+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I make a quick shopping trip across the border and return to validate COPR to avoid flagpoling?

melylags

Star Member
Nov 25, 2018
I've been stuck waiting for an appointment from CPC Ottawa after requesting one more than a month ago, but it's been 4 weeks and still no appointment email yet.

I have not flagpoled because I do not want to drive my husband's car since I am not on the insurance yet, so he would have to come with me. However, this also means he would also have to get a 'withdrawal' of entry card from US Customs since he would be part of the flagpoling, and we would like to avoid having this on his record seeing as we may apply for American PR for him in the future. So, is it acceptable to actually drive across the border to do some shopping, then return to validate my COPR?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I've been stuck waiting for an appointment from CPC Ottawa after requesting one more than a month ago, but it's been 4 weeks and still no appointment email yet.

I have not flagpoled because I do not want to drive my husband's car since I am not on the insurance yet, so he would have to come with me. However, this also means he would also have to get a 'withdrawal' of entry card from US Customs since he would be part of the flagpoling, and we would like to avoid having this on his record seeing as we may apply for American PR for him in the future. So, is it acceptable to actually drive across the border to do some shopping, then return to validate my COPR?
You can certainly do this. However, at some southern Ontario border crossings there are restrictions on flag-poling. There are multiple threads in the forum about this, so search around.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017

Absolutely fine.

The restrictions are for the very busy 3 Niagara crossings and apply at peak times (I think CBSA publish these, but I don't have the link), outside of those crossings and you should be fine. Dunno where you plan to cross.....

melylags

Star Member
Nov 25, 2018
Thank you, I plan to cross at the Thousand Islands crossing which I believe has no restrictions when it comes to flagpoling

Aisleen

Apr 11, 2018
I'm in the same boat sent an email to Ircc over a month ago for an appoitment in Ottawa and havent heard anything back. We plan to cross at Thousand islands crossing for lunch and come back to Canada for my landing this weekend if we dont hear back this week.

Bartiasrd

Mar 24, 2022
Driving across the border for some shopping and using the opportunity to validate your COPR sounds like a practical workaround.