+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get a PRTD while having a valid PR card?

mva11

Jul 19, 2024
Hello everyone. I got my PR card while I was abroad. Since I don't want my card sent... Can I request a PRTD to travel to Canada for this one time? After this I would be using my PR card to travel.

Thank you

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone. I got my PR card while I was abroad. Since I don't want my card sent... Can I request a PRTD to travel to Canada for this one time? After this I would be using my PR card to travel.

Thank you
Not sure, but suspect you cannot. Others will, hopefully, confirm or correct.

You would have to report your PR Card as lost or stolen, and apply for the PRTD, which would then require you to apply for the replacement card when you return to Canada.

Reactions: mva11

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It says here that "You can’t have a third party mail your PR card to you while you’re outside Canada"

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1458&top=10
As mentioned by others, people still do it.

If you choose to do this, make sure to check the import restrictions for the country where it will be sent.

Since the PR Card has an RFID `chip', it will likely be detected when it is processed at the destination (as well as possibly somewhere prior to that) and not all countries apparently allow items like these to be imported.

Maybe update your thread to include the destination country and see if anyone has personal experience with that country.

mva11

Jul 19, 2024
Thanks to everyone but my original question is:

Ponga thinks this is not possible. Hope someone else can confirm.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

I think it is but can't confirm. I mean, if they tell you that you can't send a PR card, that's your only choice - right?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020

If you don’t have PR card with you right now and you are out of country, YES you can get PRTD . Generally speaking from experience.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, you can. You may forget it home or it might get lost, for many reasons.
I think the real questions here are:
-how long it will take to get a PRTD and whether that makes sense in light of a valid PR card just a courier away;
-whether the PR card that is in the possession of the applicant but in Canada will be cancelled as a result of applying as they would do for a lost card (and I do not know the answer to that).

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
I think the real questions here are:
-how long it will take to get a PRTD and whether that makes sense in light of a valid PR card just a courier away;
-whether the PR card that is in the possession of the applicant but in Canada will be cancelled as a result of applying as they would do for a lost card (and I do not know the answer to that).
Happened with one of my Friend. He went back home without PR card as PR card was still in processing that time . PR card dispatched while he was outside Canada to his address. Applied PRTD from India , took 3 weeks to get PRTD . Came back to Canada with PRTD . Got his PR card . Travelled with same PR card to US many times .

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Happened with one of my Friend. He went back home without PR card as PR card was still in processing that time . PR card dispatched while he was outside Canada to his address. Applied PRTD from India , took 3 weeks to get PRTD . Came back to Canada with PRTD . Got his PR card . Travelled with same PR card to US many times .
Thanks for confirming that, makes sense, just haven't seen a specific case.

aizacastillo

May 25, 2018
Hi, I have a kinda similar question. My sister is a new PR, she left Canada before she got her PR card. When we received the PR card here, we sent it to her to the UAE via FedEx last week. Unfortunately, it wasn't delivered and the tracking shows it's still at Memphis, USA. We contacted FedEx multiple times from here in Canada and in the UAE but they said that they can't track the package anymore and is lost. My question is how to report a loss PR card outside Canada? Just inform the Canadian embassy at the UAE or fill out a solemn declaration form that the card is lost. Also how soon can she apply for a PRTD? Obviously, she does not meet the Residency requirement yet because she just came to Canada in June 8, 2024. Thank you to anyone who can give an answer or advise.