2015 who could participate twice. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp?country=au&cat=wh

You can apply to stay on as a visitor only to dovetail the expiry of your IEC permit else you should leave the country when that permit expires. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=943&top=25 The IEC permit cannot be extended at all and if you do not extend as a visitor you would need to leave the country when the permit expires.

An aunt or cousin are not I believe close enough relatives to sponsor you or impact any qualification for PR. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

So unless you can find a job sponsor or have enough qualifications/points etc to pursue PR another route you are unfortunately limited to extending your stay as a visitor only once your IEC permit expires

sammiek123

May 16, 2014
thanks for your reply ;)

I am still reading and came across the temporary residents visa. It states on the CIC website that "temporary residents may be authorized to enter and remain in Canada as a visitor, worker or student. You can apply in Canada if you are a legally admitted student or foreign worker"

Has anyone done this and how was the process online? Was it through CIC and what documents were required?

I think I may try and apply for this visa once my IEC expires. Please let me know of your thoughts and experiences. CIC website is an absolute nightmare to be honest. I've found forum replies to be much more useful! ;D

Thanks again

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you want to remain in Canada and work, you'll need to secure a full time job offer and your employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA.

A TRV is a visitor visa. You can apply for a work permit as a visitor in Canada - but again, you'll need a full time job offer and also an approved LMIA. If you apply without the job offer and LMIA, it will end in refusal